rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

albertavg
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member
albertavg Posted: Mon, Jan 11 2021 10:58 AM

Hello all,

I've been a huge follower of this forum for quite a few years now, and finally decided to join and ask for recommendations and opinions on my next project. As a little kid, my family bought the Beovision LX4500 and Beovox 5000, from that moment I've been developing a deep appreciation for this brand and the products they make. The work and craftsman that go into making the pieces they do, is something out of this world, and something I really admire.

A couple years ago, I finally managed to get myself a pair of Beolab 6000 and another pair of Beolab 8000. They were sold as a package on a second-hand store here in Spain, for a price I couldn't let go. The 8000's have been sitting in my bedroom and were a big improvement over my old speaker setup. While the 6000's are installed in the office.

This year, I'm finally moving out from my parents’ house to a 65m2 (700 sqft) loft. Basically it's 14.5m by 4.5m, and no walls except for the bathroom. When I first stepped in the apartment my idea was to put the 6000 in what is going to be the bedroom and the 8000's in the living room. 

However, a friend of my father is selling his Penta's MK3 and Beosound 9000 for around 850€ (770GBP). I've been looking for these for a long time, and I think price-wise it's a good deal. However, after reading a lot of posts here in the forum, I don't know if buying the Penta's is the way to go. My idea would be then selling the 6000's, move the 8000's to the bedroom, and install the Penta's on the living room.

And here is where I need your help, opinion or recommendation. I don't want to buy the Penta and Beosound pack, and feel like it hasn't been that big of improvement. And was thinking myself, If I should wait a little bit and maybe get a pair of Beolab 9, which I think are a step-up on both the 8000's and Penta. Also, on the long term, I would like to add a pair of small speakers on the rear of the living room like the Beolab 3 or 4000.

So, based on your experience,

a)     What would you do?

b)     What would be your recommended setup for the living room?

I know, there’s going to be a lot of options and combinations possible, but I would like to know what you guys think about, and what experiences has taught you.

Thanks in advance for all your help, and sorry for the long text!

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,488
Bronze Member

Noone as far, so here are some thoughts.

One question to ask is, will you be using the two sets together/daisychained for one source - what is the source device, respectively do you have a (B&O) tv as well....or plan to have.

Generally speaking I would think of adding a subwoofer tor that big room....unless you never play very loud.

The BL9’s certainly might be an option instead of adding the sub.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

albertavg
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member
albertavg replied on Thu, Jan 14 2021 3:18 PM

First of all thanks for the answer Millemissen,

I've been thinking a little bit more about the Beosound 9000 and Penta's. And finally decided to go ahead and buy them, I had all this money saved for travelling in 2020, that well, it's been collecting dust under the mattress all year.... So as soon as our government let's us move again freely I'm gonna go see them, and if everything is ok take them home. 

I know they had the foam/rubbers replaced, so I'll try to do the recap as soon as I can too. Penta's as planned will be setup in the living room front area, while I leave the 8000's in the rear for now (all of them playing at the same time). Main source for them will be the Beosound 9000. And was planning due to installation layout to do the following:

Beosound 9000 -> Penta FL -> Penta FR  -> 8000 RR -> 8000 RL (all with Powerlink). On a nearby cabinet I'll setup a Marantz amplifier with a Garrard turntable that I'll plug to the 6000's (with low line filters). 

To be honest, there's still a lot of variables I haven't taken into account, for example how to manage the sound coming from my TV (planning on buying some standard 4K Smart TV like Samsung or Philips). I think the Beosound only has one aux input so I'll have to think about that and how to get around it. Since originally I wanted to use the aux input for the Bluetooth receiver I have on my 8000's now. 

I'm afraid however that even with the Penta's and the 8000's there's not enough bass to "fill" the room. I'm not a fan of playing music very loud, but well, I'm 26, and won't have close neighbors... Also I occasionally play some music that require great bass response, and I already feel that I'm missing it just with the 8000's. But checking the database here I see that not only the Penta's have twice the woofers found in the 8000's, but they're also bigger.

Too many things, and to many variables! 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,488
Bronze Member

Yes, indeed many variables there.

Hope you get it set up as you wish it - although, I am pretty sure, that it won't be easy.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Steffen
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,405
Gold Member
Steffen replied on Thu, Jan 14 2021 6:44 PM

You can be sure to have enough bass if you buy the Penta's. I have a pair of Penta's in my home bar. I have also tried a pair of Beolab 9.

You do not get much more bass with the BL9 compared to Penta - and the treble is a bit more "harsh" in the BL9 (in my opinion).

The 8000's are nice speakers, but they lack bass -you will be surprised when you hear the Penta's compared to them.

albertavg
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member
albertavg replied on Wed, Feb 10 2021 11:20 AM

Thanks for the note Steffen, I have to admit that lately I’m buying more with the heart and not with the head. Since I’ll be moving to the loft late this month, I want to have the music system set up as soon as possible. Deal with the Penta’s seems to be drifting away, since it’s seems now that the buyer wants to keep them. No regrets though, I would to the same if I had such pieces… So, I’m looking towards another pair of Beolab 8000 that are being sold together with a Beolab 2 close by.

My biggest concern now is how to properly fill the 170 cubic meters of open flooring. Currently, my Beolab’s 8000 are playing in a room with no more than 40 cubic meters, and I have to admit they’ve adapted quite well. But I’m afraid even two pairs (two as front speakers and two as rears) won’t be enough.

Any thoughts anyone?

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL