Beovox Penta with Beolink passive

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 11 Replies | 2 Followers

oim1212
Not Ranked
15 Posts
Bronze Member
oim1212 posted on Tue, Oct 20 2020 11:30 PM

Hey guys I am new in this forum and very exited to be a part of it.

I have a question! I have a pair of beolab 3 and a beolab 2 connected to a Beocenter 2. I recently bought some Beovox pentas with beosystem 5500 for super cheap and I would like to us them with my current system. Maybe this is just a stupid setup but since I'm new to the B&O world and only 18 years old I love testing! So is Beolink passive my best option or is it to weak to drive the Pentas! And could I also connect the Beograd 5500 turntable to the Beolink passive. I know that the Beomaster is really good but I would like to use it with the newer system.

sorry for the newbie questions and thanks !

All Replies

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
2,092 Posts
Bronze Member
The Beogram 5500 first not have own RIAA amplifier. It needs to be connected to a Beomaster with RIAA amplifier. Your beomaster 5500 has RIAA. Your Beosound 2 does not.

You can buy a separate RIAA for connecting the Beogram 5500 to any system.

The pickups (mmc1, mmc2, mmc3, mmc4 and mmc5) for the Beogram is not produced anymore, and it is very expensive to get fixed.

Do yourself a favor and get a ProJect turntable instead.

Your Penta speakers most likely needs refoaming, because the surround goal rings on the midranges are rotten. It is a fairly easy and cheap job to do yourself. And the will sound MUCH better after.

You have pretty good setup with your Beolab 2 and Beolab 3’s, so I would suggest you test the Pentas with the Beosystem 5500, before you start implementing them with your system.

I have a pair of Beolab Pentas, and I will be selling the amplifiers from them if you are interested in converting yours to active Pentas.

Stoobietoo
Top 150 Contributor
Exeter, Devon, UK
515 Posts
Gold Member

I think a Beolink Convertor may work with your setup and link everything together. The Beolink Convertor connects older systems without Masterlink to a system with and your BeoCenter 2 has Masterlink.

I am just not sure if you Beosystem 5500 is compatible, but I would think it very likely is. I used this set up with my Beosytem 4500 with Master Contol Link (MCL) and your Beosystem 5500 has MCL from the looks of things.

This way you are using the whole system as one integrated unit.

Stoobie

oim1212
Not Ranked
15 Posts
Bronze Member
oim1212 replied on Wed, Oct 21 2020 11:38 AM

Thanks for the response, it has a mmc2 pick up and played fine when I tested it with the pentas. I knew that the mid range would most likely need a refoam so I have already ordered replacements (rubber for long term). I have a steady hand will try to refoam my self. I have tested them and I really like the sound (cannot wait to hear after refoam) and the design. How much are you selling them for ? 

oim1212
Not Ranked
15 Posts
Bronze Member
oim1212 replied on Wed, Oct 21 2020 11:50 AM

Thanks for the answer !

Stoobietoo:

I think a Beolink Convertor may work with your setup and link everything together. The Beolink Convertor connects older systems without Masterlink to a system with and your BeoCenter 2 has Masterlink.

I am just not sure if you Beosystem 5500 is compatible, but I would think it very likely is. I used this set up with my Beosytem 4500 with Master Contol Link (MCL) and your Beosystem 5500 has MCL from the looks of things.

This way you are using the whole system as one integrated unit.

Stoobie

I was thinking it would work, but I still wonder if the Beolink passive is to weak to drive the pentas to their full potential. And how would I get the whole system integrated, without having to adjust the sound from the different systems individually. 

Stoobietoo
Top 150 Contributor
Exeter, Devon, UK
515 Posts
Gold Member

So, I think I got a bit ahead of myself there. My Beosystem 4500 has Powerlink Sockets so I assumed that your Beosystem 5500 had Powerlink sockets too (I see from the manual it doesn’t). With the Beolink Convertor you would have plugged ALL your speakers into the BS5500, and connected to the Beocenter 2.

Then when the Options on each are set correctly you will be able to control the volume as one and listen to the BS5500 or the Beocenter 2 through the speakers and control the sound all in 1.

I don’t know enough about connecting Beolab (active) speakers to non Powerlink sockets, but the BS5500 can drive Beolab Pentas (via Speakerlink I think it is called) so I assume with the correct adapter, you could plug in your Beolab 2 to the BS5500 and then plug your Beolab 3s, into that.(So just an adapter for the Beolab 2 connection).

Steve, at sounds heavenly, is probably your best bet regarding that.

What should then happen is you will use the BS5500 as the main system and the Beocenter as another source on the system for listening to CDs, DVDs or TV (if one is connected)!

No Beolink Passive required in this setup.Hope that make sense!

Stoobie

Normal 0 false false false EN-GB X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

oim1212
Not Ranked
15 Posts
Bronze Member

Stoobietoo:

So, I think I got a bit ahead of myself there. My Beosystem 4500 has Powerlink Sockets so I assumed that your Beosystem 5500 had Powerlink sockets too (I see from the manual it doesn’t). With the Beolink Convertor you would have plugged ALL your speakers into the BS5500, and connected to the Beocenter 2.

Then when the Options on each are set correctly you will be able to control the volume as one and listen to the BS5500 or the Beocenter 2 through the speakers and control the sound all in 1.

I don’t know enough about connecting Beolab (active) speakers to non Powerlink sockets, but the BS5500 can drive Beolab Pentas (via Speakerlink I think it is called) so I assume with the correct adapter, you could plug in your Beolab 2 to the BS5500 and then plug your Beolab 3s, into that.(So just an adapter for the Beolab 2 connection).

What should then happen is you will use the BS5500 as the main system and the Beocenter as another source on the system for listening to CDs, DVDs or TV (if one is connected)!

Stoobie

Okey thanks the second option seems the best . Now the question is how i connect my beolab 2 to the beosystem 5500. Thanks for the respons! Will have to contact Steve then!

oim1212
Not Ranked
15 Posts
Bronze Member

Stoobietoo:

Stoobie

Okey thanks the second option seems the best . Now the question is how i connect my beolab 2 to the beosystem 5500. Thanks for the respons! Will have to contact Steve then!

oim1212
Not Ranked
15 Posts
Bronze Member

Stoobietoo:

Stoobie

styppen
Not Ranked
Slovenia
74 Posts
Silver Member

Beolab 2 is an active subwoofer and has only POWERLINK inputs/outputs. 

The easiest would be to plug the Beolab 2 to the RCA marked with PRE-OUT on the 5500. However, I'm not entirely sure whether Beolab 2 needs a trigger signal. I bet Steve will be able to answer this one.

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
2,092 Posts
Bronze Member
Using the Beolab 2 with Pentas is a horrible experience.
oim1212
Not Ranked
15 Posts
Bronze Member
leosgonewild:

Using the Beolab 2 with Pentas is a horrible experience.

Okey is that so! May reconsider using the system together then. Thanks!
Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL