rated by 0 users
This post has 16 Replies | 2 Followers

seethroughyou
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 975
Bronze Member
seethroughyou Posted: Sun, Nov 8 2020 8:40 PM
My wife asked me what I’d like for Xmas.

A Beosound 9000 came to mind as I’m still a CD man though do stream a bit. I’ve read on Facebook B&O forums that the Mark 3 is now the one to buy but lasers for MK 1, 2 and 3 are now NOT available (which was not the situation a several years ago). If this is the case then buying a used BS9000 would be a waste of £1500 if the laser dies.

Would welcome your advice please.

Present: BL90, Moment, Core, BL6000, CD7000, 7000, Essence Remote.

Past: BL1, BL2, BL8000, BS9000, BL5, BC2, BS5, BV5, BV4-50, Beosystem 3, BL3, DVD1, Beoremote 4.

Weebyx
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,208
Bronze Member
Weebyx replied on Mon, Nov 9 2020 7:07 AM

seethroughyou:
My wife asked me what I’d like for Xmas.

A Beosound 9000 came to mind as I’m still a CD man though do stream a bit. I’ve read on Facebook B&O forums that the Mark 3 is now the one to buy but lasers for MK 1, 2 and 3 are now NOT available (which was not the situation a several years ago). If this is the case then buying a used BS9000 would be a waste of £1500 if the laser dies.

Would welcome your advice please.

Official source for MK3(VAM1250) lasers are gone, B&O has no more stock. Some local dealers/shops might have some, but they will probably hang on to the so they can earn the money on replacing.

MK1 and MK2 that use the CDM12.4 lasers, are still possible to source used lasers for that (mostly work). But no new lasers are available. Be aware, that some MK2's has been converted to MK3 if they went in for official service for a deal MK2 laser.

Early MK1's used CDM12.6 lasers, which are as hard to find used working, as the latest MK3's

Some later B&O products used the same laser as the MK3 BS9000, so you could buy a used BS3000/3200/BS4 and hope that laser works and is the same type.

So, in an essence, the BS9000 is entering an era of only finding used lasers and hope they work.

/Weebyx

BenSA
Top 75 Contributor
Durban, South Africa
Posts 1,399
Bronze Member
BenSA replied on Mon, Nov 9 2020 7:53 AM

Sadly it seems like its the end of the road for the 9000. There are chinese lasers on Ebay but its so hit and miss as they often don't work or if they do they burn out much quicker than the originals. Be nice if someone could come up with a way to be able to fit newer cd laser types.

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,640
Gold Member
TWG replied on Mon, Nov 9 2020 8:01 AM

BenSA:

There are chinese lasers on Ebay but its so hit and miss as they often don't work or if they do they burn out much quicker than the originals. Be nice if someone could come up with a way to be able to fit newer cd laser types.

Yes, the chinese parts are simply crap, not worth a penny!

Agree that it would be very nice if someone comes up with reliable, quality lasers again. Philips must have all required documentation and maybe machines for building there tank like all metal lasers. :-)

As an example: Technics in Japan used the original machines to revive the famous SL-1200 series turntables.

Pat
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 151
Bronze Member
Pat replied on Mon, Nov 9 2020 8:29 AM
B&O official service partners can still repair it - the solution is to order from B&O cd mechanism for BS3200 and use the lens only, what’s the problem ...
Ferdinand
Top 150 Contributor
Malmö, Sweden
Posts 535
Gold Member
I just had my BS9000 fixed / refurbished with new parts; laser, hinges and some other stuff.

Via B&O certified service partner in Sweden.

I didn’t had the impression that there were or could be availability issues with the laser. Note I have a late MKIII (?) BS9000

Repair was absolutely worth it, listening to CDs now as I am working from home, I even bought a new CD the other day!

Weebyx
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,208
Bronze Member
Weebyx replied on Mon, Nov 9 2020 11:11 AM

Pat:
B&O official service partners can still repair it - the solution is to order from B&O cd mechanism for BS3200 and use the lens only, what’s the problem ...

If this is possible, then there is no problem at all with the MK3's and updated mk2's

I just wonder what the price are for the original 3200 complete mechanisms, I guess the come with the PCB mounted also ? The BS9000 only got the laser and the plastic housing, so that was rather "cheap"

But good news that 3200 lasers are available.

/Weebyx

Weebyx
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,208
Bronze Member
Weebyx replied on Mon, Nov 9 2020 11:11 AM

Pat:

If this is possible, then there is no problem at all with the MK3's and updated mk2's

I just wonder what the price are for the original 3200 complete mechanisms, I guess the come with the PCB mounted also ? The BS9000 only got the laser and the plastic housing, so that was rather "cheap"

But good news that 3200 lasers are available.

/Weebyx

Pat
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 151
Bronze Member
Pat replied on Mon, Nov 9 2020 12:28 PM
Yes, they are more expensive but there’s no other solution.

Let’s see for how long B&O will have the BS3200 CD mechanisms in stock.

It’s so annoying they don’t have original ( cheaper ) cd mechs for BS9000 anymore. It looks like they just simply don’t care ... “iconic product”.
matador43
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,359
Bronze Member
matador43 replied on Mon, Nov 9 2020 12:42 PM

Weebyx:

Maybe not the much. I mean if a BS9000 laser fail today and is replaced by a "still in stock" BS3200 laser - whatever the price - it's good.
But when it will fail next time? Wouldn't the 3200 laser part be out of stock too?

Also why didnt B&O just advertise "Laser replacement OK" whatever the series 3200-3000 or 9000 since its the same part?

All this leading to BS900 being scrapped (for the joy of all of us, right?)

(to others) And yes, Chinese replacement lasers, may be crap, but there cheap and available so as long as the keep my scratchy 9000 running, I'm fine wit that. 

BenSA
Top 75 Contributor
Durban, South Africa
Posts 1,399
Bronze Member
BenSA replied on Mon, Nov 9 2020 12:57 PM

I am sure the prices of the 9000s will start to fall as people realise the difficulty in getting lasers. Soon they will be worthless. I can't imagine the stock of the BS3200 lasers will last much longer either especially if people are buying them to repay their BS9000s as well. Since B&O don't make CD players anymore, they should at least try and keep spares for the past players especially the 9000. I guess the need the old systems to no longer be viable so that people buy their products and solutions.

OlivierC
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 126
Bronze Member
Maybe instead of managing stock of spares for legacy products, they might redirect to a reliable source of compatible lasers.

I understand this is a too much small business for B&O but it might be interesting enough to some of their business partners/ambassadors. Whistle

Even better, they might provide the specs of the laser to them, then it would be up to the third party to find/contract a suitable replacement.

Regards.

Olivier
BenSA
Top 75 Contributor
Durban, South Africa
Posts 1,399
Bronze Member
BenSA replied on Mon, Nov 9 2020 1:30 PM

OlivierC:
Maybe instead of managing stock of spares for legacy products, they might redirect to a reliable source of compatible lasers.

I understand this is a too much small business for B&O but it might be interesting enough to some of their business partners/ambassadors. Whistle

Even better, they might provide the specs of the laser to them, then it would be up to the third party to find/contract a suitable replacement.

Regards.

Olivier

I think this would be a great idea. Highly improbable that they would do that but one can always hope! Soundsmith sell the beogram cartridges under licence from B&O, why can't someone supply lasers under licence from B&O

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts 3,932
Founder

Because they are from Philips. They haven't produced lasers for the past 10 year at least.

It's correct that you can use the laser from the BS3000/3200 drive  (did it myself a few times the other way around), but it comes complete with board/drive etc, which you don't use. What happens with that? Just thrown in the bin?

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,359
Bronze Member

Beobuddy:
It's correct that you can use the laser from the BS3000/3200 drive  (did it myself a few times the other way around),

REALLY? BS9000 MK3 defective laser owners will hunt you, find you, and insult you unless you remove your post right now! Big Smile.

Weebyx
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,208
Bronze Member
Weebyx replied on Mon, Nov 9 2020 5:24 PM

Beobuddy:

Because they are from Philips. They haven't produced lasers for the past 10 year at least.

It's correct that you can use the laser from the BS3000/3200 drive  (did it myself a few times the other way around), but it comes complete with board/drive etc, which you don't use. What happens with that? Just thrown in the bin?

Beosound 4(maybe not all, but the ones I have seen), also uses the same laser ;)

/Weebyx

seethroughyou
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 975
Bronze Member
Thank you for all the advice.

I’ve seen Mk3 units with a reseller called morethanav and they assure they me that have spare lasers in stock and the units sold come with 24 month warranties.

Present: BL90, Moment, Core, BL6000, CD7000, 7000, Essence Remote.

Past: BL1, BL2, BL8000, BS9000, BL5, BC2, BS5, BV5, BV4-50, Beosystem 3, BL3, DVD1, Beoremote 4.

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL