rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 20 Replies | 0 Followers

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
5,329 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey posted on Sat, Nov 14 2020 12:20 PM

I'm deciding between two very different houses to purchase. One is a super-modern new build with big walls and I'm already visualising using one wall for a Shape.

The Shape isn't something discussed at length on this forum, so wanted a few opinions:

Sound. If I went for 8 dampers, how does it compare to other B&O speakers? Since it was launched I always had the impression it looked like it would sound quite mid-range?

Installation. I guess it has to be done professionally. Any suggestions? I'm thinking I'd get it installed before I move in, so I can channel the cables in to the wall.

How do you have your Shape setup? Any opinions on this. Any photos you'd care to share?

All Replies

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
14,368 Posts
Bronze Member

@CB

Yes, that‘s the one - thanks!

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

BeoFrederic
Top 500 Contributor
230 Posts
Bronze Member

CB and MM: thanks for engaging and re-posting those images from the B&O rollout.  I'd seen them before.  Not shooting the messenger here - I find these graphics perfectly ambiguous.  What, in this context, does B&O mean by the word 'performance' ?

Also, MM: have a listen to Henrik's recording of a Shape in stereo mode.  What do you think of that mode?  For me, under headphones, there's a robust stereo image.  Carolpa also mentioned this in his/her post.

moxxie: here in the U.S. (not relevant to you) an average consumer can't just punch a hole in the wall and run the power/mains cable behind the drywall: it's against the electric code.  You need an electrician, Romex, etc. I'm sure it's similar in the UK.  So yeah, wire it up before the drywall is finished if you can.

FWIW, if I ever pull the trigger on a Shape myself, I'll consider a false wall/large piece of finished plywood to act as the substrate for the installation.  It should make cabling easier and avoid holes in the room's wall.

Finally, Carolpa's suggestion of loading up the Shape's core with connections aforehand is an excellent thought; e.g not only could you use a PL connection to connect to BV, you could also use a PL connection to connect the Shape to a BL subwoofer.

Henrik has a video detailing this, though it's in Danish so I"m only guessing as to content.

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
5,329 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Mon, Nov 16 2020 6:25 AM

CB:
To give you an idea of sound equivalent speakers vs Shapes I thought these pictures would be useful.

I remember seeing this chart....and wondering if it's true? ie. how can speakers on a wall 'sound' like a ALT-based BeoLab 3 or how can the woofers have the depth of an A9?

Mind you, just compared the frequency range of the Shape versus an A9 and was astonished to see the Shape has a wider range!

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
5,329 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Mon, Nov 16 2020 6:27 AM

BeoFrederic:

moxxie: here in the U.S. (not relevant to you) an average consumer can't just punch a hole in the wall and run the power/mains cable behind the drywall: it's against the electric code.  You need an electrician, Romex, etc. I'm sure it's similar in the UK.  So yeah, wire it up before the drywall is finished if you can.

That's exactly the plan. As the new build is being completed, my thought was to try and get them to incorporate this before it's finished. I was going to email Tuesday with my plans and see if they can implement as part of the buying process!

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
14,368 Posts
Bronze Member

There are several Shape related threads, so I did not know where to place this….but here goes:

https://youtu.be/aQFMHMZNUH4

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

BeoFrederic
Top 500 Contributor
230 Posts
Bronze Member
Thanks, MM and Henrik. Nice to see that B&O aren’t ignoring the product.
Page 2 of 2 (21 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL