Beomaster 1900-2 won't power on

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 71 Replies | 0 Followers

Brokenstereo
Not Ranked
43 Posts
Silver Member
Brokenstereo posted on Wed, Feb 17 2021 10:27 PM

Hi I have a beomaster 1900-2 that wont power on after I recapped it, replaced the rectifier and replaced the emitter resistors as 2 had gotten far too hot

My first issue I have no idea what wire is live the black or blue?

Then after that where should I look?

I have a meter but not overly sure how to use it for testing components really any help really really appreciated.

All Replies

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,614 Posts
Gold Member

Okay but don't continue until you replace TR27.  The +15VDC power supply needs that.

I am going to guess that the -31VDC filter capacitor incident was the root cause for the TR200-TR301 Darlington failures.
There could be other problems so check out the other components that connect to the +-31VDC rails.

-sonavor

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,614 Posts
Gold Member

One other thing...
When you replace the power transistors do not try to turn the Beomaster 1900 on without mounting those transistors to their heatsinks (with proper thermal insulators).  

-sonavor

Brokenstereo
Not Ranked
43 Posts
Silver Member

wont normal cpu thermal paste be ok ?

ive ordered upgraded darlingtons 142 and 147 as they were easier to get hold of  and a bunch of tip32c mine had a 32A fitted but i couldnt get that easily

and a new pair of 5600 caps

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,614 Posts
Gold Member

I think a lot of the cpu thermal paste is conductive.
On the transistors that press against a heatsink with a spring such as the Beomaster 1900/2400 I have been using Sil-Pad product for the thermal conductivity. When I don't use the Sil-Pad production I use Wakefield 120 white thermal paste.

-sonavor

Brokenstereo
Not Ranked
43 Posts
Silver Member

ok ordered some of those too

Brokenstereo
Not Ranked
43 Posts
Silver Member

Just put in a new tr27 and I still have standby only krps it on for a few seconds as it wasn't heatsinked 

Brokenstereo
Not Ranked
43 Posts
Silver Member

hi anyone any idea what gauge wire i should be using for replacing the black wiring in the unit just need to extend/replace 1 or 2 bits also what gauge wire is used on the switch as they could do to be made a bit longer too

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,614 Posts
Gold Member

Are you referring to the speaker terminal wiring?

-sonavor

Brokenstereo
Not Ranked
43 Posts
Silver Member

hi its back on and stays on in standby  but as soon as i take it out of stand by it goes straight back to standby

Brokenstereo
Not Ranked
43 Posts
Silver Member

yes i was

as for the switch ones i just cutup a power cable :)

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,614 Posts
Gold Member

Do you hear the protection relay click when it does that?

It sounds like your Beomaster 1900 has more faults in the output amplifier section than just the power transistors that you found damaged. The blown -31VDC filter capacitor incident likely did more damage.

-sonavor

Brokenstereo
Not Ranked
43 Posts
Silver Member

yes relays click  if i do it with the caps off it stays out of standby

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,614 Posts
Gold Member

Okay, then you have some work cut out for you regarding finding the failed components.  A big task I know but it has to be done.

-sonavor

Brokenstereo
Not Ranked
43 Posts
Silver Member

interestingly i took it out of the case again connected everything back up and it turned on and stayed on!

just broken the power switch tho snapped a tab off

gonna try it back in the case

Brokenstereo
Not Ranked
43 Posts
Silver Member

huge update

its working !

i just tried to set the idle voltage though and i dont seem to be able to get any results that make sensethe measurement is bouncing around all over the place it doesnt stay still an as soon as i touch the pot it changes even more

Page 3 of 5 (72 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL