rated by 0 users
This post has 96 Replies | 3 Followers

steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 905
Bronze Member
steve1977 replied on Thu, Mar 25 2021 1:21 AM
Sandyb:

I use a Linn streamer DAC into my BL50s , controlled via Roon. And in other rooms, the Roon app controls my A9 and BS2, via CC.

I thought you couldn’t β€œmix” roon with CC end points?
Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,126
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Thu, Mar 25 2021 7:52 AM

You can't mix - I wasn't trying to imply that you could.

Different rooms, different use cases / protocols used. Roon RAAT for my lounge 50s, CC elsewhere.

The one quirk I have with my setup is that my Linn has a digital out, which is fed into my BS4 (all lounge).

That way if I select that digital input on my BS4 setup, I can expand out to other rooms (BS2, A9) using NL.

But generally yes, most times I either listen to Roon on my lounge 50s only (using the analogue out from the Linn to the 50s) OR listen to Roon on some combination of my A9 and BS2 in other rooms.

steve1977:
Sandyb:

I use a Linn streamer DAC into my BL50s , controlled via Roon. And in other rooms, the Roon app controls my A9 and BS2, via CC.

I thought you couldn’t “mix” roon with CC end points?

Normann
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 276
Bronze Member
Normann replied on Thu, Apr 22 2021 7:01 AM

One question to the Roon users. 

I have in my mainlistening area a Moment and some Beolab 18+19.

How can I connect and start playing Roon/Qobuz/Tidal on this system?

Do I need a kind of DAC connected to the Moment thru the analog input?

Today I have Roon on my MacBook Pro, but I am thinking on getting av NUC and a external storage for my local music in the future..

steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 905
Bronze Member
steve1977 replied on Thu, Apr 22 2021 12:21 PM
You can can connect a CCA or an APE (latest version) to the line-in. Or a Core. Or some form of roon device. Should all work.
Ulrike
Top 500 Contributor
Germany
Posts 174
Bronze Member
Ulrike replied on Thu, Apr 22 2021 12:40 PM

Normann:

One question to the Roon users. 

I have in my mainlistening area a Moment and some Beolab 18+19.

How can I connect and start playing Roon/Qobuz/Tidal on this system?

Do I need a kind of DAC connected to the Moment thru the analog input?

Today I have Roon on my MacBook Pro, but I am thinking on getting av NUC and a external storage for my local music in the future..

Okay, here's something to read:

You will need a thing called "Roon Bridge".

https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/sound-quality

You can use a RasPi:

https://darko.audio/2021/03/12-more-thoughts-on-the-raspberry-pi-as-spotify-connect-endpoint/

The cheapest way is a Raspberry Pi, but for that you still need a DAC.
Or you can take a Roon Ready streamer with a built-in DAC, like the Bluesound Node 2i, and connect it analog to the speaker.
Personally, I don't like the sound of the Node's DAC, even though I like the convenience of  Roon Ready, much more pleasant than the RasPi. So I have connected the Node digitally via Spdif to an external DAC and then analog to the speaker.
Whether it is worth the effort depends on the quality of your source material, your hearing and the quality of your DAC and your speakers. If one of them is only mediocre, you might not notice any difference at all.

Ulrike
Top 500 Contributor
Germany
Posts 174
Bronze Member
Ulrike replied on Thu, Apr 22 2021 12:44 PM

https://roonlabs.com/partners/hifiberry

I have a NUC8I7BEH,  very happy with the performance.

If you want a lot of troubles here, use a Chromecast.

carolynperry
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Bronze Member

It’s a proprietary protocol, so the b&o app cannot access the roon server over dlna?  get-vidmateapp.com get-mobdroapk.com

Normann
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 276
Bronze Member
Normann replied on Thu, Apr 22 2021 2:15 PM

steve1977:
You can can connect a CCA or an APE (latest version) to the line-in. Or a Core. Or some form of roon device. Should all work.

So I could connect a Bluesound Node or simular Roon ready device to line in on my Moment? And then it will work like it should with the speakers also turning on/off..?

And the Moment will I assume start when I start playing some music on the Roon ready device..?

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,126
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Thu, Apr 22 2021 2:20 PM
Normann:

So I could connect a Bluesound Node or simular Roon ready device to line in on my Moment? And then it will work like it should with the speakers also turning on/off..?

And the Moment will I assume start when I start playing some music on the Roon ready device..?

Not sure how your speakers are connected, but do you even need the Moment if you are going to use Roon?

I ditched my Moment when I switched over 6 months ago
Normann
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 276
Bronze Member
Normann replied on Thu, Apr 22 2021 2:47 PM

Sandyb:
Normann:

Not sure how your speakers are connected, but do you even need the Moment if you are going to use Roon?

I ditched my Moment when I switched over 6 months ago

I'm not sure.. That's why I am asking for help Big Smile

I think they are connected thru my Beovision Avant ..

How do you connect your Roon ready device to your BO speakers?

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,126
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Thu, Apr 22 2021 3:10 PM
Normann:

I'm not sure.. That's why I am asking for help

I used the multiple connections on the back on my speakers (BeoLab 50s) to connect both a BV using powerlink, and also to connect a Roon ready streamer / DAC via RCA.

That way the 50s can serve both purposes (music or video).

I connect the music source using RCA as it is a DAC (hence analogue out) as well as being a streamer.

That way, if i want to just listen to music, using Roon, the 50s wake up and play.

If i turn on my BV, then the 50s switch over to the TV.

Input selection on the 18s cant be selected via the B&O app in the way that it can be done with the 50s. Instead the 18s have a manufacturer set list of input priorities, but you can achieve pretty much the same thing with the 18s i think.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,472
Bronze Member

Sandyb:
Normann:

Input selection on the 18s cant be selected via the B&O app in the way that it can be done with the 50s. Instead the 18s have a manufacturer set list of input priorities, but you can achieve pretty much the same thing with the 18s i think.

.....and how about the volume control, when you’d connect the ‘Roon device’ directly to the 18’s/19???

In this case - where the Moment is already installed and the speakers seem to be connected to the BV - I’d simply connect the ‘Roon device’ to the Moment/line input....and enjoy whatever you send to the ‘Roon device’. Simplest way!

This way you also can use the ‘Roon device’ in a Beolink aetup....if you have further NL devices.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,126
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Thu, Apr 22 2021 5:59 PM

Good point re keeping the Moment, if he / one wants to retain use of the BR1 for volume control.

Depends on how important or not that is to the poster I guess.

Or just connect the digital out from his Roon Ready streamer / DAC to the Avant itself (spdif input I guess).....that should work too, allowing the BR1 to control music volume, and at the same time getting rid of the Moment. And would still enable NL sharing of Roon music.

Myself, I removed the Moment, sold it to recover some money, didnt really like having hardware kicking around for extremely limited reasons, and in the end I use the Roon app most of the time for volume control.  On the odd occasion I use my streamers/DACs remote, which is no big deal. Its pretty nice and - wait for it - has 6 my buttons.....which can be used to store a range of things (music content wise).

Millemissen:

Sandyb:
Normann:

.....and how about the volume control, when you’d connect the ‘Roon device’ directly to the 18’s/19???

In this case - where the Moment is already installed and the speakers seem to be connected to the BV - I’d simply connect the ‘Roon device’ to the Moment/line input....and enjoy whatever you send to the ‘Roon device’. Simplest way!

This way you also can use the ‘Roon device’ in a Beolink aetup....if you have further NL devices.

MM

Normann
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 276
Bronze Member
Normann replied on Thu, Apr 22 2021 7:56 PM

Millemissen:

Sandyb:
Normann:

MM

Thank MM

NL is something i use alot, and don’t want to be without it..

so i can ex buy a Bluesound Node and Connect it to my Moment, and it will also play NL.?!

That’s just great πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ˜

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,472
Bronze Member

Normann:

Thank MM

so i can ex buy a Bluesound Node and Connect it to my Moment, and it will also play NL.?!

Anything that is connected to any of the line input on the NL devices can be distributed over NL.

Nowadays a lot use that for distributing the sound from a turntable.

You can - if you want - connect the Node (as an example) to one of the other devices on the NL.

There are people, who buy an M3 and use that exclusively for distributing what is connected to the line input there.

You could alternatively connect it to the Harmony/Sound Center using the digital/optical in, if the Node (or alike) has a digital output port.

Some are convinced that the sound will be better that way (compared to an analog to analog connection). 
Maybe that would even make it easier to hide the Roon device/the Node away.

MM

Normann
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 276
Bronze Member
Normann replied on Thu, Apr 22 2021 8:35 PM

Millemissen:

Normann:

Thank MM

Anything that is connected to any of the line input on the NL devices can be distributed over NL.

Nowadays a lot use that for distributing the sound from a turntable.

You can - if you want - connect the Node (as an example) to one of the other devices on the NL.

There are people, who buy an M3 and use that exclusively for distributing what is connected to the line input there.

You could alternatively connect it to the Harmony/Sound Center using the digital/optical in, if the Node (or alike) has a digital output port.

Some are convinced that the sound will be better that way (compared to an analog to analog connection). 
Maybe that would even make it easier to hide the Roon device/the Node away.

MM

ThanksπŸ‘πŸ»

i have a Avant tv, so hopefully this has the same possibility as a Harmony/Sound center..

i have to check it out πŸ˜πŸ‘Œ 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,472
Bronze Member

Normann:

ThanksπŸ‘πŸ»

i have a Avant tv, so hopefully this has the same possibility as a Harmony/Sound center.. 

i have to check it out πŸ˜πŸ‘Œ 

Sure -  as for NL distribution, these work basicly the same way as the Harmony Sound Center.

Note - I did wonder about the Harmony and a Moment - these don’t integrate the same way as the Avant and the Moment......that was my mistake!

Have fun - and please report back, once you have set things up.

MM

Page 3 of 3 (97 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL