Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

RIAA Pre-amplifier - which end of the cable?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 2 verified answers | 5 Replies | 0 Followers

smart210
Not Ranked
12 Posts
Bronze Member
smart210 posted on Fri, Dec 4 2020 11:55 AM

Hello Experts,

I got an old Beogram 3000 from a family member and would like to connect it to my Beosound 4.

For that purpose I (assume I) need an RIAA Pre-amplifier. 

My question is: There is approx. 15 meters between the Beogram and the Beosound. Will it make any difference what so ever (sound quality wise etc.) whether I attach the RIAA at the Beogram or Beosound end of the cable?

Thanks,

Soren

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
3,976 Posts
Gold Member
Answered (Verified) chartz replied on Fri, Dec 4 2020 12:05 PM
Verified by smart210
Hi Soren,

Yes it would. The preamp should be next to the Beogram (or ideally into it like with the BG1000 and 1800 which had their own optional modules) because capacitance from a long run would considerably alter the treble response. The Beogram cable is part of the circuit if you will, and shouldn’t be modified.

Jacques

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
3,976 Posts
Gold Member
Verified by smart210

It’ll be just fine. Go for it.

Jacques

All Replies

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
3,976 Posts
Gold Member
Answered (Verified) chartz replied on Fri, Dec 4 2020 12:05 PM
Verified by smart210
Hi Soren,

Yes it would. The preamp should be next to the Beogram (or ideally into it like with the BG1000 and 1800 which had their own optional modules) because capacitance from a long run would considerably alter the treble response. The Beogram cable is part of the circuit if you will, and shouldn’t be modified.

Jacques

smart210
Not Ranked
12 Posts
Bronze Member

Great - thank you!

solderon29
Top 150 Contributor
U.K.West Midlands
740 Posts
Gold Member

If it's the BG3000/5228,they were designed for retro fitting of an internal RIAA preamplifier.

Member Dillen makes a kit based upon the original design.Have a look at his website Beoparts for more info.

If you need to extend the connecting cable,you will need a special cable with Din socket at one end,to accomodate the existing connector,and a Din plug to connect into the the Beosound.

It's crucial that this cable is made for B&O application,otherwise you will experience awful hum problems.

I dare say that Steve at Sounds Heavenly can help with this?

Nick

smart210
Not Ranked
12 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks a lot Nick!

It is unfortunately the 3000/5901, so I guess I would have to go with an external RIAA. I stumbled upon this one (https://www.av-connection.com/?PGr=12978). It almost seems too cheap to be of good quality, but makes it easy to connect with the Beosound 4, as it has DIN input and RCA Phono output (which is what the Beosystem 4 has)

Anyone with experience with this RIAA or a recommendation for another one?

Regards,

Soren

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
3,976 Posts
Gold Member
Verified by smart210

It’ll be just fine. Go for it.

Jacques

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate