B&O Beogram RX2

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 16 Replies | 3 Followers

Zinfandel
Not Ranked
3 Posts
Bronze Member
Zinfandel posted on Wed, Nov 11 2020 6:44 PM

Thanks for letting me join. I recently retired and now have time to try and archive/digitize my approximately 300 albums of mostly classic rock. Took my RX2 off the shelf, probably last used it in early 2014. As far as I recollect it worked fine, I even transferred a few albums at that time. It now has issues.  Sound level is very low ( I have it hooked thru phono inputs of a Yamaha RX450), muted and somewhat scratchy. My vinyl was well used and often had scratches but there is only muffled sound now. I have a MMC4 cartridge. I suspect it may be the culprit as I have checked all my connections multiple times.

Here's my problem. New MMC4 are around $200 USD. I can get an analog to digital USB with pre-amp for another $100 USD. Total outlay $300. I can get a mid-level Audio Technica AT-LP120XBT-USB for $250 USD. Has digitizer and pre-amp already.

1. Is there a way to confirm it is the cartridge without buying  new one? Is $200 the best I can do?

2. While I realize we all have a bias towards the B&O solution, would the Audio Technica be a good choice to archive my collection? Noticeable quality loss over the RX2/MMC4 in this use? There is little risk with this solution ( unless somehow the pre-amp in my Yamaha is the problem and even then that only comes in to play with option 1)

Thanks for any input.

All Replies

AKML
Not Ranked
3 Posts
Bronze Member
AKML replied on Sat, Jul 24 2021 2:37 AM

Hi Saint,

I want to do the same thing, but I have a recently repaired and tuned with new soundsmith MMC cartridge Beogram 5000 connected to the Beomaster 5000.  (I also looked into the AT, but am hoping I can find a purer way to do this.  I want my digital recording to be as hi fidelity as possible, even picking up the pops and scratches that might be on my records.)

I could:

1. Get a pre-amp connected to RCA cables from the Beogram and an analog to digital converter as you suggest.

2. Connect the Beogram to the Beomaster with the 7-pin DIN and then use RCA cables to the Pre Amp out from the Beomaster and connect  an analog to digital converter.  The Beomaster would be the pre-amp.  I might even be able to program a mix of record, cd, and tape to be output to a single file . . .

I think #2 would get the purest Beo-sound, but might introduce issues or not be as good as #1.

What do you think?

(I hope to take the digital files with me to listen on the road, but I know the sound will not be the same.  Worth a try.)

Saint Beogrowler
Top 150 Contributor
Saint Paul
779 Posts
Bronze Member
AKML:

Hi Saint,

I want to do the same thing, but I have a recently repaired and tuned with new soundsmith MMC cartridge Beogram 5000 connected to the Beomaster 5000. (I also looked into the AT, but am hoping I can find a purer way to do this. I want my digital recording to be as hi fidelity as possible, even picking up the pops and scratches that might be on my records.)

I could:

1. Get a pre-amp connected to RCA cables from the Beogram and an analog to digital converter as you suggest.

2. Connect the Beogram to the Beomaster with the 7-pin DIN and then use RCA cables to the Pre Amp out from the Beomaster and connect an analog to digital converter. The Beomaster would be the pre-amp. I might even be able to program a mix of record, cd, and tape to be output to a single file . . .

I think #2 would get the purest Beo-sound, but might introduce issues or not be as good as #1.

What do you think?

(I hope to take the digital files with me to listen on the road, but I know the sound will not be the same. Worth a try.)

Sure #2 would work without having to buy as much gear and cables as #1 considering you have a functional BM5000. But as you said, more issues with volume control, etc. I don’t know what a pure “beo-sound” sounds like but the idea in hi-fi is not altering it modifying in playback how music was presented when recorded. I love the BM 5000 but in this situation I can get cleaner reproduction with a great phono preamp and less circuitry in the path from my Beogram to the computer.

All this to say, in my opinion, nothing is pure about digitizing vinyl and then playing it back on the road.
Page 2 of 2 (17 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL