Beomaster 2400-2 Keeps blowing fuse

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Hydroweston14
Not Ranked
2 Posts
Bronze Member
Hydroweston14 posted on Thu, Oct 29 2020 3:18 PM

Hello everyone, My Beomaster 2400-2 suddenly stopped working.

I plugged it in to listen to a disk only for it to have no sign of life, even know it was working perfectly less than 2 weeks ago. I decided to open up the bottom panel, and I find that one of the two fuses, the lower one relative to the back of the amp, was blown. I changed it with another one that I had that was the same size, only difference being that it was 2 amps instead of 1,6. I put the cover back on, plug it into the wall and switch on the main power button, only for it to blow instantly. The voltage selector on the bottom is set to 220v, which I assume is fine considering the voltage range of my country is 220 to 240v. The amp also worked just fine on that setting for the last 40 years.

I'm honestly clueless about what the issue is, and if it would be better to send it to a professional, but I don't know any from where I'm from (northwestern france), also the fact that our president just announced another lockdown makes things a little complicated...

I am not ready to throw the thing away cause my dad gave it to me and he has had it since 1982, so obvious sentimental value.

Awaiting your responses with impatience, 

Leo

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,459 Posts
Gold Member
Verified by Hydroweston14

Hi Leo,

It is very likely that old age has finally taken its toll on the Beomaster 2400. However, it can be brought back to life. As you pointed out, it is about 40 years old. The original electrolytic capacitors inside have very likely all gone past their rated tolerances. They are no longer keeping voltages under control so your Beomaster is failing. On most Beomaster 1900 and 2400 units I have restored almost every electrolytic capacitor is out of tolerance. Replacing them is not super difficult but there are over 60 of them so you need to be a pretty ambitious DIY type owner to take the task on yourself.  

I am in the USA but there are Beoworld restorers in Europe that could certainly help you out. 

In the meantime don't keep trying to use the Beomaster until you can get it worked on.

-sonavor

All Replies

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,459 Posts
Gold Member
Verified by Hydroweston14

Hi Leo,

It is very likely that old age has finally taken its toll on the Beomaster 2400. However, it can be brought back to life. As you pointed out, it is about 40 years old. The original electrolytic capacitors inside have very likely all gone past their rated tolerances. They are no longer keeping voltages under control so your Beomaster is failing. On most Beomaster 1900 and 2400 units I have restored almost every electrolytic capacitor is out of tolerance. Replacing them is not super difficult but there are over 60 of them so you need to be a pretty ambitious DIY type owner to take the task on yourself.  

I am in the USA but there are Beoworld restorers in Europe that could certainly help you out. 

In the meantime don't keep trying to use the Beomaster until you can get it worked on.

-sonavor

Hydroweston14
Not Ranked
2 Posts
Bronze Member

Thank you, I think it would be best for me to find a pro to do the work for me, as I am not great with electronics.

I assume I'd have trouble soldering a single cap let alone 60, so I think it would be wise for me to save up and have someone who know's what they're doing to do it for me.

Best regards, -Leo

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,459 Posts
Gold Member

The number of soldering tasks means there are that many de-soldering tasks. I would hate to try and desolder electronic components without a good de-soldering tool.

-sonavor

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL