rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 25 Replies | 1 Follower

pastaj
Not Ranked
36 Posts
Bronze Member
pastaj posted on Fri, Feb 19 2021 4:13 AM

Hi everyone!

I just set up my harmony (basic setup, still waiting on the mic) and WOW, what a ton of settings and options. Im wondering what is a good place to start for speaker roles. I have a pair of 50s up front and 18s in the rear. The harmony has 3 channels and i set them all to "center front" for now but seems redundant to run them all the same. Sounds like i have a similar setup to Mikipedia and i was hoping for some insight into setup to get the most out of these speakers. I have noticed, just with my Core set up to run the 50s alone, they perform differently depending on if they are connected via powerlink vs optical. I am now running everything via WISA and just want to make sure im getting everything i can out of the speakers and the setup. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

All Replies

jowus
Top 500 Contributor
150 Posts
Bronze Member
jowus replied on Sat, Feb 20 2021 1:19 PM
pastaj:

he has arrived......lol been waiting to hear your opinion. thanks!

Hi Pastaj,

Did you just got the Speakers of the Harmony or you got the whole TV? I think, I read one of the your post about ordering the Speakers of the Harmony? Anyway Good luck!
Mikipidia
Top 50 Contributor
1,952 Posts
Bronze Member
Any updates?

New: Beovision Harmony, Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beolab 17's, Beolab 3's, Beosound 9000 mk3, Beosound Stage & LG, Beosound 2, Beoplay M3, Beoplay A1, Beoplay H4 gen 2, Beoplay E8 3.0

Mikipedia on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Mikipedia

mikipedi4 on Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/mikipedi4

Old: Beovision Eclipse, Beolab 1's, Beolab 2, Beovision 10-46, Overture 2300, beolab 8000's, Beolab 4000's, Beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

pastaj
Not Ranked
36 Posts
Bronze Member
pastaj replied on Mon, Feb 22 2021 3:14 PM

just posted one. sorry, im new to "forums" and seem to have  2 running posts about the same topic. I posted to the other one just now. But yes, i watched Edge of Tomorrow yesterday and the system BLEW me away. i couldnt believe how great it sounded, and this is with NO mic tuning. Just a tape measure and a dB meter. So far so good but im having lip sync issues. It seems like everytime i have an issue, there is some small, easy fix that sets it right, its just with SO many settings and whatnot, it makes it difficult to figure out but when i do, it solves the problem immediately. Had a horrible echo when watching Ocean's 13 intro music and went into 50s configurator and found them to be set to high latency. Switched to auto and voila!

question about bass management...when no subwoofer is hooked up, and bass mgmt is ON, all the speakers are set to enable filtering to the 50s. Is this necessary? in theory, its taking low end from the center and the 18s in the rear and sending it to the 50s. my understanding. Is this necessary though? It seems that all the speakers in my setup would be capable of handling a fairly full frequency range and the system might sound "fuller" when all speakers are receiving the entire signal? 

thanks again!!

and to the other individual's question, yes i just bought a harmony sound center as i already had the LG GX panel that I coincidentally bought prior to starting this B&O journey. Was very easy to install with the GX mounting bracket and the connections were easy, aside from the glitch my 50s were having that a power cycle was able to solve. 

MaxH
Top 500 Contributor
111 Posts
Gold Member
MaxH replied on Mon, Feb 22 2021 3:24 PM

My thinking is that the 50s are the best speakers to handle the bass so why not?

Miki may have another view though

pastaj
Not Ranked
36 Posts
Bronze Member
pastaj replied on Mon, Feb 22 2021 4:23 PM

i dont disagree but im wondering if it really makes a difference. or would it be better to just run all speakers "unrestricted" per se. I guess i can just play with watching the same scene of a movie with and without bass mgmt on and see the difference. but this does all feel a little preemptive since i still haven't done the proper mic setup. Does the mic set up ALL parameters? i know it does distance and levels but what about the bass mgmt settings of pan and balance, etc? thx!

MaxH
Top 500 Contributor
111 Posts
Gold Member
MaxH replied on Mon, Feb 22 2021 5:25 PM

You need to read this before you do anything else Smile

https://support.bang-olufsen.com/hc/en-us/articles/360042434432-Beolab-50-technical-sound-guide

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
14,195 Posts
Bronze Member

How a beolab speaker can handle bas is (among other factors) a matter of the sound pressure level.

If you drive your setup at a relatively low volume level, you won’t notice much difference.

However, if you - which you probably will :-) - listen at higher volume, it is recommended to use the bas management functionallity of the Sound Center.

Please be aware, that the mic setup procedure is a matter of configuring the BL50’s (not the entire multichannel setup).

During the mic setup you can make presets, that you afterwards - when setting up the entire speaker setup can integrate with the Sound Center.

Here is a link to a setting up video and others - very helpfull for those who want to do the setup on their own:

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRPmJ785xnMi0nBHAKH25GbHItnj_1E8Q

Also reading this entire thread can be helpfull:

https://forum.beoworld.org/forums/t/43644.aspx

MM 

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
14,195 Posts
Bronze Member

Deleted

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Mikipidia
Top 50 Contributor
1,952 Posts
Bronze Member
Lets continue in this one then.

How do you play prime video? App on the panel or through an apple tv? I’ve never had any lipstnc issues, then again I am on a C9 panel and lg made them slightly different. Since you used the tv before it may be a good idea to factory reset it, just in case. With a normal Harmony setup you do as little as possible before you can get in to it and download the b&o app and then set it up further. Just an idea to start with a clean slate.

I would keep the bass management on honestly as the 18’s don’t really like a full lfe channel at high volume. They’ll be ok, but you could run in to abl. If you really wanted to you can pull back on the bass diverting a bit. Auto sets it to -100db, but you could try -90db or something like that.

The standard movie preset is pretty much a golden compromise, as in it’s freaking fantastic out of the box, but change it to what ever you like. There is a reset button Stick out tongue

New: Beovision Harmony, Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beolab 17's, Beolab 3's, Beosound 9000 mk3, Beosound Stage & LG, Beosound 2, Beoplay M3, Beoplay A1, Beoplay H4 gen 2, Beoplay E8 3.0

Mikipedia on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Mikipedia

mikipedi4 on Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/mikipedi4

Old: Beovision Eclipse, Beolab 1's, Beolab 2, Beovision 10-46, Overture 2300, beolab 8000's, Beolab 4000's, Beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

jowus
Top 500 Contributor
150 Posts
Bronze Member
jowus replied on Mon, Mar 15 2021 11:42 AM
pastaj:

just posted one. sorry, im new to "forums" and seem to have 2 running posts about the same topic. I posted to the other one just now. But yes, i watched Edge of Tomorrow yesterday and the system BLEW me away. i couldnt believe how great it sounded, and this is with NO mic tuning. Just a tape measure and a dB meter. So far so good but im having lip sync issues. It seems like everytime i have an issue, there is some small, easy fix that sets it right, its just with SO many settings and whatnot, it makes it difficult to figure out but when i do, it solves the problem immediately. Had a horrible echo when watching Ocean's 13 intro music and went into 50s configurator and found them to be set to high latency. Switched to auto and voila!

question about bass management...when no subwoofer is hooked up, and bass mgmt is ON, all the speakers are set to enable filtering to the 50s. Is this necessary? in theory, its taking low end from the center and the 18s in the rear and sending it to the 50s. my understanding. Is this necessary though? It seems that all the speakers in my setup would be capable of handling a fairly full frequency range and the system might sound "fuller" when all speakers are receiving the entire signal?

thanks again!!

and to the other individual's question, yes i just bought a harmony sound center as i already had the LG GX panel that I coincidentally bought prior to starting this B&O journey. Was very easy to install with the GX mounting bracket and the connections were easy, aside from the glitch my 50s were having that a power cycle was able to solve.

Wow Pastaj, didn’t the Harmony Speakers alone cost you a fortune? I would love to see your Setup! Stories like this, makes this forum a Place to be! Good luck in all your endeavors!
pastaj
Not Ranked
36 Posts
Bronze Member
pastaj replied on Thu, Mar 18 2021 3:28 PM

im grateful to be in a position to enjoy these products. my dad has had the same pair for 30 years and i guess i was just wired to gravitate towards BO. Dont know how to post pictures but its a great looking setup :-) 

Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL