Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Bo Xamuel
Not Ranked
Denmark
27 Posts
Bronze Member
Bo Xamuel posted on Tue, Jan 19 2021 10:02 AM

Hello fellow BeoHeads Big Smile

I am sure someone must have asked this question before!

I tried searching through the forum topics, but it seemed hard to find what I was looking for.

So far I have 7 Beo4 remote controls, and at least 3 different models, with different buttons and slightly different designs.

Can any one tell me how to determine which versions I got? How can you tell if it's MkI, MkII, MkIII etc.?

And just how many different models are there?

/ Bo Xamuel

All Replies

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
2,187 Posts
Gold Member
Guy replied on Tue, Jan 19 2021 1:15 PM

L to R

Here's my guess, but AFAIK they don't really have 'Mk' numbers and the bit in brackets is how most on the forum refer to them!

Mk1 (AV version?), Mk2 (DVD version?), Mk3 (DTV version?), Mk4 (V.AUX version?), Mk5 (Toggle Version?)

(Plus Hotel versions with funny buttons for eg AirCon etc)

Bo Xamuel
Not Ranked
Denmark
27 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi, Guy!

Fantastic! Thanks a lot! You've been a great help.

Seems I got them all, except my "toggle-edition" is with the same small Bang & Olufsen name on it as the other ones. Not with the bigger B&O logo.

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
2,187 Posts
Gold Member
Guy replied on Tue, Jan 19 2021 2:12 PM

Yes I think that I have a toggle version somewhere with the smaller logo.  I suppose it could be a modified earlier version, because B&O did sell modification kits consisting of a new PCB and keypad that you could install into an older case.

There is also a rare CINEMA version with buttons that light up - I don't have one of those.

Here's one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bang-Olufsen-B-O-Beo4-Cinema-Limited-to-500-Units-with-Illuminated-Screen/303839764853?hash=item46be42e175:g:IQcAAOSwWZlfqSt-

Keith Saunders
Top 25 Contributor
Little Ann, Hampshire, United Kingdom
5,367 Posts
Founder

As Guy has stated there are no formal mark numbers, but there are software versions and EEPROM versions which provide information about what is supported.

The following data can be obtained from the BEO4:-

1. The Software Version displayed SW:x.x
  2. EEPROM Version displayed EE:x.x
  3. The number of times keys have been pressed x 100 in HEX (Number to the power of 16) displayed A:xxxxH
  4. The number of times the UP key has been pressed x 100 in HEX displayed BxxxxH
  5. The number of times the Volume up key has been pressed x 100 in HEX displayed CxxxxH
  6. The number of times the LIST key has been pressed x 100 in HEX displayed DxxxxH
  7. Current contrast adjustment. Two digits in the range 00 to 15. You can enter a number to change contrast 3 is default
  8. Other items including serial number depending on software version.
To read the above data:-
  • Press STANDBY and LIST at the same time
  • Press the UP key until OPTIONS? appears
  • Press MENU and GO at the same time
The EE version will be displayed first. Press the LIST key to move down the list of items listed above..

When you get to contrast displayed as CONT:03 you can enter a different number and then press GO to change contrast.

Regards Keith....

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
2,187 Posts
Gold Member
Guy replied on Tue, Jan 19 2021 3:01 PM

And on the 'Toggle' version you can adjust the IR power.

Access the service menu by pressing stby + LIST at the same time, and then MENU + (joystick) at the same time. Press ^ several times until the display reads IRPWR: X. Again, 1 is the lowest and 7 is the max IR signal strength (default is 4).

Bo Xamuel
Not Ranked
Denmark
27 Posts
Bronze Member

Cool!

Never saw or heard of this version before. Always wished the Beo4 had an illuminated display though!

Didn't know about the modification kits being sold either.

Thanks, again for "illuminating" me!

Bo Xamuel
Not Ranked
Denmark
27 Posts
Bronze Member

Great. Thanks! 

I need to try that...

Bo Xamuel
Not Ranked
Denmark
27 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks!

This is great stuff to know, and all news to me.

I'll be looking into all this for sure.

Regards

Bo Xamuel

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL