Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

BeoVision Contour

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 237 Replies | 2 Followers

Tayne
Not Ranked
37 Posts
Bronze Member
Tayne posted on Fri, Oct 30 2020 7:21 PM

Have I missed something, or has this new TV already been discussed somewhere?

All Replies

beocool
Top 25 Contributor
Alankomaat
6,147 Posts
Gold Member

1990:

@beocool

I hope STB makes an easel stand!

In any case it is hard to find a 40” LCD at all. Let alone a 40” LG with a chip capable of handling the B&O app. I guess a 40” won’t be in the cards. But remember that B&O now offers every OLED size that LG is making (48/55/65/77/88). 48 is pitched more as a desk top gaming screen than a tv. Times are changing.

You're definitely right. I just looked online and most offerings seem to be in the 55" and 65" size. The 40" TV's seem to have almost disappeared from the market. There are quite a few 32" offerings, though.

Vähintään yhdeksänkymmentä prosenttia suomalainen! 

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
2,092 Posts
Bronze Member
I’d rather buy the LG oled GX 77” than this.
Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
1,847 Posts
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Fri, Nov 20 2020 8:06 PM

Not sure if you have seen John from Manchesters video on the Contour.

He says you cannot use a regular Stage and "make" a Contour.

Dont shoot the messenger.

moxxey:

Mikipidia:

They take the alu edge off and slide it in the frame, same for the panel. I've seen it yesterday. if this is ''custom'' then I guess yes, but it's literally the stage with out the alu frame and nothing else is different. Even the holes for the front cover are the same, inside it also has the two lights you see on the Stage.

I'll ask him again. I guess dealer's are lacking all the information they need so far. I wonder if they can buy a Contour without the Stage though.

Mikipidia
Top 75 Contributor
1,655 Posts
Gold Member
I’ll try and find out more, maybe part of the removing of the alu edge damages it in a way that it’s not reversable?! Let’s see what i van find out

New: Beovision Harmony, Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beolab 17's, Beolab 3's, Beosound 9000 mk3, Beosound Stage & LG, Beosound 2, Beoplay M3, Beoplay A1, Beoplay H4 gen 2, Beoplay E8 3.0

Mikipedia on YouTube (finally Stick out tongue )

https://www.youtube.com/c/Mikipedia

Old: Beovision Eclipse, Beolab 1's, Beolab 2, Beovision 10-46, Overture 2300, beolab 8000's, Beolab 4000's, Beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
1,523 Posts
Gold Member
TWG replied on Sat, Nov 21 2020 9:00 AM

Is the OS still uncustomized and you'll see the flashy LG Web OS?

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
1,847 Posts
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Sat, Nov 21 2020 9:18 AM
TWG:

Of course yes.

Why would it be any different?
TWG
Top 75 Contributor
1,523 Posts
Gold Member
TWG replied on Sat, Nov 21 2020 10:03 AM

Sandyb:
TWG:

Of course yes.

Why would it be any different?

Because it's Bang & Olufsen and it's not understandable that they at least don't even ask LG to customize the user interface into Bang & Olufsen style.

For me as a customer that's the reason I didn't buy the new generation LGs. It gives the impression of a half baked product that didn't get enough love or where development endend after 90% of the product.

kuyttendaele
Top 150 Contributor
606 Posts
Founder

TWG:

Because it's Bang & Olufsen and it's not understandable that they at least don't even ask LG to customize the user interface into Bang & Olufsen style.

For me as a customer that's the reason I didn't buy the new generation LGs. It gives the impression of a half baked product that didn't get enough love or where development endend after 90% of the product.

B&O is waaaaaay to small to request such adaptations of LG screens. I guess adding the B&O app in the OS was done after numerous and long negotiations. Adapting the core OS for an extremely limited amount of screens is just not reasonable for LG. We're talking about some 1000's screens on a total volume of probably a couple of million that LG produces.

We're living in a totally different world than 30y ago. At this point there are 1 or 2  factories supplying the whole world with LG screens and B&O is just a tiny customer of LG. The fact that B&O is paying (more or less) the regular price for the screens says it all.

crossbytje
Top 500 Contributor
197 Posts
Bronze Member

But Loewe, also supplied by LG, is able to make their own interface.

The difference is that Loewe, like all other OLED screen brands uses a screen from LG, while B&O uses an LG TV as a whole and just connects their soundbar to it.

It's a definite dealbreaker to not have any surround capabilities in such a pricey package from B&O! 

Beolit 12 - Beolab 4 pc (dead now) - Beoplay H5 - Beolab 9 - BeoRemote One BT - Beoplay M3

Steph
Top 100 Contributor
France
1,049 Posts
Bronze Member
Steph replied on Sat, Nov 21 2020 10:49 AM

Hi Karel,

Are you happy with your Beovision 14 (the 46' version, if i remember)?

Aren't you going to trade it for the new Beovision Contour? Big Smile

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
1,847 Posts
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Sat, Nov 21 2020 11:29 AM
crossbytje:

But Loewe, also supplied by LG, is able to make their own interface.

The difference is that Loewe, like all other OLED screen brands uses a screen from LG, while B&O uses an LG TV as a whole and just connects their soundbar to it.

It's a definite dealbreaker to not have any surround capabilities in such a pricey package from B&O!

Beolit 12 - Beolab 4 pc (dead now) - Beoplay H5 - Beolab 9 - BeoRemote One BT - Beoplay M3

All true, but the compromise is that the Loewe smart platform (having nothing to do with webOS) is not very good.

Yes it’s not bright and garish, but it has nowhere near the complete set of apps that webOS does. It’s very European centric.

And thats what would happen if B&O went down the same route.

Of course, i went through the same thought process when the Eclipse first came out, but i came to quickly understand the practical and pragmatic choices that the B&O LG partnership implies.

And i think the noise on the forum (amongst brand fans i suppose) about the lack of a B&O dominant UI / interface has definitely become quieter in the years since the Eclipse launched. As such, i think most here (of course not all) seem ok with a BeoVision having the LG interface largely.

Removing the surround capabilities on the Contour is a shame, but is just about justifiable on what is supposed to be a stand alone unit.

If they removed the Powerlink on the larger Beovisions, then we’d be in much more serious territory, but i dont expect that to happen, so i’m not worried that the Contour sets a precedent.
moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
5,211 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Sat, Nov 21 2020 11:42 AM

Sandyb:

Removing the surround capabilities on the Contour is a shame, but is just about justifiable on what is supposed to be a stand alone unit.

It's also an entry-level B&O TV and we forget this. The more features you add, the more it adds to the cost, which we seem to forget, too.

I'm happy with the Contour as it stands. Good design, reasonable price, does what we need for a standalone TV. Lower expectations and it's a fine TV. We also spend so long debating something which is on the market. It's not going to change. Surely we have better things to be doing?

If you want more, move up to the Eclipse.

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
1,847 Posts
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Sat, Nov 21 2020 12:11 PM
moxxey:

It's also an entry-level B&O TV and we forget this. The more features you add, the more it adds to the cost, which we seem to forget, too.

I'm happy with the Contour as it stands. Good design, reasonable price, does what we need for a standalone TV. Lower expectations and it's a fine TV. We also spend so long debating something which is on the market. It's not going to change. Surely we have better things to be doing?

If you want more, move up to the Eclipse.

Of course, there are options.

But they haven’t released a BV without power link before, so some debate around its omission should be expected.

But yes, they can get away with it (to an extent one hopes) on something pitched as entry level/ stand alone.

Anyway, I don’t need to change my BVs. None of the existing designs work for me though.

Absent a sound centre I can use with a flush wall mounted OLED, my next tv won’t be a BV.

Mikipidia
Top 75 Contributor
1,655 Posts
Gold Member
Sandyb:

Not sure if you have seen John from Manchesters video on the Contour.

He says you cannot use a regular Stage and "make" a Contour.

Dont shoot the messenger.

So I looked in to this, it is possible to “make” your own contour with an existing stage but B&O won’t let you. The only time you can order parts separately is for warranty calls, otherwise you have to order the whole thing at once or not at all. So physically nothing is stopping you other than B&O not letting you.

Sorry for the confusionSmile

New: Beovision Harmony, Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beolab 17's, Beolab 3's, Beosound 9000 mk3, Beosound Stage & LG, Beosound 2, Beoplay M3, Beoplay A1, Beoplay H4 gen 2, Beoplay E8 3.0

Mikipedia on YouTube (finally Stick out tongue )

https://www.youtube.com/c/Mikipedia

Old: Beovision Eclipse, Beolab 1's, Beolab 2, Beovision 10-46, Overture 2300, beolab 8000's, Beolab 4000's, Beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

kuyttendaele
Top 150 Contributor
606 Posts
Founder
Steph:

Hi Karel,

Are you happy with your Beovision 14 (the 46' version, if i remember)?

Aren't you going to trade it for the new Beovision Contour?

I have the 40” version. No Contour for me as I can’t connect my BL8000’s. More leaning towards the Eclipse for a complete surround setup with the addition of BL6000’s.
Page 14 of 16 (238 items) « First ... < Previous 12 13 14 15 16 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL