Popping sound on specific frequencies of male voices - Beolab 18/19

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 12 Replies | 0 Followers

KenLil
Not Ranked
7 Posts
Bronze Member
KenLil posted on Tue, Nov 24 2020 11:00 AM

I just bought a brand new system with Beolab 18 and 19 - connected with BeoCore, and have an intolerable popping sound with deep male voices.

In general the system sounds amazing, but with specific voices (like that of George Clooney), the room is shaking with the random pops. Its not just isolated to the typical B and P mike pops, but more like hitting a specific frequency.

The sound appears both when using analog input on the BeoCore and over wireless AirPlay, and everything is connected with B&O powerlink cables. The pop sound comes from all speakers (18 and 19). So i suppose the problem can be isolated to something in Beocore and wiring?

Any ideas how to troubleshoot?

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

KenLil
Not Ranked
7 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Verified) KenLil replied on Tue, Nov 24 2020 3:51 PM
Verified by KenLil

Resolved !!

Thanks to all for asking about this issue.

By doing a factory reset from the B&O app, the pops disappeared.

I will add, for anyone having similar issues, that I initially had an issue with humming - very much sounding like 50 hz hum, and that was resolved with a system software update.

The current isse with deep pops was solved with a factory reset - and it came out of no apparent reason.

This concludes my first post here, and creamy times ahead...

All Replies

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
2,442 Posts
Gold Member
Duels replied on Tue, Nov 24 2020 11:40 AM
Just wondering how exactly you have the core wired to the speakers.

Usually when a BL19 is added to BL18s and a core they would be connected using WISA via a transmitter 1 which would do the sound processing/crossovers between the speakers.
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,671 Posts
Bronze Member

Have you tried placing the BL19 in another (or more) different location(s) in the room?

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,671 Posts
Bronze Member

Have you tried placing the BL19 in another (or more) different location(s) in the room?

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

KenLil
Not Ranked
7 Posts
Bronze Member
KenLil replied on Tue, Nov 24 2020 12:23 PM

Duels:
Just wondering how exactly you have the core wired to the speakers.

Usually when a BL19 is added to BL18s and a core they would be connected using WISA via a transmitter 1 which would do the sound processing/crossovers between the speakers.

It's all daisy chained with powerlink - so ethernet cable from the core to left speaker, then left to right speaker and then to BL19 subwoofer. So no transmitter in the system.

KenLil
Not Ranked
7 Posts
Bronze Member
KenLil replied on Tue, Nov 24 2020 12:24 PM

Millemissen:

MM

No - can try. But, the sound can be heard on all speakers clearly when i put my ear close to the units.

Curly
Top 500 Contributor
FL, USA
156 Posts
Gold Member
Curly replied on Tue, Nov 24 2020 1:11 PM

Just curious, if you unplug the BL19 entirely, do the two BL18s still pop?

Currently: BeoLab 17, BeoLab 18, BeoSound Core, BeoPlay S8 Connection Hub, Essence Remote

Previously: BeoSound 1 non-GVA

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
2,442 Posts
Gold Member
Duels replied on Tue, Nov 24 2020 1:20 PM
KenLil:

It's all daisy chained with powerlink - so ethernet cable from the core to left speaker, then left to right speaker and then to BL19 subwoofer. So no transmitter in the system.

Any what are the settings on the BL19? In particular how is the low pass filter set?
KenLil
Not Ranked
7 Posts
Bronze Member
KenLil replied on Tue, Nov 24 2020 1:55 PM

Curly:

Just curious, if you unplug the BL19 entirely, do the two BL18s still pop?

I didn't try this - but will. I didn't try disconnecting the 19 because i hear the pops clearly in the 18s when i have my ear close to the units. But it wont hurt to try and disable the 19. Ill get back. And thanks.

KenLil
Not Ranked
7 Posts
Bronze Member
KenLil replied on Tue, Nov 24 2020 1:58 PM

Duels:
KenLil:

Any what are the settings on the BL19? In particular how is the low pass filter set?

So, i tried setting both gain and low pass on highest and lowest - the BL19 and BL18 still pop.

KenLil
Not Ranked
7 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Verified) KenLil replied on Tue, Nov 24 2020 3:51 PM
Verified by KenLil

Resolved !!

Thanks to all for asking about this issue.

By doing a factory reset from the B&O app, the pops disappeared.

I will add, for anyone having similar issues, that I initially had an issue with humming - very much sounding like 50 hz hum, and that was resolved with a system software update.

The current isse with deep pops was solved with a factory reset - and it came out of no apparent reason.

This concludes my first post here, and creamy times ahead...

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
2,442 Posts
Gold Member
Duels replied on Tue, Nov 24 2020 4:01 PM
Great news. Enjoy your music!
KenLil
Not Ranked
7 Posts
Bronze Member
KenLil replied on Tue, Nov 24 2020 5:09 PM