LG Compatibility

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 46 Replies | 0 Followers

graham60
Not Ranked
66 Posts
Bronze Member
graham60 posted on Wed, Jan 13 2021 8:58 PM

I have a Beo4 50" Plasma with Beolab 7.2 and Beo3 +DVBT Module  and use the Beo5 remote, I also have a Humax Freesat and a DVD2 + 8000 & 6000 Speakers 

I am "thinking" of upgrading the TV but how is it possible with the limited options on offer from B&O, firstly  I am limited to size 55-60" would be a max as the TV sits in a recess and is mounted on a BV4 50 remote wall bracket,

My second problem is price ! like what is an LG/B&O really worth compared to getting an LG ?

So what I am asking is what would be the best Screen and Sound Bar upgrade to go with, fit in with and be compatible with my system

All Replies

Top 150 Contributor
521 Posts
Bronze Member
1990 replied on Wed, Jan 13 2021 9:13 PM

Of you have the BeoSystem 3, you can swap the plasma screen for a new LG OLED. You just need to get access to some custom PUC-codes that are available through some very pro forum members. Small investment for a huge upgrade!

graham60
Not Ranked
66 Posts
Bronze Member

My biggest problem is I'm not very technical when it comes to setting these things up, it's like you need a degree just to understand the manuals, what are PUC Codes ?

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
14,494 Posts
Bronze Member

graham60:

My biggest problem is I'm not very technical when it comes to setting these things up, it's like you need a degree just to understand the manuals, what are PUC Codes ?

In that case you will have to invest some efford in learning howto - because it is not that easy for someone ‘not very technical’, someone not familiar with how B&O works.

If you want to start that jouney, you could start with the PUC codes.

These are explained in this video: https://youtu.be/5uyNZ0KL5Wk

However, on an older system like yours these will have to be installed by a B&O technician - with the newer you can download the codes directly as showed there.

Another way to go, would be to ask someone to do the job.....and most likely pay for it.

I assume that you payed someone to set up your recent tv etc back then, since that is not a simple setup either!

You can find lots of instruction, hints here on the forum - there are some beoworlders who have exchainged their old screen with a newer non B&O tv.

Imo, it would definitely be worth it to keep the bigger part of your current setup - there is no non-B&O soundbar that would come near your speaker setup as is.

As for, Is it worth it to invest in a (modern) LG/B&O combination - my only answer will be: yes!
This way you can get a setup, that is a troublefree.
There would be no needs for you to ‘understand’ PUC or for a ‘degree’ of any kind.....B&O already worked that out for you.
That is (part of) what you pay the higher price for.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

frog
Top 150 Contributor
Camberley UK
596 Posts
Founder
frog replied on Thu, Jan 14 2021 8:01 PM

As you already have the beosystem 3 and are controlling the STBs already, you don't need to change anything there. With regard to just swapping the TV, you can do this by disconnecting the DVI connector on the TV and putting a DVI to HDMI converter on it.

Unfortunately, with that setup, you'll have to switch the TV on and off with the LG remote - there is a way to do this, but it is quite technical, requiring a raspberry Pi and some special wiring to simulate the on/off commands from the Beosystem 3 over the serial port.

If you are happy enough with that, you may be able to program the bed 5 to switch on the tv - or get someone to help.

no need to change any of the speakers - that's a great setup as it is.

As for screens, get whatever size you want - OLED if you can afford it. The Beosystem 3 outputs in HD but the TV will upscale to 4K.

graham60
Not Ranked
66 Posts
Bronze Member
graham60 replied on Fri, Jan 15 2021 12:12 AM

That's brilliant news because B&O don't seem to bother about leaving their old customers behind and I've been with them now for 35yrs and started with the Beosystem 6000 & Red line 60 speakers and the rest is history.

I was looking at the B&O TV with the built in sound bar but what use would that be to me as you can't plug anything into it and the rest they offer are too big and cost a fortune.

So on that note I really do appreciate what you have said and I would definitely go for the LG OLED, 

Thanks

frog
Top 150 Contributor
Camberley UK
596 Posts
Founder
frog replied on Sat, Jan 16 2021 4:30 PM

Don't forget, before disconnecting the beovision 4, to set the beosystem 3 monitor to non-b&O tv. It'll save you hassle later.

graham60
Not Ranked
66 Posts
Bronze Member

just been looking at the B&O Eclipse 55", is there anything to justify the price tag, is it an LG OLED 55" TV or am I missing something, it's like £7k without  the speaker cover (Aluminium £900),  I have come up with a plan if I could get some help ! and that is get a Beovision 50" Screen surround, a top of the range 50" OLED Screen TV, put them together and mount to my BV4 Motorised Wall Bracket, get it all up and running from my Beo 5 ? and hey presto job done and it all fits in place with the Beosound 7.2  as if nothing has changed, except the picture quality 

A guy on ebay says they have the Beovision 4 50" surrounds in stock so it would be a matter of say finding a 50" LG OLED with a border/frame of more than 1" above the 50" screen size as the inner measurement of the Beo Screen Suround is 52" Diagnal,, also the screen ratio would need to be the same as the Beo surround 

I'm *** with the technical but I'm good at making things 

ANY IDEAS !!!

Emil Jensen
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
750 Posts
Bronze Member

Hallo Graham,

50" Oled do not exist,

And the Eclipse i definitely worth the money IMO.

Beovision Harmony 77" 2nd Gen, Beolab 5, Beolab 17, Beosound 1, Beoplay M3, Beoplay H6, Beoplay Earset, Beoliving Intelligence 

355f
Top 500 Contributor
cambridge/london
116 Posts
Bronze Member
355f replied on Mon, Jan 18 2021 10:08 AM

I went through this dilema some time ago, in the end  decided to sell for the following reasons.

Beo system 3 cant do 4K and it 'processing abilities did nothing to improve the picture , secondly , the iggest difference is in sound from beosystem 4bases systems- that was the biggest surprise to me

Thirdly, maybe you love the frame of the BV4 but why take a slim OLED panel and put it in a product that is super large and cumbersome by todays standards

graham60
Not Ranked
66 Posts
Bronze Member
graham60 replied on Mon, Jan 18 2021 11:33 AM

Correct ! just been looking and no they don't exist, I have also looked at the LG OLED 55" and I cant see the difference to the Eclipse, what am I missing that justifies the £8,000 price tag, even if you remove the speaker cover (£950) it leaves £7,000, is there something other than the TV & Speaker ?

graham60
Not Ranked
66 Posts
Bronze Member
graham60 replied on Mon, Jan 18 2021 11:38 AM

Correct ! I have just been looking and there are no 50"

How do B&O justify the £8000 price tag ?

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
3,936 Posts
Founder

graham60:

This is the reason why you should go the Eclipse/Harmony-way  

No hassle with special cables, converters, codes, but maintaining your current (surround)speakers.

The easiness setting it up, the flawless 2 way communication between the BR1BT and tv, where settings, presets, sources are programmed in your BR1 backwards from the Eclipse/Harmony. The speed the “LG” responds to any instruction is very satisfying.

Emil Jensen
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
750 Posts
Bronze Member

graham60:

Correct ! just been looking and no they don't exist, I have also looked at the LG OLED 55" and I cant see the difference to the Eclipse, what am I missing that justifies the £8,000 price tag, even if you remove the speaker cover (£950) it leaves £7,000, is there something other than the TV & Speaker ?

Hallo Graham,

So there is a big center speaker, which is worth a lot.

Then there is a Beosystem 4 integrated which is also worth a lot.

Then there is a Beoremote one, and the possible to use it, which is very important IMO.

Then you get the possibility for Motor stand, or wall mount.

And IMO you get a much nicer and cleaner look with the Eclipse, than you would with a different solution.

It is a Standard LG GX OLED that is on top.

Beovision Harmony 77" 2nd Gen, Beolab 5, Beolab 17, Beosound 1, Beoplay M3, Beoplay H6, Beoplay Earset, Beoliving Intelligence 

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
11,726 Posts
Bronze Member

It does not include a beosystem 4 - this had a b&o video engine built in!

Ban boring signatures!

Page 1 of 4 (47 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL