Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

Roon

rated by 0 users
This post has 96 Replies | 3 Followers

steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 898
Bronze Member
The more i play around with it, the more i understand the excitement many of you have about roon. It is indeed an outstanding product with clear UI. Clearly qualified to be named the “plex of music”.

There seems to be one major issue though, which i need to play around more with, but am also keen to get guidance.

It seems roon core doesn’t just read the tags, but matches every album or even track. So, it all depends whether the underlying database finds a match. And that’s what’s an issue for some of my artists.

For example, i have audiobooks with an albumartist named after the audiobook series. That’s the way how spotify, deezer and others handle it. However, roon identifies these audiobooks as all coming from different artists (some after the name of the audibook series, while others after the author, and yet again others after the people reading it).

Issue not just for audiobooks. But also have some albums of albumartist A, which room identifies to have 4 primary artists, to which it all associates the album with. So, it forces its own database with higher priority to my embedded tags.

Any experience or thoughts how to handle this?
Tassos
Top 500 Contributor
Athens
Posts 270
Bronze Member
Tassos replied on Sun, Feb 7 2021 7:52 AM

steve1977:
The more i play around with it, the more i understand the excitement many of you have about roon. It is indeed an outstanding product with clear UI. Clearly qualified to be named the “plex of music”.

There seems to be one major issue though, which i need to play around more with, but am also keen to get guidance.

It seems roon core doesn’t just read the tags, but matches every album or even track. So, it all depends whether the underlying database finds a match. And that’s what’s an issue for some of my artists.

For example, i have audiobooks with an albumartist named after the audiobook series. That’s the way how spotify, deezer and others handle it. However, roon identifies these audiobooks as all coming from different artists (some after the name of the audibook series, while others after the author, and yet again others after the people reading it).

Issue not just for audiobooks. But also have some albums of albumartist A, which room identifies to have 4 primary artists, to which it all associates the album with. So, it forces its own database with higher priority to my embedded tags.

Hello Steve,

on the album page if you hit the three dots and then edit you can fiddle around with the metadata and how Roon identifies albums. Don't know much about audiobooks but I believe you can somehow fix your issue through the album editor  

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,050
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Sun, Feb 7 2021 8:30 AM
steve1977:

As I’ve said, play around with Library settings...you can get Roon to preferred your emended meta data if you want i think.

Anyway, have a play.
Ulrike
Top 500 Contributor
Germany
Posts 174
Bronze Member
Ulrike replied on Sun, Feb 7 2021 10:08 AM

Carolpa:

Ulrike:
Carolpa:
[
Ulrike:
You can just use roon bridge for any device:

https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/roonbridge

Interesting. But do you technical speaking enjoying RAAT or is RAAT converted to a stream accepted by B&o? I would say the latter.

RAAT (Roon Advanced Audio Transport) is Roon's own streaming protocol, which enables you to play Roon music to any Roon Ready hardware device or to devices connected to a Roon Bridge.
Roon Bridge is a software package that extends Roon's audio playback capabilities i.e. RAAT to other devices or computers, including embedded platforms like the Raspberry Pi.
The latter I have done (could have used a one-box solution like a bluesound node as well), thus the BS2 connected to the Roon Bridge is capable of playing RAAT.

I did use Roon for two years (some years ago), but was not aware of Roon Bridge. I mostly agree with you about RAAT, but on the issue about extending to other devices I have another opinion.

A parallel example: B&o can not play DSF music files. So I have software in my music servers which makes it available to play on B&o. To follow your analogy B&o can play DSF, but B&o simply can't. The software converts it to a B&o eatable file.

Hi @Carolpa, I had the same problem with moderation of my previous reply too.

Regarding your question, it depends.
The BS2 has neither a digital nor a usb, only an analog via cinch mini jack input, unfortunately.
So it is not possible to feed a digital signal like RAAT from a Roon Bridge via Spdif, which is then processed by the DAC of the BS2 and played back. With many other speakers no problem, just connect a Roon Bridge, e.g. a Raspberry Pi with a HAT, via spdif or optical out to a speaker, then the internal dac of the speaker processes the signal from the ROON Core Server, which has been decoded and transmitted as full PCM.

(It is the ROON Core Server that is decoding audio and transmitting full PCM)
So for the BS2, or the A6 as well, you need an external DAC, because it only accepts analog signals.
I tried all day yesterday, rearranged and compared, and have now completely switched everything in the house from Chromecast to RAAT. Next I have set up different zones for Roon, which is no issue with Roon Ready devices, which now play in perfect sync quite like Chromecast groups.
I have a Bluesound Node 2i, to which now the BS2 is connected as well as a TV via optical for Roon.
I made a comparison - an older but quite good Denon DAC with the same cable on the BS2 sounded better than the Node, the DAC is obviously crucial here for the sound.
Everything is now arranged in such a way that Chromecast can still be used as a fallback if necessary. Who knows ... :)

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,050
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Sun, Feb 7 2021 10:46 AM
Ulrike:

Hi @Carolpa, I had the same problem with moderation of my previous reply too. Regarding your question, it depends. The BS2 has neither a digital nor a usb, only an analog via cinch mini jack input, unfortunately. So it is not possible to feed a digital signal like RAAT from a Roon Bridge via Spdif, which is then processed by the DAC of the BS2 and played back. With many other speakers no problem, just connect a Roon Bridge, e.g. a Raspberry Pi with a HAT, via spdif or optical out to a speaker, then the internal dac of the speaker processes the RAAT signal. So for the BS2, or the A6 as well, you need an external DAC, because it only accepts analog signals. I tried all day yesterday, rearranged and compared, and have now completely switched everything in the house from Chromecast to RAAT. Next I have set up different zones for Roon, which is no issue with Roon Ready devices, which now play in perfect sync quite like Chromecast groups. I have a Bluesound Node 2i, to which now the BS2 is connected as well as a TV via optical for Roon. I made a comparison - an older but quite good Denon DAC with the same cable on the BS2 sounded better than the Node, the DAC is obviously crucial here for the sound. Everything is now arranged in such a way that Chromecast can still be used as a fallback if necessary. Who knows ... :)

Interesting post, thanks

I don’t mind using CC (via Roon) on my BS2 and A9 to be honest. That route is more capable than using Airplay, and sounds better.

Obviously for my 50’s I do something different- Nucleus to Linn streamer/ Dac into 50s.

I can (and have) used the Linn digital output straight to the 50’s (by passing the Linn DAC), by the Linn DAC sounds a good deal nicer. I wouldn’t even say it’s that close either- the DAC makes a very decent difference
Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,409
Bronze Member
Carolpa replied on Sun, Feb 7 2021 11:03 AM

Ulrike:

The BS2 has neither a digital nor a usb, only an analog via cinch mini jack input, unfortunately.
So it is not possible to feed a digital signal like RAAT from a Roon Bridge via Spdif, which is then processed by the DAC of the BS2 and played back. With many other speakers no problem, just connect a Roon Bridge, e.g. a Raspberry Pi with a HAT, via spdif or optical out to a speaker, then the internal dac of the speaker processes the RAAT signal.
So for the BS2, or the A6 as well, you need an external DAC, because it only accepts analog signals.
I tried all day yesterday, rearranged and compared, and have now completely switched everything in the house from Chromecast to RAAT. Next I have set up different zones for Roon, which is no issue with Roon Ready devices, which now play in perfect sync quite like Chromecast groups.
I have a Bluesound Node 2i, to which now the BS2 is connected as well as a TV via optical for Roon.
I made a comparison - an older but quite good Denon DAC with the same cable on the BS2 sounded better than the Node, the DAC is obviously crucial here for the sound.
Everything is now arranged in such a way that Chromecast can still be used as a fallback if necessary. Who knows ... :)

Hi Ulrike,

Okay, now I understand. Technical speaking you confirm that your B&o devices do not accept RAAT, but the Bluesound Node 2i does. The Node 2i outputs a PCM format to the B&o device. This is a simular solution I used previously. I HDMI connected a PC running Roon to my Beovision (for multichannel music files). The other option I tried was a Pi+HifiBerry hat, spdif connected to a BS35. The latter can be used to multiroom the stream to other B&o devices using NL & the B&o app. Then everything is in synch.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,195
Bronze Member

Carolpa:

Hi Ulrike,

Okay, now I understand. Technical speaking you confirm that your B&o devices do not accept RAAT, but the Bluesound Node 2i does. The Node 2i outputs a PCM format to the B&o device. This is a simular solution I used previously. I HDMI connected a PC running Roon to my Beovision (for multichannel music files). The other option I tried was a Pi+HifiBerry hat, spdif connected to a BS35. The latter can be used to multiroom the stream to other B&o devices using NL & the B&o app. Then everything is in synch.

That is something that can be done for ages - with any device (coax or analog output)....some use a turntable to have it multiroomed this way.

If you want to ‘perfect’ this a bit, get an M3, connect the output of the Pi to it, deactivate anything else in the M3 (but beolink), call it Roon, and hide it away with the Pi.

This way you can access the Pi everywhere on the NL - expand and join.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,050
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Sun, Feb 7 2021 11:18 AM

Yes, none of the B&O devices are recognised as Roon ready / certified, and Roon thus can't use the RAAT protocol with them.

I didn't know you were a Roon user (obviously I wasnt paying attention!)....have you been using it for a long time?

I'm 6 months in to my Roon life, and I love it - I didn't like the Tidal app (I'm now using Qobuz), and the B&O app is awful for music browsing.

I'll move my annual to a lifetime subscription next time up.

Carolpa:

Ulrike:

So it is not possible to feed a digital signal like RAAT from a Roon Bridge via Spdif, which is then processed by the DAC of the BS2 and played back. With many other speakers no problem, just connect a Roon Bridge, e.g. a Raspberry Pi with a HAT, via spdif or optical out to a speaker, then the internal dac of the speaker processes the RAAT signal.

Hi Ulrike,

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,409
Bronze Member
Carolpa replied on Sun, Feb 7 2021 12:09 PM

Sandyb:
Yes, none of the B&O devices are recognised as Roon ready / certified, and Roon thus can't use the RAAT protocol with them.

I didn't know you were a Roon user (obviously I wasnt paying attention!)....have you been using it for a long time?

I'm 6 months in to my Roon life, and I love it - I didn't like the Tidal app (I'm now using Qobuz), and the B&O app is awful for music browsing.

I'll move my annual to a lifetime subscription next time up.

Hi,

I used it for two years and I loved it a lot, but I noticed that after sometime, if you listen to the same music, you get obviously the same metadata.

Still I opted for lifetime subscription, but the price was increased suddenly with about $300, which did set me of. 

But still it is a superb shell and quality music player.

Nowadays I use Audirvana. Same quality as player, less quality as metadata shell, but a good intermediate for Qobuz/Tidal. It is "closer" to B&o, because the easy way of UPnP/DLNA stream to one B&o device directly and use the multiroom service of NL (with all tag info send to the B&o devices). 

Ulrike
Top 500 Contributor
Germany
Posts 174
Bronze Member
Ulrike replied on Sun, Feb 7 2021 12:45 PM

steve1977:

Maybe something helpful here?

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/my-box-set-solution/75862?u

steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 898
Bronze Member
I’m now testing both roon and audirvana. Will take a decision thereafter.

Roon seems to be clearly the much more advanced / professional solution. I now get how they can ask for $ 700 and seems well worth it. The UI is really nice and is describe it as even better than alikes of spotify. Major drawback is that it will require some work / time to get it flawless to work with my tagged library. And integration with b&o is not flawless (no tags, no touch to join).

Audirvana relies on my tags, which is great for my use case. And b&o integration seems great. A few things that i don’t seem to be able to get working:

* No artist photos (it takes an album cover instead)

* Cannot switch between speakers halfway through an album. need to stop everything

* No native multi-room. Need the b&o app for it. And for some reason, distributed sound from audirnava is out of sync
MaxH
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 111
Gold Member
MaxH replied on Sun, Feb 7 2021 2:46 PM

Tried out Roon and after two weeks I simply hated it!

Thought the UI was clumsy, it choked on MQA files and I preferred the sound though my Lumin streamer.

Re-thought my usage, tinkered a little and 'unlearnt' everything I knew about how to organise my music and I love it now - simply love it :-)

If all people need to do is to play their own files I can see it is a waste of money, but if you stream, want to discover new music and experiment, it's unmatched by any other system I know of - it's a great central part of your listening experience.

Upgraded software due next week - can't wait :-)  

sjmcguckin
Not Ranked
Posts 17
Bronze Member

If you have active B&O speakers that are wired, either powerlink or line-in, the Almando Switch is a great product. Just connect it to a Roon ready endpoint and the Almando Switch will take care of the rest.

Audio
Not Ranked
Posts 31
Bronze Member
Audio replied on Sun, Feb 7 2021 7:56 PM

I love Roon. I have the Roon Core installed on my NAS and stream  to my loudspeakers via Airplay. I use Airplay because I can multiroom sync different loudspeakers within the Roon App. When you use Chrome Cast (CC), you also have to use Google Home App to sync / group different CC devices. And I do not like to change between different Apps for related tasks.

As former user of the Beosound Moment and iOS Bang&Olufsen App (a horrible user experience for me) I am very happy that I found a company that is able to develop software for music enthusiasts.

steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 898
Bronze Member
steve1977 replied on Thu, Feb 11 2021 2:14 AM
You guys got me hooked to the roon.

Playing around with it. Still not getting everything how i want it to, but indeed quite powerful player.

Does anyone have experience using room in combination with the essence remote? Let’s assume i use roon to play to 5 b&o speakers, which are all connected to an essence remote? Can i stop individual speakers or will the essence kill the stream from all 5 speakers? Can i join in with a 6th speaker?
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 495
Bronze Member
1990 replied on Thu, Feb 11 2021 9:59 AM

Depends on what you are using. If you use the line in, you can join / mute and control volume with each Essence for each speaker. But you can't skip a track or pause the music playback. If Roon can be controlled over HTTP, you could use a BLGW to achieve that functionality too.

steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 898
Bronze Member
steve1977 replied on Sat, Feb 13 2021 2:58 PM
1990:

Depends on what you are using. If you use the line in, you can join / mute and control volume with each Essence for each speaker. But you can't skip a track or pause the music playback. If Roon can be controlled over HTTP, you could use a BLGW to achieve that functionality too.

Prefer not to use line-in, but use it natively in-speaker. I played a bit around and it seems to work reasonably well as long as i use AP.
Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,409
Bronze Member
Carolpa replied on Sat, Feb 13 2021 6:24 PM

steve1977:
Prefer not to use line-in, but use it natively in-speaker. I played a bit around and it seems to work reasonably well as long as i use AP.

Hi Steve,

what is your final goal? do you want sound quality or an ease of controll?

if you want  both, I would get a Roon ready device. Line-in or SPdif connect it to a NL device and use multiroom of B&o. Or maybe even opting for CC.

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,050
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Sat, Feb 13 2021 6:49 PM
Definitely- I use a dedicated Roon ready streamer and also CC on my A9 / BS2

CC on those two sounds better than AP
steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 898
Bronze Member
steve1977 replied on Sun, Feb 14 2021 7:08 AM
Oh, i got it. Roon receiver will have superior audio quality over airplay.

Chromecast isn’t an option as i’d like to be able to use NL. While technically, i could do this via CCA with line-in, i prefer not to use a discontinued product (i’m selling the four i have).

To get the higher quality, i’d need to connect a roon receiver to the line-in of a NL product, which i can then extend to the rest of the place. Downside is that it would add an extra device and cables. And it would limit me to starting the stream on only one device.

And in either case, i couldn’t see metadata in the halo or true b&o app. It would either just say airplay or line-in.

it’s a pity the roon developers ruled out dlna support, which would allow to display album and artist name on b&o devices.

I’m in my second trial week. Will need to decide in a few days whether to go for it or stick to plex...
Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,050
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Sun, Feb 14 2021 8:53 AM

What B&O speakers are you / will you be playing out of in your various rooms?

If its a bunch of single point speakers, like the BS2 / A9 etc, then I wouldn't bother with getting a dedicated Roon ready hardware to make them RAAT capable.  Any advantages of RAAT aren't that significant on those types of speakers, in my humble.

As for the multi room experience, why bother using the B&O app / Halo at all? Doesn't really make sense with a Roon setup to me.  You won't get any metadata, nor content selection ability - just an ability to join other rooms to something you've started using the Roon app.

In which case, and if you're using a bunch of single point speakers, you can do all of that using the Roon app (be it via AP or CC).  

Jumping between the Roon app and then to the B&O app / Halo seems a fractured experience to me.

steve1977:
Oh, i got it. Roon receiver will have superior audio quality over airplay.

Chromecast isn’t an option as i’d like to be able to use NL. While technically, i could do this via CCA with line-in, i prefer not to use a discontinued product (i’m selling the four i have).

To get the higher quality, i’d need to connect a roon receiver to the line-in of a NL product, which i can then extend to the rest of the place. Downside is that it would add an extra device and cables. And it would limit me to starting the stream on only one device.

And in either case, i couldn’t see metadata in the halo or true b&o app. It would either just say airplay or line-in.

it’s a pity the roon developers ruled out dlna support, which would allow to display album and artist name on b&o devices.

I’m in my second trial week. Will need to decide in a few days whether to go for it or stick to plex...

steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 898
Bronze Member
steve1977 replied on Sun, Feb 14 2021 9:58 AM
Thanks.

Yes, bunch of single point speakers.

I don’t want to use the B&O app, but there are three reasons why i don’t want to just yet give up on the NL compatibility. (1) i love the “touch to join” feature. Plus “touch to mute” and “long touch to stop”. All of this wouldn’t work if using CC or purely roon. (2) Using few essence as “light switch”, but so far only have one (and not even using it yet). (3) The new BV can play audio to defined groups even when off.

No plans to ever buy a BL90 if these are the speakers where it does make a difference.

I also have a core in the mix with BL3/11 connected.

And lastly, i’m contemplating to buy a new BV and in this case may also add BL50. Hoping though for some smaller BLs to come this year. There is a rumor about BL28, which may better taste.
Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,050
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Sun, Feb 14 2021 10:10 AM
Understood

Who knows exactly where NL is going in the future? So much as I’m a big fan of the various touch gestures, they’re not critical to me and I don’t let them drive my architecture

I only went the Roon route once I bought 50’s. I have Roon feeding a Roon ready streamer / DAC into the 50’s directly . That’s a 50’s only listening scenario

The streamer also feeds digital to my BV, so Roon can be shared via NL that way

Best of both
Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,409
Bronze Member
Carolpa replied on Sun, Feb 14 2021 10:16 AM

Sandyb:
Any advantages of RAAT aren't that significant on those types of speakers, in my humble.
RAAT is not supported. So you will get PCM to the B&o devices just as other streams.
Sandyb:
just an ability to join other rooms to something you've started using the Roon app.
true, but then use CC, otherwise why have a discussion about sound quality/RAAT?
Sandyb:
Jumping between the Roon app and then to the B&O app / Halo seems a fractured experience to me.
Actually I am used to B&o multiroom alot and prefer it above the other possibilities. So I combine it with Audirvana as a source to my A6 (technically one can switch the player in Audirvana, but I got used to this setup). This streaming source for me is the same as a source from a BLC (such as a BG4002 or BS9000 or Beosystem 7000)

steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 898
Bronze Member
steve1977 replied on Sun, Feb 14 2021 3:14 PM
Net net, i’m still betting NL is getting somewhere / while survive.

If not, roon will be the answer...
Ulrike
Top 500 Contributor
Germany
Posts 174
Bronze Member
Ulrike replied on Sun, Feb 14 2021 5:04 PM

https://youtu.be/ZVm_tCoxqyg

Above, I think, is something quite informative regarding the capabilities of Roon. In the first third of the video he shows different Roon Ready endpoint devices and explains a bit ... He also shows the Raspberry Pi, a small unit, with the help of which you can easily get away with 100 € to make another device or a speaker Roon ready.
The other two thirds of the movie are about how to build a NUC server that runs Roon Rock OS - not interesting if you want to buy a Nucleus.
But apart from that a great thing, I built one and am highly satisfied since two years.
Like the Nucleus it does support EQ Convolution files and DSD upsampling to multiple zones, playing around the house at the same time, the same or different music files for the whole family.

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,050
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Sun, Feb 14 2021 5:33 PM

Carolpa:

Sandyb:
Any advantages of RAAT aren't that significant on those types of speakers, in my humble.
RAAT is not supported. So you will get PCM to the B&o devices just as other streams.
Sandyb:
just an ability to join other rooms to something you've started using the Roon app.
true, but then use CC, otherwise why have a discussion about sound quality/RAAT?
Sandyb:
Actually I am used to B&o multiroom alot and prefer it above the other possibilities. So I combine it with Audirvana as a source to my A6 (technically one can switch the player in Audirvana, but I got used to this setup). This streaming source for me is the same as a source from a BLC (such as a BG4002 or BS9000 or Beosystem 7000)

Yes, all of which I'm aware of, but I was merely responding to Steve's q which hinted at using Roon but also B&O NL.

In answering I didn't know what his B&O speaker setup is firstly, and moreover just to point out that things like the B&O app or Halo will just be bit part players in the overall experience if you're starting with Roon.

And given that at the moment he has single point speakers, Roon can work fine with them via CC or AP, both streaming to them and handling multi room. So while on the one hand you lose the physical touch to join ability, you do gain everything being done in one place, and that place (Roon) being your all encompassing music manager / experience controller. And I'm not sure that for the majority that adding Roon ready hardware into the back of one of the single point speakers is worth it, just to avoid using CC or AP.

These single point speakers are after all limited to me.  If you have them, sure use the best protocol that it can handle (why not I'd say?), so I do use Roon to CC to my BS9 / A9 rather than AP to them. And they do sound nicer to a point. 

But maybe thats just my personal preference - if all I had was a bunch of single point speakers, I'd be content using Roon to manage my music experience on those using AP / CC, and wouldn't start changing the aesthetic by tacking on Roon ready hardware just to avoid CC / AP.  If you use Roon for a bigger setup with 5s / 50s / 90s etc, then fine I'd explore RR devices to feed them.

steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 898
Bronze Member
steve1977 replied on Mon, Feb 15 2021 2:59 AM
Sandyb:

I only went the Roon route once I bought 50’s. I have Roon feeding a Roon ready streamer / DAC into the 50’s directly . That’s a 50’s only listening scenario

You have two streamers? Or how do you feed your BV and BL50?

Any reason why you feed your BL50 directly rather than through the BV?

As said, i’m thinking to buy a new BV and connect BL50 or upcoming smaller BL. I’m thinking to have them as rears. And then set up the BV to play audio only through the BL50. And video through tv speakers (set up as center / left / right) and bl50 rears.
Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,050
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Mon, Feb 15 2021 6:51 AM

I have one streamer - well in fact its a streamer / DAC.

It has digital outputs, which I connect to my BV. In this case its just acting as a streaming transport.

It also has analogue outputs, which I connect direct to my 50s. In this case I'm using its DAC, as well as its streaming transport capabilities.

This second use case sounds a good deal nicer - the Linn unit I have has their better DAC. so no surprise there.

Most of the time when I trigger Roon, because my BV is off, the 50s pick the analogue signal from the streamer/DAC.  This is not multi room-able, as a direct connection to the 50s exists outside the NL ecosystem. 

If I turn on my BV, the 50s switch over - Roon then becomes distributable via NL.    I do this from time to time to get multi room Roon. At other times, I just use a Roon CC group comprising of my BS2 (kitchen) and A9 (bedroom) as a multi room group.

Anyway, most of the time I'm not multi rooming - so its usually start something on Roon, and the 50s fire up and pick the analogue signal it gets from the Linn.

steve1977:
Sandyb:

You have two streamers? Or how do you feed your BV and BL50?

Any reason why you feed your BL50 directly rather than through the BV?

As said, i’m thinking to buy a new BV and connect BL50 or upcoming smaller BL. I’m thinking to have them as rears. And then set up the BV to play audio only through the BL50. And video through tv speakers (set up as center / left / right) and bl50 rears.

mm08642
Not Ranked
Posts 42
Bronze Member
mm08642 replied on Sat, Feb 20 2021 5:16 PM

I love Roon, too.

I only buy Roon Ready devices. Because the low rate streaming of Airplay and the multiroom deficiencies of Chromecast is nothing for high end sound and a good user experience in my eyes.

That lead to the consequence, that I do not buy any B&O products anymore. But perhaps one day B&O will find out that app development is not their competence at all and will offer Roon Ready devices.

seethroughyou
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 894
Bronze Member
What Roon devices have you all bought?

Innuos seems very popular

Present: BL90, Beosound Moment, Beosound Core, BL6000, Beogram CD7000, Beogram 7000, BS Essence Remote.

Past: BL1, BL2, BL8000, BS9000, BL5, Beocenter 2, Beosound 5, BV5, BV4-50, BV4-65, Beosystem 3, BL3, DVD1, Beoremote 4.

Ulrike
Top 500 Contributor
Germany
Posts 174
Bronze Member
Ulrike replied on Sat, Feb 20 2021 6:42 PM

I have bought three of them so far, being quite happy with all of them:

Primare np5 prisma

Naim mu-so qb 2

Bluesound node 2i 

Sound quality from the first is amazing.

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,050
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Sat, Feb 20 2021 7:38 PM
seethroughyou:

What Roon devices have you all bought?

Innuos seems very popular

Someone on the forum had / has an Innuos server, and thought it wasn’t nearly worth the money

Not sure who that was, but maybe they’ll chime in

I use a Linn Selekt as my Roon endpoint, and it’s been excellent. Expensive, but I bought it for its DAC too, so didn’t mind
Ulrike
Top 500 Contributor
Germany
Posts 174
Bronze Member
Ulrike replied on Sat, Feb 20 2021 10:46 PM

I thought about whether to report this but would like to share here:

Due to the lack of connections other than analog, I couldn't help but connect my BS2 analog to my Bluesound node i7.

Which soundwise was not convincing, but rather poor. The node's DAC can't be the best, apparently.

I tried something after that and connected a rather old DAC I had lying around (a Denon DA-300USB) via optical between the node and the BS2, so that the digital to analog conversion was done by the Denon and not by the Bluesound node:

I'm sorry to say that I was shocked at how much better the sound was through the old Denon than through the BS2 with its own DAC. So much better than the sound of the BS2 alone, via its built in DAC and without all the manipulations.

That should not be at the price.

So, unfortunately, you should be aware that with the BS2 you are just buying a good-looking sculpture that also plays music.

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,409
Bronze Member
Carolpa replied on Sun, Feb 21 2021 5:01 AM

Ulrike:
Due to the lack of connections other than analog, I couldn't help but connect my BS2 analog to my Bluesound node i7.
So you are using the Bluesounds DAC to play music to the analog connected BS2.
Ulrike:
I'm sorry to say that I was shocked at how much better the sound was through the old Denon than through the BS2 with its own DAC. So much better than the sound of the BS2 alone, via its built in DAC and without all the manipulations.
Then you played music using your Denon DAC (also analog connected to the BS2).

So practical what you are doing is comparing the DAC of the Denon and the Bluesound.

That said, it says nothing about the quality of the BS2 DAC in comparison to the other two.

Ulrike:
So, unfortunately, you should be aware that with the BS2 you are just buying a good-looking sculpture that also plays music.
Thus this conclusion in this comparison is at least doubtful.

The only conclusion about this reported test: to you the Denon DA-300USB DAC sounds beter than the Bluesound node i7 DAC when both are analog connected to a BS2.

Ulrike
Top 500 Contributor
Germany
Posts 174
Bronze Member
Ulrike replied on Sun, Feb 21 2021 10:02 AM

Hi Carolpa,

no, I don't think that's the case. If you have a little time to spare, maybe you could watch this short video that explains it very well?

https://youtu.be/p1em2renxds

I am not a Darko fan, but the analogy with the different lenses on top of each other like at the optician is a good one:

So - I know my BS2's own sound well enough, because I listen to it almost daily, and I use that as a starting point.

I need the BS Node as Roon endpoint to listen to music via Roon and the BS2, otherwise it does not work.

I don't need the DAC of the Node though because it doesn't sound good, hence:

I connected the Node digitally via its optical output to the optical input of the Denon DAC and also configured the Node in the Bluesound app to use an external DA converter. Thus, the DAC of the Node is switched off and the conversion is done via the Denon DAC.

I connected the analog output of the Denon to the analog line-in of the BS2.

And now discover, to my amazement, that the BS2 sounds worlds better connected this way than it did before, when it was playing using only its own DA converter and DSP engine.

See Darko's explanation above, which actually seems quite plausible, doesn't it?

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,409
Bronze Member
Carolpa replied on Sun, Feb 21 2021 1:48 PM

Point 1: as I descibed. The DAC of the Bluesound will convert the signal from digital to analog to be input to the BS2.

Point 2: as described. The Bluesound will output a digital signal to the Denon. The Denon convert the digital signal to analog to be feeded to the BS2.

Point 3. is the same as Point 2. You descibe the output of the Denon is analog, so de conversion digital to analog is done by the Denon or before the Denon. Thus the BS2 is feeded a analog signal.

In all examples the input of the BS2 is analog, so in all the examples the DAC of the BS2 is not used to get in these examples a final audible signal.

So my previous point still stands. Your conclusion of the BS2 is based on incorrect arguments.

Normann
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 275
Bronze Member
Normann replied on Wed, Mar 24 2021 5:42 PM

Hello. I am looking into Roon, and I wonder if it would be possible to connect a Raspberry Pi with Roon Bridge on it to a BLGW or BLI so it can play on my NL devices?

If not, what kind of an Roon endpoint would you recommend using to connect to B&O speakers?

Is it better to just use the CC over the airplay for better quality..

The B&O isn't cheap, so why being satisfied with low res audio quality??

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,050
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Wed, Mar 24 2021 6:21 PM
If you make all your speakers Roon visible endpoints, it may just be a lot simpler using the Roon app...

Someone else started a BLGW Roon integration thread recently- probably worth a read.

I use a Linn streamer DAC into my BL50s , controlled via Roon. And in other rooms, the Roon app controls my A9 and BS2, via CC.

But I appreciate of course you may have specific BLGW needs/ desires!
Normann
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 275
Bronze Member
Normann replied on Wed, Mar 24 2021 6:31 PM

Thanks, I did see the other thread just after I posted my question..

I suppose it's some other dac solutions that can be used, that not burns of all my cash? Big Smile

I suppose that a Raspberry Pi has a lower audio streaming technology then a Linn..

What will you recommend ?

Page 2 of 3 (97 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL