Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 15 Replies | 0 Followers

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
1,224 Posts
Bronze Member
matador43 posted on Wed, Apr 7 2021 9:20 AM

Hi Alls,

This is a post for a friend.

He bought a Beovision 11-40 second hand from a B&O dealer last year.
Last week the Bv started to display only pixelated Paul Smith lines (see picture). 

The set is under warranty for some weeks still so the dealer sent a technician.
Apparently the technician said he suspected the graphic card but after further suitcase investigation he diagnosed a power supply fault and ordered a new one which should come in the next week.

My concern is his spontaneous Graphic card incrimination: is it an usual weak component which would eventually fail too, or is the BV11 a reliable item and all this is bad luck and forum schizophrenia ;-).

What I would want for him is to being able to ask for preventive replacement of potentially weak parts while the set is still under warranty.

Thank you for him.

All Replies

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
1,224 Posts
Bronze Member

Nobody? Sad

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
5,282 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Sun, Apr 11 2021 9:12 AM

matador43:

My concern is his spontaneous Graphic card incrimination: is it an usual weak component which would eventually fail too, or is the BV11 a reliable item and all this is bad luck and forum schizophrenia ;-).

Please don't take this the wrong way, but just because an electrical item is from B&O, it doesn't mean it will necessarily work 'indefinitely'. The BV11-40 is now an old set and stopped production years ago. Even its replacement, the BV14-40, is long discontinued.

This doesn't make a component 'weak'. All electric items have a finite lifespan and even 10 years for modern technology is a what we'd call a good innings. It's not designed to last, plus most components are off-the-shelf and shared between manufacturers - they aren't made for B&O. The B&O part was the outer casing, mostly.

Sadly you can expect more issues. This doesn't make a component 'weak'. Nor can anyone here tell you the BV11 is reliable or not. I'm not even sure what you mean by a 'weak part'. Everything is potentially weak in modern electronics.

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
1,224 Posts
Bronze Member

Thank you Moxxey for your reply.

I did'nt explain myself correctly. I'm not blaming B&O for its reliability.

Some B&O (or not B&O) items are know for common failures like BL6000 surrounds, stand-by PSU in Beolab 4000, Ice module failure in Beolab 4 and many more I can't remember right now. I just want to know if that thing the technicien spontaneously said is a know issue that will eventually come so I can deal a preventive replacement while the set is still under (reseller) warranty.

Maybe someone on the forum had that experience already, thats why forums are, aren't they? 

That said, even if I mostly agree with all you said about lifespan, I believe one should ask "why are official B&O dealers reselling them at still expensive prices?" Its very different to buy second hand B&O stuff on classified ads where sellers may have no knowledge, and to buy an (expensive) TV set from a dealer who knows the range is EOL, spare parts difficult to source and maybe an history full of flaws.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,925 Posts
Bronze Member

That - sadly - is a known issue.....that appears after 5-6-7 years of runtime.

It was discussed here several times.

Usually (but not always) it is the video engine (DVE) that got cooked....wasn’t built to last forever.

The repair is quite expensive - and after that the chances that you have a nice tv for some more years are good.

Whether you want to invest the money or not, must be up to you - you basicly have to throw it away, if you don’t.

Oh, I just see, that it still is under warranty.....which is good for you.

I had mine (a BV Avant 55 MK1) repaired - money spend, but I am now enjoying my tv again.

The repair can be done onsite. If it is hanging on the wall, it might not be nesessary to take it down - from a stand it has to be taken off in order to do the replacement.

You also might have to wait a while for the repair, if it is the DVE (this has to be configured for your tv).

You should also know, that you can use it for audio, even if the screen is faulty.........that is, if you had netradio activated/configured or has it linked to other NL devices in the house.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
1,224 Posts
Bronze Member

Thank you Millemissen for your comprehensive answer.

Is the DVE the same thing that the graphic part and/or the PSU or are they three different parts?

The set is under warranty for a few weeks still but because it's a reseller warranty on a second hand set I dont know what it actually covers.

The BV11 was bought to replace a BV7/40 because the owners had trouble connecting new HDMI sources to the set. Beside that the BV7 was perfectly running. Anyway, let's hope the 11 will run fine for long years to come !

Thanks again.

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
3,848 Posts
Founder
Beobuddy replied on Sun, Apr 11 2021 11:38 AM

DVE, Digital Video Engine. PSU are always separate boards. 

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
1,224 Posts
Bronze Member

Beobuddy:

And the graphic card mentioned by the technician? Is it the same as the DVE?

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,925 Posts
Bronze Member

matador43:

Beobuddy:

And the graphic card mentioned by the technician? Is it the same as the DVE?

I assume, yes.

Just ask him!

MM

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
7,155 Posts
Founder
9 LEE replied on Sun, Apr 11 2021 12:16 PM

I've never known a PSU to have an effect on the screen image?  You live and learn...

DVE is by far the most likely issue in my opinion. If it was the LCD panel I don't think it would show that kind of fuzz - it'd be more pronounced with solid colours and lines.

I'd definitely have it repaired if the bill is reasonable. The BV11 is a great Television.

Lee

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
1,224 Posts
Bronze Member

9 LEE:

I've never known a PSU to have an effect on the screen image?  You live and learn...

DVE is by far the most likely issue in my opinion.

It make sense and is a good news: I suppose the technician will change the PSU, then figure out it did'nt fix the problem, then will change the DVE in the same repair day (he had one in is bag at the first visit), and therefore my friend will end with a brand new BV for the many years to come.

Thank you to all who have helped.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,925 Posts
Bronze Member

Please report back here - how the repair was and about the costs, if any.

MM

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
1,224 Posts
Bronze Member

Millemissen:
Please report back here

I Will

Pat
Top 500 Contributor
148 Posts
Bronze Member
Pat replied on Mon, Apr 12 2021 10:34 PM
That’s the VE 1.5 fault caused by overheating microprocessor. Are they B&O engineers?

There is no graphic card and they should know that.

PSU + VE should be tested with multimeter, service manual needed. My bet is the VE, ideally should be ordered pre-programmed for that serial number. The old part must be returned to B&O. Depends on the serial number of the tv, the part itself would cost between £450-850. Labour on top.

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
5,405 Posts
Bronze Member

Another Mk1 BV11 40 owner here. The TV has worked perfectly, but in the past month we have had occasional completely black screens of half to one second duration during broadcast reception.

The TV software is up to date. The problem is only of minor annoyance at the moment, but if the black screen intervals become more frequent could this indicate the start of a more serious problem? Could this be another video engine issue?

Graham

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL