rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 10 Replies | 0 Followers

Stan
Top 150 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
765 Posts
Bronze Member
Stan posted on Fri, Jan 15 2021 8:43 PM

I have a BL3500 mounted high on a wall (over some cabinets) in my kitchen.  As more and more of my house moves to newer equipment, the idea has crossed my mind that maybe a Stage could replace the BL3500.  Most music for the kitchen is currently played from a Chromecast Audio -> BS9000 -> BL3500, and I've found the whole setup to be a bit fiddly.  The Chromecast is a bit flakey.  Need to find the Beo4, remember a.tape vs. a.mem, etc.  Not a big issue for me, but my wife has never really caught on.

My main questions are:

1) Is the Stage a proper NL device so I could send audio from my Eclipse to it, similar to a Bs2 or Essence? 

2) Could there potentially be sound quality issues with being mounted close to the ceiling.  Not sure about how the Atmos stuff might come into play.  The BL3500 is currently mounted  ~6 in from the ceiling and ~8 ft from the floor.  Granted, it's in the kitchen so the sound doesn't have to be outstanding.  I don't want an M3, M5, BS1 or BS2 because counter space is at a premium.

All Replies

petermc
Top 500 Contributor
Australia
115 Posts
Founder
petermc replied on Fri, Jan 15 2021 10:33 PM
Another option might be a BeoSound 35. We replaced our kitchen BL 3500 with the 35 and it is brilliant. Sounds much better. Also can control it with a Beo4 which is a bonus. We picked ours up for roughly a quarter of the original retail price. I know it’s discontinued but you might be able to source one. If you go this route make sure you get the high wall mount so the 35 is angled down.

Another thing to consider is what streaming services you use and how you use it. If you use Spotify Connect I don’t think the Stage has this so you can’t Multiroom it. You can probably get around this by using Airplay or Chromecast.
beolion
Top 200 Contributor
456 Posts
Gold Member
beolion replied on Fri, Jan 15 2021 11:58 PM
Agree. I would also go for the BS35.

It is a nice piece with a good sound.

RRP was just too high (as so often seen) so I think it was never a great success.

But it definitely had the potential.
Stan
Top 150 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
765 Posts
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Sat, Jan 16 2021 1:32 PM

The BS35 definitely makes more sense (supporting a remote control, 2nd hand pricing, not paying for unused surround sound capabilities), but I have rarely seen them for sale in the US.  I suppose I'm not in a hurry so I can patiently wait for one to show up somewhere for sale.

Update:  Internet sellers seem to feel it is a rare and desirable piece.  The only 2 I found are both more expensive than a Stage. Must be all that aluminum.

Brian
Top 500 Contributor
London/Aarhus
204 Posts
Bronze Member
Brian replied on Sat, Jan 16 2021 4:21 PM

I have a spare BS35 if you’re interested Stan. Barely been used, as new condition. 

Brian
Top 500 Contributor
London/Aarhus
204 Posts
Bronze Member
Brian replied on Sat, Jan 16 2021 4:21 PM

I have a spare BS35 if you’re interested Stan. Barely been used, as new condition. 

Stan
Top 150 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
765 Posts
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Sat, Jan 16 2021 6:10 PM

I think you're located on the wrong continent Sad.  Not sure if this will work given shipping, customs and voltage differences (maybe the BS35 is new enough to be a single 120/240 volt model?).

petermc
Top 500 Contributor
Australia
115 Posts
Founder
petermc replied on Sat, Jan 16 2021 11:09 PM
Try a dealer too. They may have one in stock.

We got our BS35’s from a dealer; all at the discounted price. Have one in the kitchen and one in bathroom. Were cheaper than a Core.
Stan
Top 150 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
765 Posts
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Sat, Jan 23 2021 1:01 AM

Can anyone compare the BS35 to the BS2 soundwise?  I've located one, but am still a bit on the fence about it vs the Stage. I never paid much attention to the BS35 when it was at the dealer because I was happy with my bs3500.  I know the bs35 will be an improvement over the 3500, but how much? I have a bs2 so if anyone has both and can compare/contrast, I'd be grateful. 

Brian
Top 500 Contributor
London/Aarhus
204 Posts
Bronze Member
Brian replied on Sat, Jan 23 2021 3:06 PM

I have both BS2 and several BS35. I prefer the soundstage that the 35 gives. Don’t think the BS2 can compete at all. 

Stan
Top 150 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
765 Posts
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Sun, Jan 24 2021 2:11 AM

Thanks.   This is exactly the type of information I am looking for.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL