Roon

rated by 0 users
This post has 96 Replies | 3 Followers

steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 903
Bronze Member
steve1977 Posted: Thu, Feb 4 2021 2:43 PM
It seems many of b&o fans are using roon.

I’m a bit less clear how it actually works alongside of b&o products and what gets people excited about it?

It seems fairly pricey for what it does?

It’s a proprietary protocol, so the b&o app cannot access the roon server over dlna?

How does the roon multi-room work and does it work with b&o speakers?
RichardIII
Not Ranked
Posts 56
Bronze Member

I use Roon myself, but not direct on B&O speakers.

B&O speakers have no Roon endpoint build in right now (which is real shame ;-)

I use a streamer in between.

Another option is to use airplay of chromecast (not airplay2) to directly connect to B&O speakers.

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,474
Bronze Member
Carolpa replied on Thu, Feb 4 2021 3:06 PM

steve1977:
I’m a bit less clear how it actually works alongside of b&o products
the connection to B&o can be handled 3 ways:

1. Chromecast

2. Airplay

3. A Roon ready/compatible device or Mac/PC connected to B&o

steve1977:
what gets people excited about it?
Over your music collection and the connected streams, Roon places a shell with info about artist, albums, genres, etc. Just this additional info is the PLUS of Roon.

steve1977:
So true
steve1977:
so the b&o app cannot access the roon server over dlna
Roon is not a DLNA server. It can read from DLNA servers but it uses its own protocol for renderers/players.
steve1977:
Roon is compatible with Airplay and Chromecast (1 & 2). So you can Multiroom your music that way. If you have a Roon ready/compatible divice connected to B&o audio/video you can use B&o own multiroom.

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,080
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Thu, Feb 4 2021 4:51 PM
I’ve been using it for 6 months and love it

As others have said - it requires something running the Roon server , and then you use the control app on tablet, phone, computer or whatever

So in two parts like the Moment, but miles better

Beolab speakers need Roon ready hardware to feed them. For my BS2 and A9, Roon sees them as Airplay or CC speakers

If you just use streaming music services then Roon is probably overkill

If you combine that with a local library then it makes more sense

But a lot of the benefits come from its UI, which is magnificent, and it does discovery and Roon Radio (its version of MOTS) very well

It’s not perfect but it’s night and day compared to the Moment
Ulrike
Top 500 Contributor
Germany
Posts 174
Bronze Member
Ulrike replied on Thu, Feb 4 2021 4:52 PM

Something to read and check out:

https://land.roonlabs.com/introducing-1-8?utm_source=email_blast&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=1_8_software_launch&utm_content=e

https://roonlabs.com/?utm_source=campaign_land_page&utm_medium=campaign_land_page&utm_campaign=1_8_software_launch

And I really have to say that Roon's own RAAT protocol appeals to me much more than chromecast or even airplay. RAAT via a Roon ready device just sounds much better ... try it out!

Even my BS2, which now runs via RAAT instead of Chromecast, gives me more pleasure now in terms of sound.

What is also outstanding, where else can you find that?, I can listen to all my CDs in a library together with the albums / tracks streamed from streaming services, create playlists ... for me this simply is great :)

seethroughyou
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 923
Bronze Member
No Deezer but otherwise great.

Present: BL90, Beosound Moment, Beosound Core, BL6000, Beogram CD7000, Beogram 7000, BS Essence Remote.

Past: BL1, BL2, BL8000, BS9000, BL5, Beocenter 2, Beosound 5, BV5, BV4-50, BV4-65, Beosystem 3, BL3, DVD1, Beoremote 4.

trackbeo
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 585
Bronze Member

steve1977:
I’m a bit less clear how it actually works alongside of b&o products and what gets people excited about it?  It seems fairly pricey for what it does?
It is a tiny bit pricey because it rents two (or more?) commercial databases, including the entire AllMusic editorial database and some huge full-album-credits database.  But the key point is it *integrates* your own local music library with a subscribed service (Tidal or Qobuz).  The click-thru, multi-linked, "magazine article" Roon creates for you, when you start playing a song, is incredibly detailed and way better than your crummy album-front-cover scan and your own metadata.  Just look at the photos in their website "Features" page -- you don't even need to read! -- that will give you a better feel than anything which could be written on this forum:

https://roonlabs.com/features

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,080
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Thu, Feb 4 2021 5:26 PM

The big Roon 1.8 update next week is supposed to be much nicer for classical music from I read.

Might be of interest to you good self

(feel free of course to disregard my musings!)

seethroughyou:
No Deezer but otherwise great.

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,080
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Thu, Feb 4 2021 5:35 PM

One final parting shot.....

For those who stream casually from their hone using a streaming service to the odd Beosound / Play speaker here and there, I would say Roon is far from essential.

Now that I have a set of 50s, bought primarily to get more out of music than my previous 18s, and to spend more time listening to music,  Roon was essential for me and has been superb for discovery and rediscovery.  I have inserted a pretty decent (Roon Ready) streamer / DAC to feed the 90s, as an optional extra.  My Roon server (the Roon Nucleus) could have fed the 50s w/o the need foe the streamer / DAC, but then that's just me. 

So Roon can be used a simple or more involved setups.

After while it comes with a cost,  its not as if the Moment was cheap - and that was not a great experience being just a limited jukebox. 

So, if you're frustrated at your music experience using the services native apps or the B&O app, I'd investigate Roon.

If you're not, then I'd carry on as before.

steve1977:
It seems many of b&o fans are using roon.

I’m a bit less clear how it actually works alongside of b&o products and what gets people excited about it?

It’s a proprietary protocol, so the b&o app cannot access the roon server over dlna?

mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
Posts 1,956
Gold Member
mbolo01 replied on Thu, Feb 4 2021 7:42 PM
Sandyb:

So, if you're frustrated at your music experience using the services native apps or the B&O app, I'd investigate Roon.

Or look at other alternative such Plex which also brings what the Moment was intended to provide and much much more. Plexamp became my main music source to dig my 59k tracks library and expose it with unlimited angles

BS Moment, BS Core, BG 4002, BC 4500, BS1, BL18, BL19, BL8000 + RCV1, A6, M5, M3, A1, P6 (tks Botty), H5, TR1

The Beonic Man
Top 150 Contributor
Bristol
Posts 794
Gold Member

Another fan of Plex here Thumbs Up

BV11-46, BV8-32, V1-32, BS2, P6, A1, H95, E8, BR1, Beo4, Essence

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,080
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Thu, Feb 4 2021 9:36 PM

mbolo01:
Sandyb:

of course yes - I've heard good things about using Plex and Plexamp both.

Its been a while since I played with Plex - it doesn't need to run on a computer or something somewhere no?

While that is true of Roon too, Roon do sell the Nucleus, which is a headless unit which maintains an updates itself pretty much.

Or look at other alternative such Plex which also brings what the Moment was intended to provide and much much more. Plexamp became my main music source to dig my 59k tracks library and expose it with unlimited angles

mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
Posts 1,956
Gold Member
mbolo01 replied on Thu, Feb 4 2021 10:26 PM
Sandyb:

Its been a while since I played with Plex - it doesn't need to run on a computer or something somewhere no?

Like other similar tools, PLEX needs a repository for the music library (Plex also manages photo an video libraries, as well as external sources such Tidal, live TV, etc)

It can be a PC, Mac or like in my case a scalable NAS due to the size of my library, as well as for the security it provides (RAID disk, hot swapable disks). Note that the Roon Nucleus solution may be easier to setup for non tech users.

BS Moment, BS Core, BG 4002, BC 4500, BS1, BL18, BL19, BL8000 + RCV1, A6, M5, M3, A1, P6 (tks Botty), H5, TR1

steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 903
Bronze Member
steve1977 replied on Fri, Feb 5 2021 12:40 AM
Thanks for all your helpful replies. Confirms that roon may be a great solution to pursue.

Re plex - i’m a heavy plex user for over a decade, but it just doesn’t cut it for me for local music. It’s not priority for the developer and local music support is buggy. It doesn’t pick up local artist art. Picking up album art from embedded cover is flakey at best. There are numerous threats on their forum for years, but no fix at sight. Video in plex on the other hand is outstanding and cannot think of anything better.

So, i’m basically looking for a “plex for music”. I hoped the moment could be it, but i don’t think i hage to say more... Was also looking for a good dlna solution, but couldn’t find a good server solution and more importantly there is not a single dlna client that meets my UI expectations. I’m looking for same UI quality like plex or plexamp. And there is just nothing.

Which brought me to roon. I’m indeed a bit annoyed that it costs usd 600 for lifetime (plex’ 100-ish are more reasonable). but maybe that’s what it takes and i should give it a go?

I wouldn’t want to use a roon ready device to connect beolab/beosound as i’m “allergic” to more cables... If i read this threat right, i could use the roon app though to stream to b&o via airplay-2 (multi-room) or via dlna (which i can then distribute to other speakers via b&o app or the halo). So, this could be a use case. When using dlna, i’d even get the album covers on b&o devices. So, the roon could be the client/server to stream via dlna or ap2 to b&o devices.

I don’t play to combine with streaming services, so would limit to local music.

Given the usd 600 price tag, could you think of any other solution providing same / similar service? Or just close my eyes and pay it? ;)

trackbeo
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 585
Bronze Member

Actually it's $700 (699).  But don't just close your eyes and pay, rent it for a year ($120) first.  If you really really really like it, then it cost you $820 for the lifetime lease instead of 700, big deal.  If you're buying B&O, even used, $120 gets you... what? A fresh Kvadrat cover for your A6?

The only reason I didn't spring for the so-called "lifetime" subscription when they were $500 a couple years back, was that even if you only use your local library, the entire system won't start up if it has been more than a month without an internet connection to their servers.  That AllMusic data comes with a license to Roon, so even if the data you have downloaded is unchanged, you don't get to keep it on your own Roon server forever.  They claimed that if they were to go out of business, they would throw a switch to allow use of all the technical & play features without the music magazine & MOTS features, on your local library.  I didn't believe them.  Of course they have stayed in business for more than 4 years (at that price) so it's moot.  Nevertheless I like my ancient iTunes Mac, that just sits there and works.

If you're still on the fence, have a look at the Darko.audio video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dva4LOr7Fnk) where he hooks up a 27" touch screen to a Windows computer to use Roon.  He's a technical lightweight, but his demo is fun.

BeoFrederic
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 228
Bronze Member
steve1977:

I wouldn’t want to use a roon ready device to connect beolab/beosound as i’m “allergic” to more cables... If i read this threat right, i could use the roon app though to stream to b&o via airplay-2 (multi-room) or via dlna (which i can then distribute to other speakers via b&o app or the halo).

Careful - I don’t believe that Roon supports Airplay 2, just original AP. I’m not a Roon user, so someone else on this thread should confirm.

Open question as to whether your use case requires AP2....
Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,474
Bronze Member
Carolpa replied on Fri, Feb 5 2021 5:29 AM

Audirvana is a real good alternative to Roon.

+It has the same audio quality

+It is really easy to UPnP/DLNA stream to one B&o device and

+use B&o own multiroom to extend your music

+it also intergrates Tidal/Qobus

+it is much, much cheaper

+Tag info on BS35/Halo/B&o apps

-for Audirvana: the artist/album/track/genre information provided in Roon is extraordenary, but it comes with a price.

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,474
Bronze Member
Carolpa replied on Fri, Feb 5 2021 5:35 AM

Ulrike:
Even my BS2, which now runs via RAAT instead of Chromecast, gives me more pleasure now in terms of sound.
\Since when does B&o supports RAAT? Interesting!

I searched on Roon's site but I can't find a partnership? Please elaborate.

trackbeo
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 585
Bronze Member

BeoFrederic:
Careful - I don’t believe that Roon supports Airplay 2, just original AP.  Open question as to whether your use case requires AP2....
I believe that's correct because they had to reverse engineer AirPlay(1) as a sender of sound, using the open source hack reverse-engineered key for AirPlay speakers as receivers.  (Apple licenses AirPlay2 to third parties for destinations only; the sources must always be Apple equipment.)  But Roon supports the most important feature (for now) of AirPlay2: multiple speakers, in sync.  They do it with AirPlay(1) just like older (pre-AirPlay2) versions of iTunes did.  (N.B. The sync does not work across "device types", so you can only sync up all AirPlay speakers, or all Googles, or all RAAT-native endpoints.)

But: If you run Roon *on a Mac*, it supports AirPlay2 because you can tell it to send its sound to "System Output" rather than directly to a particular speaker, then use the MacOS to select AirPlay2 speaker(s).  Personally, unless you have lots of Wi-Fi dropouts or too many speakers thus want the new AirPlay2 features, I'd stick to Roon direct without MacOS System Sound, unless multi-zone sync gets messed up.  Also as of now, MacOS System Sound Output doesn't support AirPlay2 stereo pairs, but you don't need to wait for Apple to fix MacOS for that, because with Roon's built-in DSP, you can play to two AirPlay(1) zones in sync, but one of them has the trivial DSP of zero volume in the left channel and the other has zero volume in the right!  (There may be some latency issues with this hack, because the sync has to be absolutely perfect for left/right, versus multi-room where "very close" is good enough.)

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,080
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Fri, Feb 5 2021 6:28 AM

from memory I believe Ulrike has something Roon ready plugged into the BS2, hence turning it into a RAAT endpoint.

Carolpa:

Ulrike:

mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
Posts 1,956
Gold Member
mbolo01 replied on Fri, Feb 5 2021 6:34 AM
steve1977:

Re plex - i’m a heavy plex user for over a decade, but it just doesn’t cut it for me for local music. It’s not priority for the developer and local music support is buggy. It doesn’t pick up local artist art. Picking up album art from embedded cover is flakey at best. There are numerous threats on their forum for years, but no fix at sight. Video in plex on the other hand is outstanding and cannot think of anything better.

I must say I totally disagree with your findings. None of my 59k tracks are missing cover art locally managed and artist art, bio, album info, genre, type etc enriched by PLEX is very satisfactory as they source their information from the major players

Then PLEXAMP does the magic thing !

Tassos
Top 500 Contributor
Athens
Posts 273
Bronze Member
Tassos replied on Fri, Feb 5 2021 6:55 AM

Hello all,

I have been using Roon for about half a year and I am in love with it. I am not going to explain how it works and which technologies are used because it was covered from my fellow B&O lovers above.

For me if someone OWNS a fair amount of music Roon totally worth the money. You can always use the trial period which is enough to make you wonder why you haven't been using roon till now. If you see yourself more like a music collector (interested in artist bios, album reviews, getting to know the composers and their work and this kind of metadata) rather than the person who likes to listen to music then Roon is a great solution if not the greatest (at least for the time being). Furthermore someone can argue that the Roon Radio function (given that you spent some time to give some feedback to the system) is a solution similar to the pattern play of the beosound moment or the mots of the beosound 5. Myself I am using the Roon Radio function whenever I have people coming to my house and I have had a good amount of compliments about "MY" playlists (which were created on the fly from Roon Radio).

All in all I suggest that if you have like collecting music you should at least try it. The price is not cheap if you consider the specs of a roon server pc/mac. I started using a NAS and now I am running the roon server on a NUC (i5 6th generation with 8GB Ram) and it works like a charm.

Last but by no means least, it would be a very welcome addition to the B&O portfolio of products to be Roon ready. Many of their competitors are and I have found myself many times checking their Roon  ready products. Especially for products like the 90s and the 50s it would be awesome to be able to directly stream Roon to them given the audio HD capabilities of Roon and the B&O speakers.

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,080
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Fri, Feb 5 2021 7:13 AM

why not try the 14 day trial?

given you dont plan to combine local with streaming service content, Roon may be overkill for you (just my impression)

Regarding your final main paragraph : Roon will stream content (whether its local or Tidal/Qobuz) to stream to / control streams to Airplay or CC enabled B&O speakers (or any Roon ready speaker / endpoints you have).

As written elsewhere, for multiroom purposes, Roon can group Airplay speakers, and CC speakers, and Roon ready endpoints. There is no need to use the B&O app to redistribute anything. As for exposing the album covers - if I use Roon to play music on my A9 and BS2, I can't see any artwork in the B&O app, but as I'm using Roon apps for everything, it's not relevant. I'm not quite sure what your aim is here.

Sounds like you just want a good DLNA front end for your local music (correct me if I;m wrong), and I suspect Roon is overkill. Roon does give you some granular control over which artwork to use / prefer, but I'm not especially concerned with all that. The overall experience is what I pay for from Roon, whether for a few albums I'd prefer different artwork is of little importance.

Audirvana seems to get a very good press, though I have no experience myself.

steve1977:
Thanks for all your helpful replies. Confirms that roon may be a great solution to pursue.

So, i’m basically looking for a “plex for music”. I hoped the moment could be it, but i don’t think i hage to say more... Was also looking for a good dlna solution, but couldn’t find a good server solution and more importantly there is not a single dlna client that meets my UI expectations. I’m looking for same UI quality like plex or plexamp. And there is just nothing.

Which brought me to roon. I’m indeed a bit annoyed that it costs usd 600 for lifetime (plex’ 100-ish are more reasonable). but maybe that’s what it takes and i should give it a go?

I wouldn’t want to use a roon ready device to connect beolab/beosound as i’m “allergic” to more cables... If i read this threat right, i could use the roon app though to stream to b&o via airplay-2 (multi-room) or via dlna (which i can then distribute to other speakers via b&o app or the halo). So, this could be a use case. When using dlna, i’d even get the album covers on b&o devices. So, the roon could be the client/server to stream via dlna or ap2 to b&o devices.

I don’t play to combine with streaming services, so would limit to local music.

Given the usd 600 price tag, could you think of any other solution providing same / similar service? Or just close my eyes and pay it? ;)

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,100
Gold Member
chartz replied on Fri, Feb 5 2021 7:43 AM

Funny thing Roon, all over British fora, virtually not heard of outside the UK. 

I don't know anybody who has heard of it, let alone used it.

Jacques

Ulrike
Top 500 Contributor
Germany
Posts 174
Bronze Member
Ulrike replied on Fri, Feb 5 2021 7:57 AM

Carolpa:

Ulrike:

First ...

I never use airplay because of the sound quality.
https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/airplay-setup

Next ...

You can just use roon bridge for any device:
https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/roonbridge
I wrote something about it here:
https://forum.beoworld.org/forums/p/45567/329400.aspx#329400
Soundwise it's much better now. For serious listening I prefer RAAT.
https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/raat

I don't own a nucleus. I have set up an Intel NUC 8i7 BEH for Roon server, which works like a charm running Rock OS.

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,080
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Fri, Feb 5 2021 8:05 AM
chartz:

Funny thing Roon, all over British fora, virtually not heard of outside the UK.

I don't know anybody who has heard of it, let alone used it.

Jacques

It’s fairly well known in the US
jgraefe
Not Ranked
Posts 56
Bronze Member
jgraefe replied on Fri, Feb 5 2021 8:40 AM

Hi,

i'm using emby. its free and its not only for music. it supports dlna + chromecast and has its own app on every platform (AppleTV, GoogleTV, Android, iOS...).

It looks very nice...

BS9000 + BS Core + Beosystem 3 + BL8000 + BL4 + BL2 + BL7-1 // BeoVision 7 32“ + BL8000 // Beoplay M5 // Beoplay S3 // 2x BL3500 // 2x BeoPlay A6 + 2x Essence Remote // 2x BeoSound 8 // Playmaker + BL6000

steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 903
Bronze Member
steve1977 replied on Fri, Feb 5 2021 10:16 AM
Thanks for all your comments, sharing your experiences with the different solutions.

As one of you pointed out, my ideal solution would be a dlna client/server setup. However, there is no dlna client, which fits my minimum expectation on visual / ui. That’s why i even bought a Moment, which then broken from a software perspective (and shortly thereafter also the hardware)...

So, i’m looking for an alternative and seems i need to look into proprietary protocols:

* Plex - amazing for videos, but doesn’t do it for music for me. Have opened a separate thread, but my experience seems consistent with dozens of threads reporting issues on the plex forums

* Audirvana - let me look into this

* Roon - i like a lot of your replies. Maybe worth to give it a shot. Will need to find out how “touch to join” and how it plays together with the essence. The iphone app seems quite good and it seems it even allows to get multi-room from the iphone to my old beolit via ap1, which would be a welcome feature

* Volumio - this also came up and i’ll give it a try. There seems to be continued development

* Brio - also looks promising, but development may have been slower / ended?
Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,474
Bronze Member
Carolpa replied on Fri, Feb 5 2021 2:35 PM

[

Ulrike:
Interesting. But do you technical speaking enjoying RAAT or is RAAT converted to a stream accepted by B&o? I would say the latter.

oli
Top 500 Contributor
Southeast of France
Posts 129
Bronze Member
oli replied on Fri, Feb 5 2021 2:51 PM

I am using Aurdirvana for years now. Running on a Mac Mini that I remotely manage from my ipad/iphone with the Audirvana app and also my Beo4 to Play/Stop/change tracks 

I tested Roon last year and didn't see what improvement it brings over Audirvana, for my usage, neither on the sound side (Audirvana is probably even one step forward) than on the user interface, to read my local files like accessing the streaming services. So I stick to Audirvana for which the (quite cheap) license is paid for years without having to pay a regular and expensive subscription

Ulrike
Top 500 Contributor
Germany
Posts 174
Bronze Member
Ulrike replied on Fri, Feb 5 2021 3:17 PM

Carolpa:

[

Ulrike:
Interesting. But do you technical speaking enjoying RAAT or is RAAT converted to a stream accepted by B&o? I would say the latter.

RAAT (Roon Advanced Audio Transport) is Roon's own streaming protocol, which enables you to play Roon music to any Roon Ready hardware device or to devices connected to a Roon Bridge.
Roon Bridge is a software package that extends Roon's audio playback capabilities i.e. RAAT to other devices or computers, including embedded platforms like the Raspberry Pi.
The latter I have done (could have used a one-box solution like a bluesound node as well), thus the BS2 connected to the Roon Bridge is capable of playing RAAT.

steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 903
Bronze Member
Did some more research.

Roon indeed seems have quite some magic and may be exactly what i’m looking for as i’m definitely a “collector”.

One clarification: does it really support multi-room via airplay-1? So, i can play to my BS1 and then add my Beolit 12?

There seems to be some major shortcomings though (besides the price):

* B&O “touch to join” won’t work

* Tags not visible at Halo

Both seem fine with audirvana?
Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,080
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Fri, Feb 5 2021 3:41 PM

Why dont you do the free trial of Roon and see how well it works for you?

As for multi room - if you use Roon to Airplay to a BS1, you can add another Airplay B&O speaker either in Roon (by grouping them together), or you can use the B&O app to get the second speaker to join the airplay stream that the first is enjoying.  I haven't tried physically doing the Touch to Join on the second speaker, but assuming that if the B&O app can get the second speaker to join, then physical Touch to Join will also work.

When you Airplay to a B&O speaker ( I do it from Roon to my BS2 and A9), there is no album art in the B&O app. But as I'm using Roon apps, I dont care if the B&O app shows album art or not.

You get the most out of Roon if you use it for controlling / managing your music - there is no need to jump between the Roon app and the B&O app.

But again, just try out the free trial - everyone has their own specific details they care more or less about, and you're in the best position to see that when you play with it yourself in your own setup.

Its been everthing I wanted in my use case - i.e. getting away from B&O control apps for my local music, and streaming service apps for their music. Its been a joy for discovery (new stuff on Qobuz) and rediscovery of my own local collection.  But if you dont use Tidal / Qobuz, then you're paying the same fee to Roon for less utility or value added. 

steve1977:
Did some more research.

Roon indeed seems have quite some magic and may be exactly what i’m looking for as i’m definitely a “collector”.

One clarification: does it really support multi-room via airplay-1? So, i can play to my BS1 and then add my Beolit 12?

There seems to be some major shortcomings though (besides the price):

* B&O “touch to join” won’t work

* Tags not visible at Halo

Both seem fine with audirvana?

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,474
Bronze Member
Carolpa replied on Sat, Feb 6 2021 4:42 AM

Ulrike:
Carolpa:
[
Ulrike:

RAAT (Roon Advanced Audio Transport) is Roon's own streaming protocol, which enables you to play Roon music to any Roon Ready hardware device or to devices connected to a Roon Bridge.
Roon Bridge is a software package that extends Roon's audio playback capabilities i.e. RAAT to other devices or computers, including embedded platforms like the Raspberry Pi.
The latter I have done (could have used a one-box solution like a bluesound node as well), thus the BS2 connected to the Roon Bridge is capable of playing RAAT.

I did use Roon for two years (some years ago), but was not aware of Roon Bridge. I mostly agree with you about RAAT, but on the issue about extending to other devices I have another opinion.

A parallel example: B&o can not play DSF music files. So I have software in my music servers which makes it available to play on B&o. To follow your analogy B&o can play DSF, but B&o simply can't. The software converts it to a B&o eatable file.

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,474
Bronze Member
Carolpa replied on Sat, Feb 6 2021 4:54 AM

Ulrike:
Carolpa:
[
Ulrike:

I did answer!

But for some reason, the answer had to be moderated.

@Moderators: could you make a post which explains what triggers "moderation". I can imaging using specific words do, but sometimes it seems at  random.

steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 903
Bronze Member
steve1977 replied on Sat, Feb 6 2021 10:30 AM
I signed up for the roon trial.

Fully understood now why people love roon. UI is clean and it just works. Really nice! 700 is not cheap, but may indeed well worth for a clean nice local audio solution.

There are two things that didn’t work at first, but i’ll keep trying:

* Multi-room over AP is out of sync. Need to check the B&O settings

* Artist displays all artists rather than albumartists. That makes it very messy...

* Dlna doesn’t seem supported
Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,080
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Sat, Feb 6 2021 12:23 PM
Your local music is supported- set up your Roon Core (server) software to look at your library.

Let Roon do it’s thing with your library, and the difference that is the DLNA protocol is irrelevant

Roon has a big software update next week, but I don’t think it changes the look and feel in it huge way

Enjoy
Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,080
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Sat, Feb 6 2021 7:40 PM
Both my Airplay speakers (BS2 and A9) are in sync using Roon.

One is hardwired, the other is wireless, as an FYI
steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 903
Bronze Member
steve1977 replied on Sat, Feb 6 2021 11:58 PM
I think i can get them in sync.

Did you find any way that the artist view only show albumartists? Otherwise, the view is totally cluttered with all kind of random artists that are featured on some album.
Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,080
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Sun, Feb 7 2021 4:46 AM

I haven't played around with the Library Settings myself, others may have.

My artist view is pretty clean - yes something like Prince appears 3 times (Prince, Prince and the Revolution, `and Prince & the NPG), of thats what you ar referring to.  There are a bunch of settings as I say, or search the Roon Community for help.  

Anyway my library looks clean enough, if I select Artist. It doesn't look as if its cluttered with artists who make the odd appearance on an album.

Under Artists, I usually then click one of the other filters (Focus, Favourites), so its pretty quick to get tp what I want.

Focus is about to become a good deal more powerful in the update coming this week.

Page 1 of 3 (97 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL