Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

Beolab Stage versus Sonos ARC + Rears (sonos 1 or symfonisk)?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 15 Replies | 1 Follower

tuttivini
Top 500 Contributor
185 Posts
Bronze Member
tuttivini posted on Sat, Mar 13 2021 1:36 PM

I like the looks of my 'self made' TV-wall with LG C9 55" Oled.
I love how the Beolab 8000's mk2 blend in (height, alignment, etc.)
But always wanted a 'better sound' with movies/series (better/crisper voices, and maybe surround effect).

Bought a 7.1 some time ago and placed it on a self made wall bracket under the TV.
Love the looks (placed black speaker cloth on the grill to match the 8000's).

Connected everything to a B&O Playmaker (hidden underneath floating shelf).
See attached photo's.

I control the volume with a Beo4 remote and signal recognition (TV sound, airplay, dlna, etc) switches automatic. Works like a charm.

Sound is 'ok', but it is just 'double stereo' -> Left 8000 with left side 7.1 and Right 8000  with right side 7.1...

Considered an Almando multiplay surround decoder 2, but pricey, outdated (no atmos etc.), not spotify connect and TuneIn (I use this in severall rooms) bad support and hear things like a risk of static noise, bad volume behavior/control, mediocre dac, etc.

At this point I'm thinking of selling the Beolab 7.1 and buying a Beolab Stage or Sonos ARC.

Both soundbars' are 'all-in-one' solutions and unfortunately there is no possibility to include the BeoLab 8000's in the system (as dedicated left and right speaker).

So only reason to keep the 8000's is because they look so good (and maybe for separate stereo music listening if they outperform the chosen soundbar)?!?... Also a little attached to the timeless design.

I'm thinking of Beolab Stage or Sonos ARC with two rear (surround) speakers, like two Sonos 1s, two Ikea Symfonisks or two Symfonisks table lamps (like the looks of those speaker-lamps and can easily place them).

Which would give me the best sound (75% for movies/tv and 25% for listening to music).

What are your opinions and experiences?

All Replies

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
14,395 Posts
Bronze Member

Considering that you have the LG tv (which allows for control with the Beoremote One, why not just try out a BS Stage - should be fairly easy to arrange.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

tuttivini
Top 500 Contributor
185 Posts
Bronze Member

If I can 'try' the Stage at home, before buying, this would indeed be a good idea. Can ask my local dealer (I also want to go to a dealer to listen to the Stage, but can't due to the pandemic/shops are closed in The Netherlands). 

The Beoremote One isn't a 'must' for me. I don't have other B&O equipment for this remote and I like the LG remote (I use the magic mouse option often and Beoremote One doesn't have this function on the LG TV).

Curious about Stage vs Arc (sound quality). 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
14,395 Posts
Bronze Member

I am not sure if that is part of the B&O ‘100 days to fall in love’ campain (or was), but I am sure it can be arranged.

Otherweise just order it online - you will be able to return it by not liking.

As for the magic mouse - I just visited my son today, who has a C9.....that nervous cursor/flickerthing there was driving me nuts!

However, each to his own.

At least you should go for a demo (of the combination) once you are able to.

As for the Sonos combo I can’t say anything - maybe other beoworlders have some experience there.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Sibbi
Top 500 Contributor
84 Posts
Bronze Member
Sibbi replied on Sat, Mar 13 2021 10:00 PM

Hi Ihave the Stage and have had a Sonos system. I had Sonos playbar with sonos ones as rears and Sonos sub. Very nice system and the app is miles better than B&O. Í have also heard the arc and it is very good. I do not have space for rear speakers any more so I now have the Stage. As a stand-alone soundbar the Stage is better than the Arc. Also I like the Stage better for music playback. As a home theatre system I would say the Sonos Arc with sub and rear speakers is better.

PaulGiles
Top 500 Contributor
218 Posts
Bronze Member
I have fitted all combos.

I personally had a BV 11 with BL8000 front and 6000 rear.

Replaced it all with stage and LG with BROne although we only use the SkyQ remote most of the time.

I have set up the shortcut buttons on the One for Radio stations.

The Stage is absolutely stunning. The Bass it produces for movies and music just amazes me every time I listen to it.

For simplicity without sacrificing sound the LG and Stage rocks!
tuttivini
Top 500 Contributor
185 Posts
Bronze Member

@Sibbi: So you think the Stage is better than the  ARC without the Sonos Sub? Better in overall sound, or only in lower frequencies?
Sonos app is indeed very intuitive. That's a plus!

@PaulGiles: If you compare the BV11+8000's with the Stage: Does the Stage perform better? Clarity? don't you feel like the sound is coming from one direction? Too focused? And what about bass? Lower and punchier than 8000's could reach? Opinion on movies and opinion on music?

Can the Beoremote One also be used for TuneIn shortcuts in combination with the LG C9 Oled? I would love this. I use TuneIn every day but now I have to start the app on my tablet or phone or use my voice (google home) to start a radio station...

Sibbi
Top 500 Contributor
84 Posts
Bronze Member
Sibbi replied on Sun, Mar 14 2021 11:21 AM

In my opinion the Stage has a better overall sound than the Sonos arc and a lot better base. That does not change the fact that the Arc is also a very good soundbar and if I had space for rear speakers and a Sub I would seriously consider it. I use Sonos one speakers in other rooms and I really like them. 

AnalogPlanet
Top 150 Contributor
Vienna, Austria
648 Posts
Bronze Member

tuttivini:
Can the Beoremote One also be used for TuneIn shortcuts in combination with the LG C9 Oled? I would love this. I use TuneIn every day but now I have to start the app on my tablet or phone or use my voice (google home) to start a radio station...

I can confirm that the answer is "yes". I have Stage with C9 and use Beoremote One with it. First three preset buttons are Netflix, Disney and Amazon Video, as fourth I have set Jazz Radio on TuneIn so it definitely works.

AnalogPlanet
Top 150 Contributor
Vienna, Austria
648 Posts
Bronze Member

Millemissen:
As for the magic mouse - I just visited my son today, who has a C9.....that nervous cursor/flickerthing there was driving me nuts!

I need to say Magic Mouse has the same effect on me. Big Smile As a matter of fact, Beoremote One is very nicely integrated in the LG TV OS, I want to give credit to B&O for that. Wink

tuttivini
Top 500 Contributor
185 Posts
Bronze Member

@AnalogPlanet: Thanks. Good to hear. What happens with the TV screen when you slect an TuneIn shortcut? Do you hear the radio station from the Stage without the screen turning on (burn in risk on oleds)

jvezina
Top 500 Contributor
Montreal, Canada
193 Posts
Gold Member

tuttivini:

At this point I'm thinking of selling the Beolab 7.1 and buying a Beolab Stage or Sonos ARC.

My reply is quite simple: I would go for B&O because we should not encourage a company that doesn't respect privacy:

https://blog.gingerlime.com/2020/sonos-is-spying-on-me-and-you/

Encouraging our beloved company is therefore an ethical choice.

Regards,

Jean

trackbeo
Top 150 Contributor
603 Posts
Bronze Member

Opinion1: If you get a Sonos Arc, you must also get a Sonos Sub.   At 75% movies (unless they are 100% chick-flicks [humor alert]) you will regret not having the bass. That granted, I believe Arc+Sub combination plus (cheap!) surrounds will give a way more immersive performance than a Stage, especially if you TruePlay the Sonos to correct for the placement of the Sub in your room. At only 25% music, it doesn't matter that the Arc may sound slightly less frequency-balanced (even with TruePlay) than the Stage, for 2-channel stereo music.

Opinion2: Your photos are slick! They show that you clearly care a great deal about the way your system looks, and have spent time rather than money (i.e. sourced older speakers, bought LG screen, custom wall) to get there. So putting a plastic tube on your wall is a big step down, no matter how carefully its 76,000 holes are drilled. But a Stage is also mismatched with the set / wall / niche widths, though not quite as declasse as the tube. But the Arc has nicer geometry, in the abstract, than the Shape, with its chunky, offset, back-box.  So what to do... Why not get an AVR pre-amp (mentioned in other threads here, maybe Canton? Marantz is available but big and expensive.) and keep your existing speakers, then maybe add BeoLab 3's for surrounds when you get the chance? Yes, hiding an AVR in your beautiful tableau might be troublesome, and running wires to surrounds makes the Sonos look... more appealing again.

Opinion3: If you get the Sonos Arc, also buy their wall mounting bracket if you are going to wall-mount it -- even though you built your own bracket for the BeoLab 7-1.  Turns out it has magnets in it to flip a switch for frequency response changes.  Or maybe you *don't* want the auto EQ?  See Peter Pee's videos (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqKcL_qmAck , et. seq.) for details.

P.S. Please take the time to shoot another photo after you upgrade! Really look forward to seeing your result...

AnalogPlanet
Top 150 Contributor
Vienna, Austria
648 Posts
Bronze Member

tuttivini:
What happens with the TV screen when you slect an TuneIn shortcut? Do you hear the radio station from the Stage without the screen turning on (burn in risk on oleds)

Exactly! When I select TuneIn as a preset, the screen does not turn on. And vice versa, if I was watching TV and then press the TuneIn preset the screen shuts down and only music plays.

PaulGiles
Top 500 Contributor
218 Posts
Bronze Member
Sibbi:

In my opinion the Stage has a better overall sound than the Sonos arc and a lot better base. That does not change the fact that the Arc is also a very good soundbar and if I had space for rear speakers and a Sub I would seriously consider it. I use Sonos one speakers in other rooms and I really like them.

Yep. My thoughts too.

It’s the simplicity that also sways opinion too.

The Stage pretty much does everything you need.

Room size needs to be factored in of course and our Sitting Room is small.

Also, my wife hates anything floor mounted so the stage set up wins again for this
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL