rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 23 Replies | 0 Followers

BOThom
Not Ranked
17 Posts
Bronze Member
BOThom posted on Sun, Mar 7 2021 4:37 PM

Hi all

Story short: I have a combo of B&O and Sonos, which actually works perfect. I started with Sonos in my home, and slowly integrated B&O.
But I’d like to migrate to B&O entirely (I am only referring to sound at the moment, not video).

My present setup consists of a BeoSound 9000 mkIII with BeoLab 11 and a pair of BeoLab 4000 mkII, all wired by PowerLink. On the AUX port of BS900 is an input adapter cable with a Sonos Connect attached in the opposite end.
Since I also have a BeoGram 6500 turntable, this is connected to the RCA input of the Sonos Connect.

If I want to play CDs, this is straight forward.
If I want to stream Internet music, Internet Radio or local music from the NAS, I press A.AUX and controls everything from the Sonos environment, except for sound level (I have set up Sonos with a fixed output level, so I only have to adjust the volume on the BS9000).
If I want to use the turntable, I press A.AUX, and in the Sonos environment I select to play from external source.

Now I am thinking of migrating to B&O, by swapping the Sonos Connect with a BeoSound Core, and then connect the speakers to the Core rather than BS9000.

It seems there are two solutions, with different pros and cons.

1:
The easiest and cheapest one is to buy a proper output DIN cable to the AUX port of BS9000, and connect the other end to the RCA line-in of the BS Core. What I understand is that the volume is always fixed on the output of the AUX port, and all audio (or at least CD playback) is also transmitted to the AUX.

But since I also have a BeoGram turntable (with built-in RIAA-amplifier) I am wondering how this can be included in the setup. One way is to also connect it to the RCA input of the BS Core, by using an external selector box (such that I manually choose between the turntable or BS9000). But I prefer a smoother solution!

I was wondering whether the input and output pins on the AUX port of the BS9000 can be used simultaneously, i.e. can I connect the BeoGram turntable to the input of the AUX port, and at the same time send this signal directly to the output pins of the same port, such that the BS Core will play whatever source in coming from the BS9000 (CD or AUX signal)?
Will the BS9000 act like this, i.e. is it only CD (and Radio/N.Music) that is being send to the output of the AUX port, or does this also includes AUX input signals? And can this simply be done by selecting A.AUX?

2:
I was thinking to include a BeoLink Converter NL/ML, such that the BS9000 will be connected via MasterLink to the NL/ML Converter, and the BS Core via NetworkLink. I guess the turntable then can be connected either to the BC Core or the NL/ML Converter, since both have RCA line-in?
Unfortunately, I have not yet gained any experience with NL/ML Converter, but what I understand is, that it creates its own ML-environment, so in theory I end up with three environments (the BS Core as NL, the NL/ML-converter as ML, and the BS9000 as ML). I don’t mind this. But in the end, all this will be installed in the same room, i.e. not yet any distribution of sound to other rooms.
Two advantages with the NL/ML Converter seems to be, that
1) I can distribute sound in both directions. But since the BS9000 will end up with no speakers attached, I will only be able to distribute CDs to the BS Core (and any future Multiroom systems).
2) I can partly control the playback of CDs via the B&O App.

When it comes to the cabling, there is no doubt Sounds Heavenly will get a query from me :)

I am looking forward to any feedback from you.

BR, BOThom

Normal 0 21 false false false DA X-NONE X-NONE

All Replies

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,989 Posts
Bronze Member

Using the NL/ML Converter as a bridge between NL and ML devices is the right way to go....generally speaking.

However, for your current setup it seem a bit like overkill.

I’d consider adding the Core to the BS9000/A.Aux in the same way as of now for the Sonos (volume controlling will be much easier so).

You can connect the Beogram to the Core - that input has line-sense, which means that it turns on the Core, when sensing the input. All you have to do then is to push A.Aux on the Beo4.......and start the Beogram, of course Smile

All sources of the Core can be controlled by the B&O app respectively via Airplay/Casting.
Not really much different from what you do now - apart from the option of adding more NL devices in the house.

Then....if you still want to be able to listen to the CD’s on the new NL devices, you might consider adding the Converter.

In that case you could add speakers to the BS 9000 and have the Core (with added speakers) along with other NL devices all over the house.

Hope this helps a bit.

And by the way...welcome to the Beoworld Forum.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

BOThom
Not Ranked
17 Posts
Bronze Member

Thank's a lot, Millemissen, for your reply, advise and greetings :)

You are writing:

"I’d consider adding the Core to the BS9000/A.Aux in the same way as of now for the Sonos (volume controlling will be much easier so)."

There is something not clear for me - How will volume controlling become easier? I can only see this will happen, if the speakers are connected to the Core?

What I didn't mention in my query was, that I'm also planning to pair an Essence Remote with the Core. But this is not essential - just a nice feature.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,989 Posts
Bronze Member

Since you did not mention anything about an Essence Remote, I assumed that you’d have to use the app for volume control in that case.

Of course you can do it that way.....when/if you have the Essence Remote.

Personally I’d prefer a Beoremote - in your case the Beo4 - for volume controlling of a main system/the 9000 and what is pushed in through the A.Aux from the Core.

P.S. As for your first question (A.Aux in/out on the 9000) I can’t say anything - however, I imagine it might be troublesome, if even possible.

MM

mikestanley464
Not Ranked
1 Posts
Bronze Member

If I want to stream Internet music, Internet Radio or local music from the NAS, I press A.AUX and controls everything from the Sonos environment, except for sound level (I have set up Sonos with a fixed output level, so I only have to adjust the volume on the BS9000).

VidMate Canli Mac Izle VidMate for PC

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
1,343 Posts
Bronze Member

Millemissen:
I’d consider adding the Core to the BS9000/A.Aux in the same way as of now for the Sonos (volume controlling will be much easier so).
Not the same way though! He needs to connect the PL of the Core to the BS9000 Aux. The Core doesn't have a line-out only a Toslink out.

The BLC solution is a nice one though. ML connect the BS9000 tot the BLC, program the BLC as A.Slave; connect the BG6500 to the Line-in of the BLC; connect the BL's to the Core and use the B&o app to start everything.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,989 Posts
Bronze Member

Carolpa:

Millemissen:
Not the same way though! He needs to connect the PL of the Core to the BS9000 Aux. The Core doesn't have a line-out only a Toslink out.

The BLC solution is a nice one though. ML connect the BS9000 tot the BLC, program the BLC as A.Slave; connect the BG6500 to the Line-in of the BLC; connect the BL's to the Core and use the B&o app to start everything.

He’ll need a RJ45/PL to 5 pin Aux cable - and to set the Core to fixed line-out.

Has been discussed before - see:

https://forum.beoworld.org/forums/t/34938.aspx

MM

BOThom
Not Ranked
17 Posts
Bronze Member

Thank you all for your very valuable inputs!

I think I'll go for the NL/ML solution, so I have better control and integration of my CDs and vinyls.

However, since the NL/ML Converter has been discontinued (but still appears in the B&O App), I'm afraid it suddenly may not be functional "tomorrow".

I was dropping by my local B&O Store today, and they advised me not to go for the NL/ML Solution (without discussing this any further), but simply using the Core as the master unit, and connect the BS9000 via AUX. Then I end up not being able to integrate the BeoGram completely because the line-in in the Core is occupied by the BS9000.

If I then follow MMs advice (use BS9000 as the master, connect the Core via PL -> AUX, and connect the BeoGram to line-in of the Core), all should be fine. But I am planning to expand the other rooms, meaning that I'd prefer the Core to be the master, expecially when it comes to control of the volume. But in a single set-up like mine, I do see the advantage of controlling the volume with the Beo4 remote.

So back to NL/ML Converter worry - do you believe the converter is also functional "tomorrow"? What is your general experience with discontinued products from B&O in this context?

BR, BOThom

ebnrob
Top 500 Contributor
UK
145 Posts
Gold Member

I have the NL/Ml converter connected to my bs9000 exclusively with no speakers connected to it. All of the sources can be accessed via network link which works really well and reliably over Ethernet. 

BOThom:

Thank you all for your very valuable inputs!

I think I'll go for the NL/ML solution, so I have better control and integration of my CDs and vinyls.

However, since the NL/ML Converter has been discontinued (but still appears in the B&O App), I'm afraid it suddenly may not be functional "tomorrow".

I was dropping by my local B&O Store today, and they advised me not to go for the NL/ML Solution (without discussing this any further), but simply using the Core as the master unit, and connect the BS9000 via AUX. Then I end up not being able to integrate the BeoGram completely because the line-in in the Core is occupied by the BS9000.

If I then follow MMs advice (use BS9000 as the master, connect the Core via PL -> AUX, and connect the BeoGram to line-in of the Core), all should be fine. But I am planning to expand the other rooms, meaning that I'd prefer the Core to be the master, expecially when it comes to control of the volume. But in a single set-up like mine, I do see the advantage of controlling the volume with the Beo4 remote.

So back to NL/ML Converter worry - do you believe the converter is also functional "tomorrow"? What is your general experience with discontinued products from B&O in this context?

BR, BOThom

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,989 Posts
Bronze Member

@BOThom

If it is your intension to extend your setup towards more NL Products and you want to use the 9000, the Converter is definitely worth it.

I can’t imagine why that should ‘stop working’.

Dud you know that you can use the Converter with Beolabs connected in a seperate room whilst still using it as the bridge between your 9000 and the NL products?

Have a look here for inspiration:

https://beointegration.com/uploaded/EN-BeoLink-handbook-v1-7.pdf

MM

Stan
Top 150 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
798 Posts
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Mon, Mar 8 2021 10:13 PM

Your option 1 above should work just fine.  The Aux out always sends whatever the BS9000 is playing.  You will need to set the BS9000 to A.option 0 because it has no speakers connected to it (or get a dummy speaker plug).  If you only have the BS9000 in your ML realm, not not sure what additional capabilities the BLC will provide...

For some reason, if I'm mistaken, you're only out the cost of a 4 plug rca - din cable.  Although, I don't think I am because I sort of remember doing this with my BS1 (cd/radio player), and also see the response from "Russ" in this archived thread:  https://archivedforum.beoworld.org/forums/t/12337.aspx

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
1,343 Posts
Bronze Member

Stan:
our option 1 above should work just fine.  The Aux out always sends whatever the BS9000 is playing.  You will need to set the BS9000 to A.option 0 because it has no speakers connected to it (or get a dummy speaker plug).  If you only have the BS9000 in your ML realm, not not sure what additional capabilities the BLC will provide...
But how should he connect the BG6500 to his system then?

And how about the remote handling? He can't start the BS9000 because in option 0, but manually? 

I have 4 BLC to my satisfaction. It is simply the easiest way to combine ML in NL.

Stan
Top 150 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
798 Posts
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Tue, Mar 9 2021 7:16 PM

He can connect the BG to the aux input of the BS9000.  If option 0 turns off IR (sorry, can't keep option settings straight), then he can keep it in option 1 and get a dummy speaker plug (or I saw someone saying a simple headphone jack (with nothing connected to it) also tricks the BS9000 into thinking it has speakers connected).  To listen to the BG, he selects A.AUX or A.Tape on his BS9000, then the Core will wake up because of line-in sense.  The volume control is through the Core so remote control is perhaps not 100% required depending on how you listen to music.  I mean, you have to put the LP on the BG manually, not so hard to select A.AUX on the BS9000 (or Radio or CD).

I agree that the BLC would work better.  I had one and it worked fine, but since they are discontinued, they are not easy to find in some areas.

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
1,343 Posts
Bronze Member

Stan:
He can connect the BG to the aux input of the BS9000.  If option 0 turns off IR (sorry, can't keep option settings straight), then he can keep it in option 1 and get a dummy speaker plug (or I saw someone saying a simple headphone jack (with nothing connected to it) also tricks the BS9000 into thinking it has speakers connected). 
For my info: so the same AUX on the BS9000 can be used at the same time for input and output?

Stan
Top 150 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
798 Posts
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Tue, Mar 9 2021 10:12 PM

I believe so.  I'm not 100% certain as I have not personally done this with a BS9000, but (IIRC) this is typically how audio equipment worked back in the days of widespread tape recorder use.  The AUX out (or sometimes labeled "Tape Monitor") sent whatever the amp is playing at line level so one could record it.  It didn't matter if the source was "on board" or remote via AUX in.  The input pins and output pins are separate so it's not exactly the "same AUX".  I'm kind of surprised that Steve from Sounds Heavenly hasn't stepped up as he usually knows these questions because he builds the cables.

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL