rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Andrew
Top 100 Contributor
Frinton, UK
874 Posts
Bronze Member
Andrew posted on Tue, Jan 19 2021 2:33 PM

I have a Beocom 6000 Mk1 with the pyramid base station and a couple of Mk2 handsets - I read that DECT phones give off a lot of EMF and that they can be dangerous. I was planning on putting the station out in my hobby room which is not part of the house and an extension in the kitchen

Does anyone know if they do give off EMF when not being used and I am assuming it is likely to the base station that gives off the most so it should be safe away from the house?

Or am I worrying unnecessarily - the problem has been that I have had a ringing noise in my ears and switching off the wifi at night seemed to help as did unplugging the Beocom 6000 - but not sure if that is just that I am thinking it is them or if they do actually give out some signal.

All Replies

Stan
Top 150 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
769 Posts
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Tue, Jan 19 2021 6:30 PM

Not an expert on these phones, but I did spend 10 years of my life developing software for public safety radio systems.  I can't think of any reason why the Becom base station would communicate with the phones when the phones are not in use.  Unlike a cell phone where the mothership needs to know which site it is connected to, the Becoms don't have multiple base stations so I can't see the point of any off-line handshaking.

Andrew
Top 100 Contributor
Frinton, UK
874 Posts
Bronze Member
Andrew replied on Wed, Jan 20 2021 9:49 AM

Thanks Stan - in the articles I've read and on YouTube there seems to be an opinion that these are on all the time and communicating with each other 24/7 - I agree with you as I can't see why it would be transmitting unless it needs too - I've ordered an EMF meter to put my mind at rest and will let you know what the results are.

I'm quite interested as I practice Amateur Radio and this started when I had really bad interference which turned out to be caused by an LED lightbulb in my hallway - quite a way from the Radio room.

Andrew
Top 100 Contributor
Frinton, UK
874 Posts
Bronze Member
Andrew replied on Wed, Jan 20 2021 9:49 AM

Thanks Stan - in the articles I've read and on YouTube there seems to be an opinion that these are on all the time and communicating with each other 24/7 - I agree with you as I can't see why it would be transmitting unless it needs too - I've ordered an EMF meter to put my mind at rest and will let you know what the results are.

I'm quite interested as I practice Amateur Radio and this started when I had really bad interference which turned out to be caused by an LED lightbulb in my hallway - quite a way from the Radio room.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL