rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,808
Bronze Member
Hiort Posted: Wed, Mar 24 2021 9:58 AM

Entertained my self (fighting Corona boredome Smile) with a sound test.

I did that some time ago but since it’s been suggested by some that sound has improved with the latest fw upgrade I had another go at it.

This is the lineup:

All set to free standing.

I flipped between Deezer HiFi tunes (playlist “Top test hifi tracks” by Miguel Crespo) using the B&O app and the multiroom screen, moving volume sliders up and down.

Reflections:

Beosound 1 GVA has clearly improved midrange in my ears. Sounded more “canny” before.

M3 is a really capable speaker. I actually rate it higher than A6.

A6 has a more harsh sound, but has the advantage of a wider soundstage.

M5 really shined! Much more controlled bass than before. Soundstage is spread wider and it becomes really evident when you flip between BS1 and M5 that the BS1 have a much more narrow soundstage (as the M3).

Look forward to upcoming Beosound Emerge that I plan to replace the A6 with.

Anyway, a fun exercise Stick out tongue

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Homeoffice: M3, Beocom 2  Library: Beosound Emerge, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5, Essence remote  Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay P2, Beoplay Earset

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,808
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Wed, Mar 24 2021 10:05 AM
Can add that my preferred setting for M5 is “corner” and the below soundsetting:

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Homeoffice: M3, Beocom 2  Library: Beosound Emerge, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5, Essence remote  Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay P2, Beoplay Earset

matteventu
Not Ranked
Posts 45
Bronze Member

Thanks for the comparison :)

What do you think about bass, comparing M5 and BS1 ?

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,808
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Wed, Mar 24 2021 4:08 PM
matteventu:

Thanks for the comparison :)

What do you think about bass, comparing M5 and BS1 ?

Thanks Smile

M5 is more bass capable I would say, but can be a bit overwhelming dependent on placement and setting.

BS1 still have nice bass though.

Stan
Top 100 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
Posts 839
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Wed, Mar 24 2021 4:12 PM

I'm surprised you find the BS1 has a more narrow soundstage than the M5 given the BS1's acoustic lens and down firing woofer.  It seems counter-intuitive that an acoustic lens speaker could sound narrow, but I guess you find the M5's 3 tweeters + 1 midrange deliver a wider soundstage than the full-range lens. 

In any event, I'm glad to hear that the M5 is finally living up to it's potential.

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,808
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Wed, Mar 24 2021 6:17 PM
Stan:

I'm surprised you find the BS1 has a more narrow soundstage than the M5 given the BS1's acoustic lens and down firing woofer. It seems counter-intuitive that an acoustic lens speaker could sound narrow, but I guess you find the M5's 3 tweeters + 1 midrange deliver a wider soundstage than the full-range lens.

In any event, I'm glad to hear that the M5 is finally living up to it's potential.

When I write “narrow” I mean that sound comes more from one point on BS 1 and that M5 (with many speakers around the body) spread the sound better so soundstage appear wider.

Hard to explain since English is not my mother tongue.Smile

benoit
Top 150 Contributor
France
Posts 643
Bronze Member
benoit replied on Wed, Mar 24 2021 6:38 PM

Hiort:
Look forward to upcoming Beosound Emerge that I plan to replace the A9 with.

It seems that you have infos about this Emerge Whistle I thought it would be something close to the M5 but this looks quite interesting if it could come close to the A9 in a more compact shape. Do you think it will be positioned above the Level in the range? How long will we have to wait to discover it?

matteventu
Not Ranked
Posts 45
Bronze Member

Stan:

I'm surprised you find the BS1 has a more narrow soundstage than the M5 given the BS1's acoustic lens and down firing woofer.  It seems counter-intuitive that an acoustic lens speaker could sound narrow, but I guess you find the M5's 3 tweeters + 1 midrange deliver a wider soundstage than the full-range lens. 

BTW the M5 also has a downfiring (so technically 360°) woofer Smile

Stan
Top 100 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
Posts 839
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Thu, Mar 25 2021 1:04 AM

I knew the M5 had a down firing woofer, but so does the BS1. I was highlighting the differences.

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,808
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Thu, Mar 25 2021 5:38 AM

benoit:

It seems that you have infos about this Emerge I thought it would be something close to the M5 but this looks quite interesting if it could come close to the A9 in a more compact shape. Do you think it will be positioned above the Level in the range? How long will we have to wait to discover it?

My bad. I should have written A6. Emerge will be more in line with M5 as I understand it.

I have changed in my original post.

StKong
Top 500 Contributor
Copenhagen
Posts 318
Bronze Member
StKong replied on Fri, Apr 2 2021 8:36 AM
Hiort:

Thanks

M5 is more bass capable I would say, but can be a bit overwhelming dependent on placement and setting.

BS1 still have nice bass though.

I have two BS1 that I love. Especially for the design.

My M5, however, has become utterly brilliant after the updates. I currently think it is the best offering in The B&O lineup when considering the price/quality ratio.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL