Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

BeoLab 3500: can it play music as stand alone speaker without remote control?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 12 Replies | 2 Followers

KolfMAKER
Top 500 Contributor
The Netherlands
138 Posts
Silver Member
KolfMAKER posted on Sun, Dec 13 2020 1:43 PM

I have just gotten a BeoLab 3500 without remote control.

What I want to do, is hook up an iPhone to play music via the PowerLink DIN input. Thus, the BeoLab as stand-alone speaker.
I have a converter cable to connect my iPhone's mini jack output to DIN (5-pin, as standard DIN/PowerLink MK1). I have added a picture of this converter cable.

Two questions I have:

1) Should the BeoLab 3500 be able to play music via this converter cable?

2) Can the BeoLab 3500 automatically pick up the audio signal from the PowerLink input, or do I need a B&O remote control to select the Audio-IN source first?

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

KolfMAKER
Top 500 Contributor
The Netherlands
138 Posts
Silver Member

After searching, I found the right info.

Cable

I used a custom made mini-jack to DIN5 cable. The pin configuration of the MCL/DIN audio-IN port on the BeoLab 3500 is specific. The wires have to soldered like shown in the picture:

• Pin 3 & 5 have to be connected in the DIN plug, and lead to ground on the mini-jack (bottom ring)
  • Pin 4 is for right channel signal and leads to the 2nd ring in the mini-jack
  • Pin 1 is for left channel signal and leads to the tip of the mini-jack

Activating Audio IN via MCL

Next is getting the sound into the BeoLab. You need a B&O remote to switch the BeoLab 3500 to the MCL port.
If you push 'Menu > 0 > 4 > Go', the BeoLab will switch to the MCL port. And you can see that in the display.

You are ready now to utilise the BeoLab 3500 as stand alone speaker.

All Replies

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
1,294 Posts
Bronze Member

As many of us, I've been there before and it's widely discussed on the forum so I'll keep my answers short:

1) if it's the right cable, yes. But…
2)You need a remote to put the BL3500 in a special mode which open the PL port… And…
3)It won't work if you have any other piece of B&O equipment controlled by remote in the same room. 

madskp
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
313 Posts
Gold Member
madskp replied on Sun, Dec 13 2020 4:05 PM
Alternativly you could use this product https://almando.com/index.php/almando-category/masterplay-masterlink-konverter/almando-masterplay.html?___store=endkunde_eng&___from_store=default

But Its a little more expensive solution
KolfMAKER
Top 500 Contributor
The Netherlands
138 Posts
Silver Member

Thanks Matador43!

Can you confirm if the standard DIN 5-pin cable

should work as input on the BeoLab 3500?

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
1,294 Posts
Bronze Member

I dont know if it's standard or not but it wont work as standard input as it.
Search for similar thread on beoworld or on soundheavenly website for details.

You should put the BL3500 in a special mode each time you turn it on to enable the input and its far from convenient.

I drop the idea of a standalone BL3500 long ago because it's simply not easy or straightforward. 

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
2,263 Posts
Silver Member
Out of all the shitty speakers I have hear, Beolab 3500 is the best.

"You think we can slap some oak on this thing?"

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
2,263 Posts
Silver Member
It is wired differently.

I bought one from soundsheavenly and opened it up. But I won’t be sharing any picture of it.

"You think we can slap some oak on this thing?"

OldJack
Top 200 Contributor
Split
368 Posts
Gold Member
OldJack replied on Sun, Dec 13 2020 10:53 PM

leosgonewild:
Out of all the shitty speakers I have hear, Beolab 3500 is the best.

Thumbs Up

Beogram 6500 MMC2,Beosound Ouverture,2xBeolab 8000,2xBelolab 4000,Beolab 2,Beolab 7.2,Beo4 navi, 2xBeocom2,Serene,Beosystem 3 mk3,H6 2nd gen,Earphones E8,A8,A9 keyring,Beoplay A1,Bottle opener,Beoplay A2 active(thanks Botty)Wine Set(thanks Botty),4Ktv Samsung 55'',Beolab 7.1 with 42''Panasonic plasma,,Oppo udp-203, LinTronic.

KolfMAKER
Top 500 Contributor
The Netherlands
138 Posts
Silver Member

After searching, I found the right info.

Cable

I used a custom made mini-jack to DIN5 cable. The pin configuration of the MCL/DIN audio-IN port on the BeoLab 3500 is specific. The wires have to soldered like shown in the picture:

• Pin 3 & 5 have to be connected in the DIN plug, and lead to ground on the mini-jack (bottom ring)
  • Pin 4 is for right channel signal and leads to the 2nd ring in the mini-jack
  • Pin 1 is for left channel signal and leads to the tip of the mini-jack

Activating Audio IN via MCL

Next is getting the sound into the BeoLab. You need a B&O remote to switch the BeoLab 3500 to the MCL port.
If you push 'Menu > 0 > 4 > Go', the BeoLab will switch to the MCL port. And you can see that in the display.

You are ready now to utilise the BeoLab 3500 as stand alone speaker.

KolfMAKER
Top 500 Contributor
The Netherlands
138 Posts
Silver Member

The only thing I am still looking for ...

Is it possible to set the BeoLab 3500 permanently to the MCL-port?

It now switches back to standard settings. So each time you want to play music via MCL, you have to use the B&O remote again, and send the 'menu > 0 > 4 > Go' command again.
I would prefer not to do that each time. 

BenSA
Top 75 Contributor
Durban, South Africa
1,387 Posts
Bronze Member
BenSA replied on Mon, Feb 8 2021 3:00 PM

Best option is using a beolink 1611 converter box. This allows you to switch the 3500 with one button and you can change the bass, treble etc which you can't do with the cable. Also the cable only you let's you play as loud as the preset set volume whereas the 1611 will allow to let change the volume as you like. The converter 1611 has an aux input. 

Gerardus54
Not Ranked
27 Posts
Bronze Member

The cable you have wil not work.you need a cable from steve www.sounds heavenly.com

The beolab 3500 also need a remote to put him on and off.

good luck

KolfMAKER
Top 500 Contributor
The Netherlands
138 Posts
Silver Member

Dear Gerardus54,

Thanks for your response!

FYI: the cable I mentioned does work, it has been tested and works perfectly.
That I need a remote is clear, like I mentioned before.

Though, I am interested to learn if there are other ways to switch to MCL permanently. 

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL