Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

Just acquired my first Beogram! An 8002!

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Gregg Fautley
Not Ranked
Northern California
8 Posts
Silver Member
Gregg Fautley posted on Wed, Jan 13 2021 9:39 PM

Hi all!  First post here.  Thanks for the speedy approval.

I have many turntables in various stages of play-readiness.  I spent a long time trying to eliminate motor noise from a Thorens TD-124 (not completed), which was my most involved TT project.  Most of my turntables have been acquired second-hand, and NOT from audio shops.  Which brings me to my latest purchase (at a Goodwill store, no less): A Beogram 8002 w/o a cartridge.  At $50, I could not pass it up.  My testing so far has only been to plug it in, seeing that the platter spins, the speed lights up, and the arm moves across its path.  The aluminum hatch has predictably come un-adhered.  Cosmetically it looks fine.

In looking for cartridges that work with the 8002, I was surprised at the cost of them.  I mean, I know there are some cartridges that retail in the thousands (and up and up), but with the 8002, my choices are limited.

I found a local seller with a "seller-refurbished" Beogram TX-2 type 5913, fitted with an MMC3, apparently with low-hour use.  I am considering purchasing it, using the MMC3 on my 8002, then selling the TX-2 w/o cartridge.  This, of course, would be dependent on the MMC3 and TX-2 being in good condition.  And. of course, I don't really know the condition of the 8002.  So, many leaps of faith for this to work.

I have several possible ways to go here, and several ways to deal with various things that could go wrong.

I need to have someone familiar with B&O to determine what restoration might be needed on the 8002.  I am in the SF Bay Area, so any suggestions would be appreciated.  I need help determining the health and life left on the MMC3.  I guess the worst case with the cartridge is that it would have to be rebuilt.  Suggestions on where to have this done are appreciated as well.

And lastly, I'd like advice on what to look for/at in determining whether the TX-2/MMC3 would be a good purchase.  If not, I'll be on the lookout for a good cartridge and a Beogram tune-up/set-up tech.

Thanks for having me!

Gregg

All Replies

Robert
Top 500 Contributor
Holland
180 Posts
Bronze Member
Robert replied on Thu, Jan 14 2021 1:38 PM

Welcome Gregg,

Great finding the BeoGram 8002.
Sound test the MMC3 at the TX-2 seller, bring your own LP.

For parts see here this Danish webshop:
https://www.beoparts-shop.com/product-category/beogram/beogram-8002/

Here some retip and improvement companies:

USA:
For USA check Soundsmith in Peekskill, NY 10566 ( smmc is what they renamed mmc )
https://www.sound-smith.com/cartridges/bo/smmc3

Germany:
https://www.tonabnehmerservice.de/en/home/

Denmark:
Contact Hans Henrik by e-mail adress: pickupservice@outlook.dk

Do not buy new old stock cartridge MMC, they all are old inside and have silly prices. The square alu platter around the table is simply glued with double sided tape, so that needs probably new tape and the alu cover that can be lifted at the right side is glued also and needs attention after many years.
The 7 PIN DIN connector at the rear has control functions when connected to a receiver named BeoMaster. (called datalink, with play, stop etc. functions. By the 2 pins more than 5 pin DIN)

Keep us involved here in your progress with the BeoGram 8002 (a magical turntable in my opinion)

Regards, Robert

Gregg Fautley
Not Ranked
Northern California
8 Posts
Silver Member

Robert, I thank you so much for your welcome, and for your great information and tips!  So, the MMC3 might be a good candidate for a rebuild?  Generally, might that save me some money versus a new Soundsmith cartridge?

Cheers!

Gregg

EDIT:  I see https:/Tonabnehmerservice.de offers some interesting options, as well.  I'm glad there are several choices!  The seller of the TX-2 w/MMC3 wants $200.  I need to scratch my head and sharpen my pencil...Wink

Robert
Top 500 Contributor
Holland
180 Posts
Bronze Member
Robert replied on Fri, Jan 15 2021 4:44 PM

When I browse Soundsmith website specifically the MMC3 possibilities are very limited. At others you have better prices and solutions.
The thing is, what is the MMC condition you bring?. For example a good suspension no defective channel(s), needle straight and present. All that makes difference. Do a good test at the TX2 seller. (bring your own stereo….)

A good performing MMC3 on that TX2, than the total price is very good value. (depending on TX2 optical and mechanical condition)

Regards, Robert

Gregg Fautley
Not Ranked
Northern California
8 Posts
Silver Member

Robert, here's the best image I have from the seller showing the MMC3.  It appears the cantilever is at least present, and appears not to be bent.  So far so good...I'm glad it's local!

Would a 10x loupe be adequate for an in-the-field visual assessment of the stylus?

Robert
Top 500 Contributor
Holland
180 Posts
Bronze Member
Robert replied on Sun, Jan 17 2021 2:57 PM

Yes with the 10x loupe you can perform the needle tip wear visual assessment. Seems to be a good start to visit the seller, don't wait to long. Test the sound at the seller. After deal done lock the mechanism for transport

Gregg Fautley
Not Ranked
Northern California
8 Posts
Silver Member

Unfortunately, that sale for the TX-2 fell through.  I do have a couple other friends looking through their "stash."  Regardless, the info received here is invaluable.  I carry on!

Gregg

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL