rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 9 Replies | 0 Followers

dahiyas
Top 500 Contributor
United States
132 Posts
Silver Member
dahiyas posted on Wed, Dec 2 2020 2:55 AM

Last week I saw a MS150 come on the market and decided to buy it as I saw this as the perfect partner for BM8000 I am working on currently. Only challenge, I had to trust UPS to pack and ship the speakers safely from DC to Atlanta. (and without the speaker grilles). They didn't survive the trip and I have filed a claim with UPS but there is damage.

Cosmetically the speakers are fine..no damage to frame...there are normal scuffs on the black frame but that can be cleaned up easily.

Speaker 1 - The housing for tweeter/midrange came loose from the frame that gets held by the clips. That meant that the housing was thrown around in the speaker and cracked the crossover PCB (All traces seem to be ok). Coil L1 is missing.

Speaker 2 - The cone on the 8" mid-range is torn. rest of the speakers are fine. Dust cap - I should be able to fix.

Speaker 1 - I should be able to fix most of the issues. It's speaker 2 that I am not sure about.

I have reviewed the posts about MS150 including the most comprehensive one by Sonavor. (https://forum.beoworld.org/forums/p/638/44295.aspx#44295)

How simple or difficult is it to replace the cone on the 8" mid-range? More importantly do I event attempt it or just wait for a replacement on ebay etc ?

Looking for suggestions please.

Thank you !!

All Replies

dahiyas
Top 500 Contributor
United States
132 Posts
Silver Member

Quick update on the project -

- Still trying to resolve the issue with UPS. They took the speakers from my house and back to their facility for inspection and returned the speakers after 10 days and sent me a invoice for 51 USD Angry

- Meanwhile, after moving parts between the two speakers now I have 1 working speaker.

- I am now looking for two items to restore the 2nd speaker -

1. 6.8mH coil on the crossover. I looked on the internet and everything available is too heavy and             big. 

2. 8" mid-range speaker (damaged cone). 

My only hope is this forum. If anyone has any of the above parts, do PM me. 

Thanks !!

Spassmaker
Top 500 Contributor
North Germany
123 Posts
Silver Member

Hi

Search for this Scan Speak Midrange Speaker.

Fits nice and has the same specificatioms like original.

Not very cheap but new.

Often the drivercoils come loose from the diaphragma, sometimes, not always the coils are burnt.

So it´s your decision to buy a used one or a new one.

SCAN Speak Mitteltöner d7608/920000 Discovery.

Merry Christmas.

Chrischi

dahiyas
Top 500 Contributor
United States
132 Posts
Silver Member
dahiyas replied on Mon, Dec 28 2020 10:46 PM

Thanks Chrischi.

The 3" speakers are fine, it's the 8" speaker that's damaged.

But thanks for the info.

Happy holidays !!

Sudhir

dahiyas
Top 500 Contributor
United States
132 Posts
Silver Member

I did get some time today to open the second speaker and the crossover PCB. The 6.8mH coil is 40mm x 39.5mm.

So the closest match is - https://www.tme.com/us/en-us/details/fc-6.8mh-vs/audio-coils/visaton/3704/. Ordered and hope to get it in 7-10 days. 

The round trip from UPS after insurance inspection has done some more damage to the crossover PCB. 1 trace was broken rest everything seems to be ok. Am worried about the weight of the 6.8mH  on the board will cause more damage. Will need to figure out a way to secure the pcb.

I pulled out the 8" drivers. When pressing on the cones there is no movement, they both are stiff. The 10" drivers move when pressed on the cone.

Are the 8"  drivers damaged beyond repair ?

Thanks !!

dahiyas
Top 500 Contributor
United States
132 Posts
Silver Member
dahiyas replied on Thu, Jan 21 2021 11:57 PM

The 6.8mH coil arrived and the size is similar to the original coil. So both the crossover boards are good now. 

UPS was good and approved my claim. So the MS150 speakers are "free" for me now.

Need to replace the surrounds on the 10" woofers and they will be good.

8" - Both of them were frozen. I followed instructions on Sonavors post (https://forum.beoworld.org/forums/t/638.aspx?PageIndex=4) and was able free up the voice coils. 

John - Were you able to use the restored 8" drivers ? 

Q - The cones on both of them are damaged. Are there any replacement cones available anywhere ?

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,533 Posts
Gold Member

No, I only restore the foam surrounds. When it comes to the mechanical parts of the driver I take them to a professional speaker repair shop in Dallas - Freeman-Tuell.  They have been in business for a lot of years and are really good at repairing speaker components. I used them to replace the foam surrounds on some Yamaha NS-2000 woofers I own. The woofer drivers have an unusual size - 33cm (13 inch) driver and I couldn't find a replacement surround for it. Freeman-Tuell made surrounds for it and it works like new again.

-John

dahiyas
Top 500 Contributor
United States
132 Posts
Silver Member

Thanks Sonavor, I did call Freeman-Tuell . They said that if the voice coils are frozen then they wont be able to do anything and they were not sure about the cone also. Maybe I will ask them to "try"..worst case I am down by shipping fees.

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,533 Posts
Gold Member

How about The Speaker Shop (in Florida)? The guy that does those repairs successfully rebuilt the 12 inch woofers of some Yamaha NS-690 speakers for me. That was ten years ago and they still work great. You might call and talk to him.

-sonavor

dahiyas
Top 500 Contributor
United States
132 Posts
Silver Member

No Sonavor. I haven't reached out to them as yet. I will try speaking to them on Monday. 

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL