Better App than iTunes

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Calvin
Top 500 Contributor
180 Posts
Bronze Member
Calvin posted on Sun, Mar 7 2021 3:21 AM

(I posted an identical question 2-3 years ago, I thought I'd see if we're anywhere better today)

So the current lineup is wireless speakers and if you don't want to have yet *another* monthly subscription, that means you have £10k of speakers streaming from your computer or ipad (correct me if I'm wrong) Or like my basement where I have a turntable plugged into my A9.

For me right now upgrading to the non-vintage world would be my Mac or having a 128Gb iPad filled with albums, a fancy controller where I select albums to play and place it on the table. I have that already, I'm a media hoarder and have a vast collection of albums, all of them are ripped or recorded directly, all are tagged. I have a 256gb phone specifically to accommodate my music+photo collection.

But iTunes sucks, it really does. It looks dreadful, especially from Apple, a company that "value" design and Siri isn't reliable enough that I can ask it to play albums on demand. What is the current best alternative that isn't a subscription service? Is there something that looks really really good, where I can browse albums without the clutter and constant offerings from their paid subscription services or promoted new bands?

All Replies

mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
1,956 Posts
Gold Member
I’m an iTunes guy too and I share your comments.

To circumvent iTunes limitations I went for a NAS, a secure and scalable (already upgraded my disk size twice) solution to host my growing libraries (video,photos and music - 5k albums, 60k tracks), on top of it I had several DLNA servers to accommodate my B&O speakers and Beosound, and I ended up subscribing to a lifetime PLEX pass and installed it on my NAS too.

With PLEX I have a rich and modern end user experience on all type of devices (phones, tablets, Mac and TV) where I can listen to my music or visualize my photos videos not only from inside my house but also from everywhere I get an internet connection (media can also be downloaded and synced for offline access).

PLEXamp App which is dedicated to music only brings another level of enjoyable user experience with many features on all fronts, a rich user interface for selecting what to play on your devices or speakers with features such gapless, sound leveling, fading, CarPlay, etc ...

That was to share my experience, not to promote a particular product as I have only used a few, so I cannot objectively compare.

BS Moment, BS Core, BG 4002, BC 4500, BS1, BL18, BL19, BL8000 + RCV1, A6, M5, M3, A1, P6 (tks Botty), H5, TR1

jgraefe
Not Ranked
56 Posts
Bronze Member

i thought i tried every app, but now i have to try Plex Amp Big Smile

BS9000 + BS Core + Beosystem 3 + BL8000 + BL4 + BL2 + BL7-1 // BeoVision 7 32“ + BL8000 // Beoplay M5 // Beoplay S3 // 2x BL3500 // 2x BeoPlay A6 + 2x Essence Remote // 2x BeoSound 8 // Playmaker + BL6000

jgraefe
Not Ranked
56 Posts
Bronze Member
Oh and thats my favorits at the Moment:

Emby at the TV with music and films

- emby could stream music direct per dlna, but Not with all the Beoplay products :(

- theres a nice iOS and Android App too

Twonky dlna Server with the B&O App

- the best for „searching“ music in the B&O App

BS9000 + BS Core + Beosystem 3 + BL8000 + BL4 + BL2 + BL7-1 // BeoVision 7 32“ + BL8000 // Beoplay M5 // Beoplay S3 // 2x BL3500 // 2x BeoPlay A6 + 2x Essence Remote // 2x BeoSound 8 // Playmaker + BL6000

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL