Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

Eclipse 2nd Generation Finally launched

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 113 Replies | 2 Followers

Emil Jensen
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
714 Posts
Bronze Member
Emil Jensen posted on Mon, Nov 2 2020 1:43 PM

It arrived :D 

https://www.bang-olufsen.com/da/fjernsyn/beovision-eclipse?variant=beovision-eclipse-positioning-floor-stand

Nothing special or new,

Now with the GX panel, and E-ARC,

Nothing more than expected.

Beovision Harmony 77" 2nd Gen, Beolab 5, Beolab 17, Beosound 1, Beoplay M3, Beoplay H6, Beoplay Earset, Beoliving Intelligence 

All Replies

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,568 Posts
Bronze Member
355f:

So what one seems to be saying is is only difference between version 1 and 2 apart from a few audio formats is that the panel is upgraded, so in the same way Mk 1 users are stuckwith no upgrade path- so this applies to the mark 2 and yet the price is higher??

We need to let the dust settle a bit. The new one seem to have a more shallow cut out for the new screen but also a pole that might be a vesa mount. If the latter is true then any screen should be possible to fix to the soundcenter with adapters at least.

But there might be hard to fit or course but if it can be elevated a bit and the gaps be covered by for example a rubber or plastic3d printed fill out yea why not.

The connection to the soundcenter is probably not so special so as long as B&O updates the app it should work. And if they want to I’m sure they could also release the app for Android and other platforms to make more TVs universally possible to use (especially for the stage for example).

It makes it easy for B&O to in the future change plans if necessary.

Beolab 50, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9 3rd Gen, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Eclipse Gen 2 55", BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
2,017 Posts
Bronze Member

Yes, and this is the point that some are missing or at least playing down (setting aside whether you call these BV's or not)

Of course we all understand that there are limits to future proofing in todays tech landscape.

But the point with the Eclipse is that having spent 7 grand on a sound centre and stand, it would be nice if there is some commitment that the panel could be swapped out in a few years....instead of being told that a new one probably wont attach / fit.

Of course, in the old world of Beovisions, we never saw the modularity / separate parts, and given tech moved not as fast, these questions were less relevant.

But now we can see the assemblage of an Eclipse, I do think its fair to ask if the 7k spent on the non-panel will be of any use in a few years....

The design of the Harmony is better in this respect, but not the Eclipse.

355f:

So what one seems to be saying is is only difference between version 1 and 2 apart from a few audio formats is that the panel is upgraded, so in the same way Mk 1 users are stuckwith no upgrade path- so this applies to the mark 2 and yet the price is higher??

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
3,589 Posts
Gold Member
I’m all for it being called a BeoVision, but it could have equally been called a BeoCentre

Didn’t they have a BeoCentre 6 and then renamed it a BeoVision 6 or the other way around

That did a few things like audio and video.

I’m looking forward to seeing an install video to see how different it is, and I’m with Michael, i bet the STB bracket crew have got their thinking caps on.
moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
5,295 Posts
Bronze Member

355f:

I was told by my dealer the reason the v2 is (slightly) higher in price is that it has even more 'custom parts' for the rear plate etc. Which is slightly worrying for being able to swap out the panel in the future, which was the original idea of Eclipse v1.

Was the Eclipse ever really designed to be upgradable? I reckon this was just dealer talk from assumptions made? I can't see how it can. As panel design changes, the top part has to reflect the fake panel in the sound center.

Everyone keeps talking - rather casually for my liking - about being able to "swap out" the panel, but has this ever really been a thing? It was much-touted for Eclipse v1, but seems to have been forgotten (by v1 owners) that this was even a sales point.

mbee
Top 75 Contributor
Paris, France
1,803 Posts
Bronze Member
mbee replied on Sat, Nov 7 2020 7:56 AM

A lot of people are saying that TV tech is moving quicker now than I, the good old years of CRT. While this has been correct in the early 2000’s, I cannot see why a C7 panel is clearly outdated compared to a CX/GX. I’m not sure that everybody complaining about getting the latest panel would see any picture quality difference in real life.

For me TV tech is slowing and everything that is new today concerns lower price of manufacturing for the TV brand and marketing hype, not huge picture quality improvements.

355f
Top 500 Contributor
cambridge/london
101 Posts
Bronze Member
355f replied on Sat, Nov 7 2020 9:31 AM

moxxey:

355f:

I was told by my dealer the reason the v2 is (slightly) higher in price is that it has even more 'custom parts' for the rear plate etc. Which is slightly worrying for being able to swap out the panel in the future, which was the original idea of Eclipse v1.

Was the Eclipse ever really designed to be upgradable? I reckon this was just dealer talk from assumptions made? I can't see how it can. As panel design changes, the top part has to reflect the fake panel in the sound center.

Everyone keeps talking - rather casually for my liking - about being able to "swap out" the panel, but has this ever really been a thing? It was much-touted for Eclipse v1, but seems to have been forgotten (by v1 owners) that this was even a sales point.

The upgrade path has always been a dark art as far as the dealers are concerned.We do know that OLED has more problems than later generation plasma or LCD, I know of two owners who have had eclipse panels replaced under warranty and many you have first generation LG that are now unrepairable after less than four years.

We are told that B&O keep parts for five years-so why would one buy a V1 now with a four year old panel?

I am just a bit concerned with the shape of the cutout  matching the contour of the GX and the 'custom' parts' and app, It seems to me this is juts an eclipse version 2 with a panel update this makes it a bad choice in my view

I wonder what the cost alone from B&O to replace a vers 1 panel if its faulty, far more than a new GX i expect

I recal when buying BS3 - it had the benefit of being able to attach different panels.  In reality it would control the panasonic panel of the day and that was it.

It seems more profiteering that engineering in this solution, I mean how much effort does it take to machine a new cutout and visa mount

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
5,295 Posts
Bronze Member

mbee:

A lot of people are saying that TV tech is moving quicker now than I, the good old years of CRT. While this has been correct in the early 2000’s, I cannot see why a C7 panel is clearly outdated compared to a CX/GX. I’m not sure that everybody complaining about getting the latest panel would see any picture quality difference in real life.

Well, it is a 2016 panel, effectively and relatively 'old' in terms of OLED technology. Plus you don't get some app support, such as Apple TV and so on.

But, no-one is now saying that the Eclipse v1 is outdated or, dare I say it, eclipsed by v2. Let's put this in some context please. All I'm saying is, this 'able to swap out the panel in future' was made in to a relatively big thing when the Eclipse v1 was launched - it was discussed frequently. And it can't. Question is, can the v2? We're again emphasising how the panel can be swapped out in future, but can it? We're in danger of treading the same path again!

My only issue with the Eclipse v1 was dealers were flogging it for over £7000 up until a couple or so months ago, even though it was a 4-year-old panel - if you found a C7 on-sale in 2020, you'd probably pick if up for £200, or a fraction of the original cost.

355f
Top 500 Contributor
cambridge/london
101 Posts
Bronze Member
355f replied on Sat, Nov 7 2020 9:59 AM

mbee:

For me TV tech is slowing and everything that is new today concerns lower price of manufacturing for the TV brand and marketing hype, not huge picture quality improvements.

I agree but the longevity of the panels is much lower and reliability more suspect than more established technologies  So B&O should either make replacement panels cheap so that a customer who has spent 7K is not stuffed, do B&O care? well they should the have lost to many customers already

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
3,589 Posts
Gold Member
moxxey:

Well, it is a 2016 panel, effectively and relatively 'old' in terms of OLED technology. Plus you don't get some app support, such as Apple TV and so on.

But, no-one is now saying that the Eclipse v1 is outdated or, dare I say it, eclipsed by v2. Let's put this in some context please. All I'm saying is, this 'able to swap out the panel in future' was made in to a relatively big thing when the Eclipse v1 was launched - it was discussed frequently. And it can't. Question is, can the v2? We're again emphasising how the panel can be swapped out in future, but can it? We're in danger of treading the same path again!

My only issue with the Eclipse v1 was dealers were flogging it for over £7000 up until a couple or so months ago, even though it was a 4-year-old panel - if you found a C7 on-sale in 2020, you'd probably pick if up for £200, or a fraction of the original cost.

I agree with you and I thought the same thing. Are we making the same purchasing decisions four years on from eclipse 1 with potentially the same result four years down the track?

I was personally told at a dealership that the eclipse 1 was upgradable.

I think the Gen 2 is using more of the VESA connection I’m guessing but i haven’t seen the installation video yet. Even if it is, will panels later on have them in a different position that they wont sit so elegantly on the sound centre?

That’s where Michael makes a valid point, would you buy a new car with old wheels?

With the eARC on Gen 2 does that mean that there is just a need for the HDMI now and not the HDMI AND the Ethernet connection between the soundcentre and the LG TV?
Mikipidia
Top 50 Contributor
1,905 Posts
Gold Member
The 65” is around €2000 cheaper compared to the v1 65”

New: Beovision Harmony, Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beolab 17's, Beolab 3's, Beosound 9000 mk3, Beosound Stage & LG, Beosound 2, Beoplay M3, Beoplay A1, Beoplay H4 gen 2, Beoplay E8 3.0

Mikipedia on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Mikipedia

mikipedi4 on Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/mikipedi4

Old: Beovision Eclipse, Beolab 1's, Beolab 2, Beovision 10-46, Overture 2300, beolab 8000's, Beolab 4000's, Beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
2,017 Posts
Bronze Member
mbee:

diisign.com

OLED technology has slowed down in its year by year improvements no doubt.

If I were buying an Eclipse v2, I wouldn’t worry too much. Come 4 years time, micro LED will be a bit more of a practical proposition.

And any desire to upgrade the Eclipse will be an academic discussion
Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
2,017 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey:

Well indeed- was the ability to swap panels really a feature of the v1?

Just because it was discussed here doesn’t make it so

Nothing in the release coverage of the Eclipse back in 2016 suggested such modularity.

And no one on here has reported their v1 with the C7 panel being upgraded to a C9 for example!?!

So I don’t know why this question persists.

I’m sure there will have been a few dealers who said “sure, that should/could be possible “...but I’ll say again- if the upgrade ability of the v1 was an inherent part of the Eclipse original design, this would have been emphasised by B&O at launch.

mawheele
Top 500 Contributor
258 Posts
Bronze Member

Sandyb:

For a TV that was not shipping until May of 2017, I'm struggling to see what is 2016 about it.  With the same argument, you could say the GX is 2019 technology. And you are right about the OLED technology, the real updates were in the A9Gen3.

Also, Genuine Top Tip: You want AppleTV, get an Apple TV. Better privacy, security and the silicon in an AppleTV 4K blows away the A9.

mawheele
Top 500 Contributor
258 Posts
Bronze Member

Sandyb:
Come 4 years time, micro LED will be a bit more of a practical proposition.

Nailed it. Micro LED is the next refresh cycle if you already have an Eclipse or OLED panel today. Not sure it'll be 4-years however. Your 2021 iPad and MacBook Pros will undoubtedly have it and I can't imagine TV's are too far behind.

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
5,295 Posts
Bronze Member

mawheele:

Sandyb:

For a TV that was not shipping until May of 2017, I'm struggling to see what is 2016 about it. 

The panel. It was designed in 2016. That's what it's "about". I never said anything about a launch.

You're like the most aggressive Eclipse v1 owner I've experienced. Almost like we're doing this to wind you up. Incredible.

It's a 4-year-old TV. If someone wants to spend good money on that now, fair enough. But please stop posting in late 2020 that it somehow matches the quality of the GX, which is 2019 technology, yes.

Page 6 of 8 (114 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL