Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

BeoMaster 1900-2: strong volume difference on tuner vs phono input ?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 3 Replies | 1 Follower

KolfMAKER
Top 500 Contributor
The Netherlands
129 Posts
Silver Member
KolfMAKER posted on Wed, Apr 14 2021 2:49 PM

I have a BeoMaster 1900-2 and a BeoGram 1800 connected.

When I listen to the phono source on my BeoMaster 1900-2 at a comfortable volume, and then switch to radio; the sound is much louder. I would say the tuner is comfortable at about 5 volume increments less then a the phono channel. So switching from Phone back to radio more or less blasts my ears out!

The BeoGram 1800 does not have a RIAA pre amp, but the BeoMaster 1900-2 does. I also tried a different turn table (a Philips), but with the same effect.

So I am a bit confused what the cause is.
But foremost, I am interested to learn how I can get the volume levels closer to each other.

Any suggestion welcome.

All Replies

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,643 Posts
Gold Member
sonavor replied on Fri, Apr 16 2021 12:27 AM

Hi,

I have noticed that as well on all of the Beomaster receivers I own. A number of the receivers have preamp source input level trimmers to adjust phono and tape inputs but there are not any adjustments for FM radio sources. Perhaps the FM broadcast these days are at higher levels than when the Beomaster receivers were produced?  I don't know.  I usually end up adjusting the levels on the phono and tape/aux sources as high as possible and so those about the same.  Then I have to remember to lower the volume when switching to an FM source.

I don't have a solution for you but I can confirm that what you are hearing is typical.

-sonavor

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
12,799 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Fri, Apr 16 2021 5:47 AM

Most FM stations use a lot of compression these days, giving them a "massive" sound.
They think it's modern and smart.
I get tired of listening to it.

Martin

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
6,398 Posts
Bronze Member

Dillen:

Most FM stations use a lot of compression these days, giving them a "massive" sound.
They think it's modern and smart.
I get tired of listening to it.

Martin

Same here in Mexico, all stations trimmed for cell phone and earbuds listening

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL