This post has 16 Replies | 1 Follower

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
Posts 1,888
Gold Member
Steve at Sounds Heavenly Posted: Fri, Oct 16 2020 10:59 AM

Hi Beoworlders,

Bang & Olufsen have very kindly gifted me a 2nd generation Beosound A1 to review and I would be interested to hear your views on which speakers you would like me to compare them against?

My initial thoughts are that they would often be used as computer speakers, so Beolab 4PC or Beolab 3 would make for an interesting comparison.

I also have some ideas for novel ways to use the A1 that I will be sharing in future videos.....if you have an interesting or unusual situation where you use the A1, please let me know!

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,063
Bronze Member
Compare it to the A1 1st gen
lawrencejmcook
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 460
Founder
In the pre-COVID days when I frequently travelled I would take a pair of A1s with me to have (not so) basic stereo in my hotel room. Mounted on a pair of Twelve South Compass stands they were amazing!

I also set them up like this in the master bathroom of my temporary home in Budapest. There was a shelf just deep enough for the stands.
Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,888
Gold Member

leosgonewild:
Compare it to the A1 1st gen

John at B&O Manchester has covered A1 mk.1 vs A1 mk.2 better than I could do here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHsVIApIqAg

Yes, these are superb speakers when stereo paired, I tend to favour the "Ambient" present, which is nice and clear over a wide range of music.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

matador43
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 984
Bronze Member
matador43 replied on Fri, Oct 16 2020 1:16 PM

Steve at Sounds Heavenly:
I also have some ideas for novel ways to use the A1

Hi Steve,

Looking forward to hear more about that! I have myself a secret plan to use two A1's in a very special way. U
nfortunately for me, my plan need very special bonds with a B&O dealer, thing, I lack.

Mine is in the bathroom, connected to an airplay box. It delivers a very nice and powerful sound in it.

Mikipidia
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,571
Gold Member
Mikipidia replied on Fri, Oct 16 2020 1:39 PM
Oi, what about me Stick out tongue

Review:

https://youtu.be/FOQ8mXK8XEI

Sound comparrison:

https://youtu.be/lO__X_rHV-c

There you go for the ones that are interested.

And I’d say, go for the unusual Steve, you have a nack for that Big Smile

New: Beovision Harmony, Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beolab 17's, Beolab 3's, Beosound 9000 mk3, Beosound Stage & LG, Beosound 2, Beoplay M3, Beoplay A1, Beoplay H4 gen 2, Beoplay E8 3.0

Mikipedia on YouTube (finally Stick out tongue )

https://www.youtube.com/c/Mikipedia

Old: Beovision Eclipse, Beolab 1's, Beolab 2, Beovision 10-46, Overture 2300, beolab 8000's, Beolab 4000's, Beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,888
Gold Member

Hi Michael,

Sorry I was about to update my post with your great reviews as well! Wink

I can certainly promise some unusual reviews on the A1.....(let's just say I plan to properly test the claim that it is IP67 waterproof) Geeked

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

trackbeo
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 409
Bronze Member
trackbeo replied on Fri, Oct 16 2020 7:39 PM

How about heresy?  Compare it with the Bose SoundLink Revolve (the smaller one, not the Plus).  Slightly cheaper, slightly larger, and slightly heavier,  Not as ugly as might be expected.  Single driver instead of two, but the add-on acoutrements help: passive radiators augment the mid-low frequencies and a sound-spreader (don't call it an acoustic lens!-) in the base.  Only IPX4, but does it make up for that lack of water *proof*-ness in other ways?  You might think, "couldn't be more different" -- but are they really???

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,888
Gold Member

Hmmmm,

Thanks, but I'm not sure I could bear to review a Bose speaker? Big Smile

The test I have just done on the A1 would have absolutely ruined the Bose speaker - if you want to know whether the A1 survived intact, all will be revealed in the next few days...... Whistle

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

OldJack
Top 200 Contributor
Split
Posts 327
Gold Member
OldJack replied on Fri, Oct 16 2020 8:58 PM

What difference makes A1 1st gen  against A1 2nd gen ? 

(I am using pair of A1 first gen.,stereo paired in my sailboat cabin).

Beogram 6500 MMC2,Beosound Ouverture,2xBeolab 8000,2xBelolab 4000,Beolab 2,Beolab 7.2,Beo4 navi, 2xBeocom2,Serene,Beosystem 3 mk3,H6 2nd gen,Earphones E8,A8,A9 keyring,Beoplay A1,Bottle opener,Beoplay A2 active(thanks Botty)Wine Set(thanks Botty),4Ktv Samsung 55'',Beolab 7.1 with 42''Panasonic plasma,,Oppo udp-203, LinTronic.

trackbeo
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 409
Bronze Member
trackbeo replied on Fri, Oct 16 2020 11:09 PM

OldJack:
What difference makes A1 1st gen  against A1 2nd gen ? (I am using pair of A1 first gen.,stereo paired in my sailboat cabin).
Depends upon whether you listen in heavy weather.  (Not whether you listen to "Heavy Weather".)  2nd gen is IP67 rated as Steve said above: 30 minutes @ 1 meter submersion (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code), as Steve will test!  More generally, even B&O are willing to compare for you:

https://www.bang-olufsen.com/en/speakers/beosound-a1?variant=beosound-a1-2nd-greymist#comparisonSection

Steve at Sounds Heavenly:
Thanks, but I'm not sure I could bear to review a Bose speaker?
Aww, bummer.  Well then, go soak your head.  Literally.  If you haven't yet -- in your infinite wisdom, you may have done this already -- go ahead and put the A1 back in the water, stick your own head under, and listen to how you hear it playing!  That's assuming you haven't already borrowed an underwater mic from some marine scientist friend...  We await your qualitative review with bated breath: "a slight loss of macro detail is detected above 50 percent volume", you know, stuff like that?  "A slight loss of conscious thought occurred at greater than 90 seconds."  Big Smile

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,888
Gold Member

Hi trackbeo,

Only joking about the Bose of course! Big Smile I had some really bad experiences of their speakers in recent years, but I know they have improved recently.

OldJack: If your sailboat has a cabin, either 1st gen or 2nd gen A1 speakers will be a good choice (although you can't stereo pair a 1st gen speaker with a 2nd gen speaker).

My sailing experience is a bit less protected from the elements, hence the need for waterproofing (even when not sticking my head or the speaker under the water!) Erm..

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 13,424
Bronze Member

I wonder if there wil be a Beobrew second gen.....based on the second gen A1  ;-)

https://www.pocket-lint.com/gadgets/news/bang-and-olufsen/141130-bang-and-olufsen-s-new-product-is-beer

MM 

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,888
Gold Member

Hi Beoworlders,

As promised, I would like to invite you to come and join me on the largest man-made lake in Western Europe to find out if Bang & Olufsen's 2nd generation Beosound A1 portable speaker really is waterproof! https://youtu.be/SGj4RXxOSUw

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

OldJack
Top 200 Contributor
Split
Posts 327
Gold Member
OldJack replied on Sat, Oct 17 2020 1:48 PM

In boat cabin,have pair of A1 first gen.stereo paired.Now I need one more A1 2nd.gen. for cockpitCool

Beogram 6500 MMC2,Beosound Ouverture,2xBeolab 8000,2xBelolab 4000,Beolab 2,Beolab 7.2,Beo4 navi, 2xBeocom2,Serene,Beosystem 3 mk3,H6 2nd gen,Earphones E8,A8,A9 keyring,Beoplay A1,Bottle opener,Beoplay A2 active(thanks Botty)Wine Set(thanks Botty),4Ktv Samsung 55'',Beolab 7.1 with 42''Panasonic plasma,,Oppo udp-203, LinTronic.

Jaffrey2230
Top 200 Contributor
Washington DC
Posts 444
Silver Member
A pair of A1s on 12South Compass stands is genius for for desktop system. I can’t think of anything as cool especially since you can charge them using the computers USB ports. Would be perfect paired to iMac!

My B&O Home: 

• Beolab 8002 + Beolab 2 + Beosound Core with Essence Remote (Office)
  • Beolab 6000 + Beolab 11 + Beosound Core (Bedroom)
  • Beoplay A9 Mk2 (Living Room)
  • Beosound 1 with wireless dock (Portable)
  • Beoplay M5 (Dining)
  • Beoplay H95 (Focused listening, travel)
  • Beoplay H9 (3rd gen) (retired)
  • Beoplay P6 (Portable)
  • Beotime wall clock (hallway entrance)
  • Beoremote X (better than Eclipse and Halo Big Smile)

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,888
Gold Member

Hi,

Yes, that would look and sound superb!

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL