rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 4 Replies | 2 Followers

CBurrows
Not Ranked
2 Posts
Bronze Member
CBurrows posted on Tue, Feb 16 2021 10:48 AM

Hi all, 

I wonder if some of you could help. For years I have wanted a pair of Beolab 6000 speakers and I can see now that they are reasonably priced on the used market. 

I currently have Sonos throughout the house. The lounge I have a pair of Sonos Play 3's, I am wanting to swap these out for a pair of Beolab 6000 . Its a relatively small lounge/snug, so mainly used for background music and light listening. Are these speakers comparable, am I going to see an increase or decrease in sound quality? The Play 3's for me lack a lot in the midrange and the bass can sound boomy and bloated. You have to really crank the volume up the high's to sing through too. 

Am I going to be disappointed with changing to Beolab 6000 or is this a good choice? I have considered other Beolabs (4000, 8000) but like the look of the 6000. 

Any thoughts? 

All Replies

The Beonic Man
Top 150 Contributor
Bristol
800 Posts
Gold Member

I would choose the BL4000s over the BL6000s as I see the BL6000s more as rear speakers in a surround sound setup as opposed to pure listening stereo speakers - even at lower volumes. The BL6000s might be ok to begin with but I don’t think they’ll satisfy you in the long term. Just my opinion though of course. Enjoy whichever you choose. Simon.

BV11-46, BV8-32, V1-32, BS2, P6, A1, H95, E8, BR1, Beo4, Essence

The Beonic Man
Top 150 Contributor
Bristol
800 Posts
Gold Member

Sorry forgot to say that the BL8000s would also be a fantastic choice. I owned a pair for several years and was extremely happy their performance. The BL4000s have a more warmer tone which many like. The BL8000s are the higher performers but not quite as warm. Really depends what sound you are drawn to so a listening test where possible is best. Cheers.

BV11-46, BV8-32, V1-32, BS2, P6, A1, H95, E8, BR1, Beo4, Essence

Allan Minds Ladegaard
Not Ranked
Hinnerup, Denmark
10 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi

The Beolab 6000 in my opinion is a great speaker, I think it would make an upgrade to a pair of Play 3’s. And in looks, it will be a very big upgrade.

I own both 4000, 6000 and 8000, they all have different sounds, but I like all of them.

/Allan

trackbeo
Top 150 Contributor
626 Posts
Bronze Member
trackbeo replied on Wed, Feb 17 2021 12:26 AM

The Beolab 6000 is a pretty speaker.  It is *not* a great speaker.  But neither is a Sonos Play:3.

As a Sonos household, your comparison must be 6000's versus a "trade-up" of two Play:3's for a 15% discount on two Sonos Five's, instead of the Sonos Port that you must buy to drive the 6000's. (Sonos no longer brick the old speakers, so you'd pay $850 (USA) to add a new zone of Five's, or $382 on top of the price of the 6000's to add a Port.  The only bug would be that Five's require you to update to Sonos S2 if you haven't already, whereas the Port for your 6000's does not require that update.)  The Five's actually sound decent, and IMO, will have better midrange & bass than the 6000's -- especially if you Sonos "TruePlay" them for your room, which you can't do with the Port and 6000's.  (That Darko fellow will soon do a review of the Sonos Five, if you put any credence in that sort of thing.)

OK, OK, OK, sure: In fact the 6000 is a *beautiful* speaker, so you should buy 6000's regardless of whether they sound worse than Sonos Five's.  If you are in the EU, 6000's are reasonably priced (there may even be plenty in mint condition).  As an American, I wouldn't consider it because even used are stupidly expensive here.  But in the EU it's de rigueur that you buy the 6000's, whether or not you own a Kay Bojesen monkey,  They will make you smile every time you walk into the room, which I guarantee your Play:3's do not.  The only question is if you will smile more from the sound of the Five's.  But background music?  Nah.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL