rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,487 Posts
Bronze Member
Michael posted on Wed, Oct 28 2020 10:33 PM
Not sure if this will be a double thread as I tried to post just now but I didn’t get an email about it being in moderation so I just re write as it seems lost :).

I helped a friend acquire a BeoGram 3500 years ago and now it has started distorting. We believe the needle needs to be replaced. It has a MMC 4 cartridge today and I believe the SMMC4 is the way to go. Probably the cheapest way right? At about 200 dollars it seems reasonable. Is it otherwise worth trying to rebuild the current one? SoundSmith seems not to do it for that model.

What other options is there? Orthofon or something else? I believe he wants the sound to be as it is now and I read that the SMMC4 might be a bit brighter and distinct.

Looking forward to any advice that could benefit him! Thanks :)

Beolab 50, Beolab 20, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9i, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Avant 55, BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

All Replies

Homersaurus
Not Ranked
14 Posts
Bronze Member

I suggest you have a look at this post  https://forum.beoworld.org/forums/p/6926/61835.aspx#61835 entitled Beogram 3500 & MMC4 needle question.  This covers a good discussion of the options available.

Personally, I would recommend the refurbishment route as this will start with an initial examination of your cartridge. The result of this will determine if you refurbish, refurbish and upgrade, or replace.

I, and many others, have used FJS to perform this task although I understand Soundsmith will refurbish some MMC cartridges.

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
12,159 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Fri, Oct 30 2020 9:17 AM

Seeing as you are in Sweden, I suggest you contact Hans Henrik
pickupservice@outlook.dk

Martin

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL