Stains on BL18 foot

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Marcello
Top 500 Contributor
210 Posts
Bronze Member
Marcello posted on Sat, Jan 23 2021 2:06 PM

Today I noticed some stains on the foot of one of our four BL18.

I have no idea what they are as nothing was spilled on them. The dealer saw the pictures and said it might be humidity, but it is impossible (the floor is ok, the other speakers are ok, the wood on the speaker is ok)... possible solutions presented: black matte spray or replace the feet.

Does anybody have a better idea or know how this could happen?

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Ravsted
Top 500 Contributor
167 Posts
Bronze Member
Verified by Marcello

Water with a small amount of soap.

Gently brush with old soft toothbrush.

Looks like moisture. I believe they are made of cast iron and moisture will more likely condensate on that (cold) surface.

Has the edge of the aluminium touching the cast iron feed also started to corrode? Looks a bit like that on the first picture.

All Replies

Beosince98
Top 500 Contributor
248 Posts
Silver Member
This may be the most obvious fist step and I think you have probably tried it already: Cleaning with rubbing alcohol. You could also try different cleaning products. It would really be a surprise if you could not remove the stains by cleaning. If they do persist however, I would probably just use some black marker and paint over the spots, not the perfect solution, but the cheapest.
Marcello
Top 500 Contributor
210 Posts
Bronze Member

Beosince98:
This may be the most obvious fist step and I think you have probably tried it already: Cleaning with rubbing alcohol. You could also try different cleaning products. It would really be a surprise if you could not remove the stains by cleaning. If they do persist however, I would probably just use some black marker and paint over the spots, not the perfect solution, but the cheapest.

My wife tried first with alcohol, no success. I will try other solutions and report back. If it does not work I will spray some black paint on it.

However, I have to admit that I am more curious about how they got there...

Ravsted
Top 500 Contributor
167 Posts
Bronze Member
Verified by Marcello

Looks like moisture. I believe they are made of cast iron and moisture will more likely condensate on that (cold) surface.

Has the edge of the aluminium touching the cast iron feed also started to corrode? Looks a bit like that on the first picture.

The Beonic Man
Top 150 Contributor
Bristol
765 Posts
Bronze Member

The Pink Stuff cleaning product is worth a try as that stuff is brilliant. There's nothing it hasn't cleaned perfectly for me in lots of uses.

BV11-46, BV8-32, V1-32, BS2, P6, A1, H95, E8, BR1, Beo4, Essence

Marcello
Top 500 Contributor
210 Posts
Bronze Member
Marcello replied on Sat, Jan 23 2021 10:58 PM

Ravsted:

No it’s not corrosion. It’s actually a thin bit of plastic that comes out from the hole for half its diameter.. No idea what it is, it’s the same on all the other speakers. I will unscrew them tomorrow and check. So strange to have moisture here though. I will swap the speakers to see if it’s this particular corner of the room. 

Marcello
Top 500 Contributor
210 Posts
Bronze Member
Marcello replied on Sat, Jan 23 2021 10:58 PM

Ravsted:

No it’s not corrosion. It’s actually a thin bit of plastic that comes out from the hole for half its diameter.. No idea what it is, it’s the same on all the other speakers. I will unscrew them tomorrow and check. So strange to have moisture here though. I will swap the speakers to see if it’s this particular corner of the room. 

crossbytje
Top 500 Contributor
206 Posts
Bronze Member

Did you have a plant in its vicinity? Sometimes they leak drops through their leaves..

Beolit 12 - Beolab 4 pc (dead now) - Beoplay H5 - Beolab 9 - BeoRemote One BT - Beoplay M3

Marcello
Top 500 Contributor
210 Posts
Bronze Member

Ravsted:

Thanks for the tip, the most obvious and easiest solution are the best. Some Dove liquid soap took care of it!

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL