Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

New LG Panels 2021 for Harmony, Eclipse and Contour

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 59 Replies | 1 Follower

Emil Jensen
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
715 Posts
Bronze Member
Emil Jensen posted on Mon, Jan 11 2021 3:22 PM

Flatpanels

New television now shown at CES,

The G line is now called G1, and come in the same sizes 55/65/77"

It comes with a new brighter EVO panel, for HDR content

The C1 line now comes in a 83" also but nothing new in the panel, only a bit better processor.

So not much new other than the brighter panel, and that is seems that the design is the same, so B&O do not need to change the Harmony, Eclipse and Contour to fit the new panels. 

Beovision Harmony 77" 2nd Gen, Beolab 5, Beolab 17, Beosound 1, Beoplay M3, Beoplay H6, Beoplay Earset, Beoliving Intelligence 

All Replies

mbee
Top 75 Contributor
Paris, France
1,809 Posts
Bronze Member
mbee replied on Mon, Jan 11 2021 3:51 PM

With the new panels also comes WebOS 6, which now has a full screen home menu "alowing more space for sponsorised content". As I'm not a huge fan of "sponsorized content" on a €14k TV, I hope that you can turn on your Tv directly on a source without this home screen.

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
5,301 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Mon, Jan 11 2021 4:02 PM

mbee:

With the new panels also comes WebOS 6, which now has a full screen home menu "alowing more space for sponsorised content". As I'm not a huge fan of "sponsorized content" on a €14k TV, I hope that you can turn on your Tv directly on a source without this home screen.

I did chuckle at this: https://www.t3.com/news/lg-g1-oled-tv-revealed-with-oled-evo-next-gen-panel

Last year's G1 TV was also made to be wall-mounted, with its design focused around that. It's true this year too, but LG has also made a point of showing off a fetching stand that brings to mind B&O's minimalist and furniture-like TV designs. We like it.

The Beonic Man
Top 150 Contributor
Bristol
789 Posts
Gold Member

They are also releasing smaller 42” OLED panels which will be interesting and sell well I think.

BV11-46, BV8-32, V1-32, BS2, P6, A1, H95, E8, BR1, Beo4, Essence

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
11,723 Posts
Bronze Member

mbee:

Maybe B&O can sponsor their Logo so it can pretend to be a B&O TV!

Ban boring signatures!

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
2,033 Posts
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Mon, Jan 11 2021 8:02 PM
mbee:

diisign.com

Interesting, and horrible at the same time.

Some TV brands have been including the sponsored content tiles for a while, and coupled with sharing a lot of the users usage data, are a revenue source.

I’d have hoped that LG did not need to do this - its fine for Vizio and TCL to do this, not having LG’s scale.

But if LG are going down the same route, that’s a bit disappointing.

Top 150 Contributor
485 Posts
Bronze Member
1990 replied on Mon, Jan 11 2021 8:15 PM

The Alpha 9 processor that is needed for B&O integration (at least that was the story with the release of the Stage), is also featured in the new QNED-panels. So maybe we’ll have some LCD options in future too (for Stage and maybe even Contour/Eclipse)?

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
5,301 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Mon, Jan 11 2021 11:15 PM

1990:

The Alpha 9 processor that is needed for B&O integration (at least that was the story with the release of the Stage), is also featured in the new QNED-panels. So maybe we’ll have some LCD options in future too (for Stage and maybe even Contour/Eclipse)?

I'd wait a generation and move up to MicroLED. That's the future: https://www.samsung.com/us/explore/ces2021/televisions/?

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
3,613 Posts
Gold Member

Considering that numerous CES 2021 YouTube clips are referring to LG as "luxury TV brand" to separate out from TCL, etc., so is "sponsored content" detracting from the "luxury" experience?

One of the articles I read wrote that WebOS6.0 is also a distraction in that prior versions just 'happen in the background' and the new one is about being in the foreground.  Makes you wonder if being in the background is a better experience.

Be interesting to see in time if sponsored content can be removed and how customisable the UI is to the customer. 

I couldn't see when these panels will come to market?  It normally happens way later in the year from memory after CES announcements, product reviews, etc. 

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
5,301 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Tue, Jan 12 2021 10:03 AM

Aussie Michael:

I couldn't see when these panels will come to market?  It normally happens way later in the year from memory after CES announcements, product reviews, etc. 

The CX and GX were announced same time last year and I bought mine in late March 2020 - was one of the first to hit the UK.

No way will B&O switch to these new panels any time soon. That's not how they operate. Eclipse v1 used the same panel for 3 years, so expect the Eclipse v2 to use the GX for 'some time yet'.

mbee
Top 75 Contributor
Paris, France
1,809 Posts
Bronze Member
mbee replied on Tue, Jan 12 2021 10:23 AM

I expect B&O to quickly switch to G1 panels as it’s physically identical to the GX. The only thing that may delay the release is if the B&O app has to be updated. Otherwise the context is completely different as for the Eclipse V1 : now B&O sells you a completely separated set with a LG TV with a separated packaging and price tag on your bill, and as I understand it’s the dealers that purchase the OLED panels directly from LG, so they can switch whenever they want to (no stock of GX panels at B&O).

mbee
Top 75 Contributor
Paris, France
1,809 Posts
Bronze Member
mbee replied on Tue, Jan 12 2021 10:28 AM

And to add to this « quick adoption theory », I just tried to find a LG 65G9 from a TV store with brick and mortar shops here in France (opposed to online shops with clearance products) and it’s not available anywhere.

So even if B&O did want to continue selling GX panels with its TVs, I’m quite sure they won’t be able to do that due to EOL at LG.

Top 150 Contributor
485 Posts
Bronze Member
1990 replied on Tue, Jan 12 2021 12:34 PM

B&O has some supply arrangements with LG though, in the Netherlands the 48" CX is very hard to come by and still retails at the introduction list price (1.699). B&O dealers have a guaranteed number of panels and don't have the supply issues normal high street shops have with this panel.

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,573 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey:

The CX and GX were announced same time last year and I bought mine in late March 2020 - was one of the first to hit the UK.

No way will B&O switch to these new panels any time soon. That's not how they operate. Eclipse v1 used the same panel for 3 years, so expect the Eclipse v2 to use the GX for 'some time yet'.

Why? It’s not custom at all. My eclipse v2 was sourced from both a super market and B&O from what I can tell from the shipping labels on the boxes.

B&O has changed a lot with times and supply chain is much smarter now than before. I believe they will do everything to minimize keeping stock of parts they don’t need to keep in stock. They have been in dire straits and are just gaining monetary profits again.

Beolab 50, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9 3rd Gen, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Eclipse Gen 2 55", BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
5,301 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Tue, Jan 12 2021 6:51 PM

Michael:
Why? It’s not custom at all. My eclipse v2 was sourced from both a super market and B&O from what I can tell from the shipping labels on the boxes.

You're assuming the new panel will match the design of the bottom fake panel under the sound center. And why on earth would someone swap a brand new 2020 GX for this panel? We're going mad if we're even debating this as an option. It's a relatively minor upgrade.

Page 1 of 4 (60 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL