Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

Beoplay Portal gaming headset

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 30 Replies | 1 Follower

mr_anders_son
Top 75 Contributor
sweden
1,651 Posts
Founder
mr_anders_son posted on Mon, Mar 29 2021 1:03 PM

Beoplay Portal gaming headset.

BeoVision Eclipse 55"...BeoLab 5 FRONT....BeoLab 4000 as REAR....BV5 HD....Beoplay V1-40....BV10-32....BC6-26....Beosound 9000....Beosound 1 New York edt....Beogram 4002....Beoplay M5....Beoplay M3....Beoremote Halo....BeoRemote One BT....Beo6....Beo4....Beo4 Cinema....BeoLink 7000....Serene....H95 Black LTD....H9i Rimowa....6 x H6....Form 1....U70...

All Replies

crossbytje
Top 500 Contributor
211 Posts
Bronze Member

And how exactly are they so much better? I'm probably missing something in the specs?

Battery life seems to be worse..

Beolit 12 - Beolab 4 pc (dead now) - Beoplay H5 - Beolab 9 - BeoRemote One BT - Beoplay M3

Beo_Vision
Not Ranked
21 Posts
Bronze Member

Is that the case for the H95’s also?

Beo_Vision
Not Ranked
21 Posts
Bronze Member

Emil Jensen:

The HX you cannot use for gaming, because when you use the Microphone the sound setting change to speak, and therefore terrible to use for gaming.

Finally it will be posible with the Portal.

Is that the case for the H95’s also?

matteventu
Not Ranked
32 Posts
Bronze Member

crossbytje:

And how exactly are they so much better? I'm probably missing something in the specs?

Battery life seems to be worse..

Technically and technologically, they're on another league.

Lossless and latency-free 2.4GHz connection (on Xbox and Windows).

Virtual Dolby Atmos processing.

Much better hardware controls.

Much better ear cushions.

Customisable 5-band EQ (how long for we've been asking B&O for this, on the H series?).

Probably better microphone algorithm (or even better mic hardware).

Microphone works also via 3.5mm jack and via USB-C connection (with HX it only works via BT).

Plus all the stuff the HX come with (Google Fast Pair, Bluetooth 5.1, Microsoft Swift Pair, aptX Adaptive, etc). The only things that the Portal lack are the wear sensor (that go figure, B&O don't even advertise for the HX) and the included carrying case (plus, better battery life, despite the larger battery that B&O put in Portal and that also could have put in the HX especially as unlike the H9 series they can't be used passively - battery that most certainly would have fit since the HX lack all the additional hardware the Portal have that's related to the 2.4GHz module).

And Portal are even slightly lighter than the HX (despite additional hardware and slightly larger battery).

All of this, at the same price of the HX.

Yes, battery life is better on the HX, but they come with the same battery as the H9 3rd Gen, which shows how little effort B&O put in the development of the HX. Also look how much they're advertising them (zero). Look at how much they're advertising the Portal.

HX are probably an old project that was in development before they agreed what to do with the partnership with Microsoft, so they just quickly released them without giving much importance to it. It's basically the exact same hardware as H9 3rd Gen, with slightly updated design and Bluetooth module borrowed from the H95.

I wouldn't be surprised if HX are the last model of the H headphones series.

They'll keep H95 going forward with updates, and that will be the premium "music" headphones for who wants to spend a lot of money for music headphones, and they'll keep the Portal line going for who wants to spend less.

HX are not as profitable for them as the H95 and Portal are.  

Then again, I haven't heard how the Portal sound compared to the HX, but still... I doubt the drivers are different from the ones of the HX (and hence, H9 3rd Gen), if there's any difference in sound it's 99.999999% likely due just to different DSP tuning.

@Beo_Vision: yes, also H95 are affected by that "issue". And even the Portal if you use them in Bluetooth mode.

Andreas
Not Ranked
Athens, Greece
19 Posts
Bronze Member
Andreas replied on Wed, Mar 31 2021 10:25 AM

A very positive review:

https://www.techhive.com/article/3613118/beoplay-portal-headphone-review.html

Beomaster 1700, Beocord 8000, Beolab 3000 (passive flat panel), BeoPlay E8 (1st gen), Beoplay H9 3rd gen, Beoplay P2

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
14,099 Posts
Bronze Member

A longer review here........he is quite excited about the Portal

https://youtu.be/Ri-I7y7DfUk

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

BeoAnna
Not Ranked
44 Posts
Bronze Member

Has anyone tried both the Portal and HX — and I guess H95 too as an added bonus — and can comment on long term comfort? Any difference?

I’ve always been more of a speaker girl because the vast majority of headphones don’t really seem to work for me in terms of comfort; but with work-from-home being the norm I also need to be mindful of my partner whom I share my home with so I’ve been looking at headphones again.

As another point of reference I used to own a Bose QC 35 II but sold them because I couldn’t wear them for more than an hour. My personal benchmark for comfort is the Sennheiser HD800, but I got rid of those because I didn’t really appreciate the additional clutter involved with having an external amplifier plus I didn’t really enjoy being anchored down to my desk by a cable.

I don’t have the opportunity to visit a dealer to try these newer headphones out so I’m really looking for good advice especially from anyone who has experience with any of the headphones I have. I really love and prefer the simplicity of the Portal’s design but comfort comes first.

Added bonus points for anyone who has actually worn them for hours at a time because it’s one thing to try some headphones on at the dealer for 15-30 minutes but an entirely separate matter to have them on your head for half the day.

Also while I’ve got plenty of experience with B&O speakers I’ve never owned any of their headphones before.

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Badsey, UK
3,486 Posts
Bronze Member
I must admit to being rather sceptical when I heard they’d be making a gaming headrest, but after watching and reading a few reviews I think they’ve got a winner. It’ll introduce a new generation to the brand which I hope they can they can entice with other follow on products.

Beovision 11-55, Beolab 2, Beolab 6000, Beolit 15, Beoplay A2 Active

Pic499
Not Ranked
2 Posts
Bronze Member
Pic499 replied on Sat, Apr 17 2021 8:00 AM

Hi, has anyone preordered these in the UK? I have, the delivery date was 15/04/21 which has now passed and no joy. Anyone know then they’re going to be released? Thanks 

Emil Jensen
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
717 Posts
Bronze Member

Pic499:

Hi, has anyone preordered these in the UK? I have, the delivery date was 15/04/21 which has now passed and no joy. Anyone know then they’re going to be released? Thanks 

Yes the same here, but they were delayed to the 29 April,

I choose to wait for the grey mist which arrive the 6 may.

Sadly everything is delayed in these times, not only b&o :( 

Beovision Harmony 77" 2nd Gen, Beolab 5, Beolab 17, Beosound 1, Beoplay M3, Beoplay H6, Beoplay Earset, Beoliving Intelligence 

Pic499
Not Ranked
2 Posts
Bronze Member
Pic499 replied on Sat, Apr 17 2021 1:36 PM

Cheers Emil

beolion
Top 200 Contributor
473 Posts
Gold Member
Millemissen:

A longer review here........he is quite excited about the Portal

https://youtu.be/Ri-I7y7DfUk

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

What a great review from a gaming point of view.

He is very good explaining so many details about this headphone.

Well done B&O.
mseverg68
Not Ranked
Milano
47 Posts
Bronze Member

has anyone got to try them?

Massimo

Hyponx
Not Ranked
21 Posts
Gold Member

For the curious Rtings in Montreal has done a very objective review of it with a lot of measurements.

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/bang-olufsen/beoplay-portal

I'm particularly impressed by the measured wireless latency in the Xbox Wireless mode (which you can also use on a windows computer with the xbox USB adapter), just 19 ms! That should be undetectable to the human ear.

The older H9i is also reviewed there, here is a side by side comparison:

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/tools/compare/bang-olufsen-beoplay-h9i-wireless-vs-bang-olufsen-beoplay-portal/813/24039?usage=20&threshold=0.10

Hyponx
Not Ranked
21 Posts
Gold Member

double post

Page 2 of 3 (31 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL