rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 46 Replies | 1 Follower

MichaelFrilund
Not Ranked
14 Posts
Bronze Member
MichaelFrilund posted on Fri, Oct 16 2020 1:13 AM

Hello everyone,

I am a new member, located in Finland. Not sure if this has been asked several times before, so please do not get upset with me.

What do you think about a streamer from another brand with Beolabs, especially Naim ND 555, PS Audio Direct Stream DAC, Hegel HD 30 and Primare Pre35 DAC? I do not want a Beovision in the room the Beolabs will be in.

Should be connected with a digital cable?

Thank you

Michael

All Replies

Jaffrey2230
Top 200 Contributor
Washington DC
444 Posts
Silver Member

I agree with tour post on many counts. The difference really is in the UX beyond a certain point. The Naum Uniti is a good product because I like the UX. However, the Core is pretty much all you need. I can’t hear the difference above a Core. Now my speakers are not the most revealing.

My B&O Home: 

• Beolab 8002 + Beolab 2 + Beosound Core with Essence Remote (Office)
  • Beolab 6000 + Beolab 11 + Beosound Core (Bedroom)
  • Beoplay A9 Mk2 (Living Room)
  • Beosound 1 with wireless dock (Portable)
  • Beoplay M5 (Dining)
  • Beoplay H95 (Focused listening, travel)
  • Beoplay H9 (3rd gen) (retired)
  • Beoplay P6 (Portable)
  • Beotime wall clock (hallway entrance)
  • Beoremote X (better than Eclipse and Halo Big Smile)

MichaelFrilund
Not Ranked
14 Posts
Bronze Member

Lumin U1, what do you think? I could order a streamer from Sweden where there are more brands to choose from.

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
1,797 Posts
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Fri, Oct 16 2020 6:29 PM

I doubt any / many here have tried a Lumin.

Decide whether you want a streamer (i.e transport) only, or a streamer / DAC.

Me, I go for the streamer / DAC.

But I'm pretty sure you'll be happy with a streamer alone, especially if, as you say, you're not overly fussy about musical presentation etc.

Many of the units that people have replied with (including the Linn I'm going to use) are pretty damn expensive. And yes, while the 50s (or 90s) are also a lot of money, that doesnt necessitate spending multiple thousands again.

If you're happy with Deezer, and using the B&O app / Halo, then given the above, a Core may be plenty good enough. After all, a fair few people on here have remarked that the Core is surprisingly capable, although the 50/90s may sound better with something "better".

Anyway, as I'm not prepared to use the B&O app, and wanted Roon - a 3rd party unit was always going to be better for me.

MichaelFrilund:

Lumin U1, what do you think? I could order a streamer from Sweden where there are more brands to choose from.

MichaelFrilund
Not Ranked
14 Posts
Bronze Member

PS Audio's Directstream DAC seems to be a good one, and not terribly expensive if compared to Naim for example. And it gets software updates so it would be like having a new one about twice a year.

seethroughyou
Top 100 Contributor
UK
832 Posts
Bronze Member
Why would you want a DAC?

The Beolab 50/90s have one of the best/most transparent DACs in the world?
Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
1,797 Posts
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Fri, Oct 16 2020 7:04 PM

I've tested a Core with 50s, and a Linn streamer with 50s.

Much preferred the Linn combo.

But thats just me.

seethroughyou:

Mr 10Percent
Top 150 Contributor
So West, Its Now East
487 Posts
Bronze Member

seethroughyou:

there are some good reasons why you would do that;-

1. Aries 1 had a compatibility issue early on with the BL90s rendering it unusable

2. I believe you can get better “sounds” via the DAC-ACD and in my opinion a more “analogue” sound

3. The Vega DAC I use can also act as a very good pre-amp for my record deck and the SPdif output of the Oppo

4. I never liked using the USB connects even though it should be the best. Clunky to control volume and the sound was not the best for me.

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
1,511 Posts
Gold Member
TWG replied on Sat, Oct 17 2020 9:29 AM

Maybe have a look outside the regular hifi box:

A completely different approch for home use can be one of the professional DJ media players from Pioneer and Denon. The Denon players have two variants, the regular and the "m" variant which has a motorized turntable platter for some kind of vinyl feeling.
You'll have great local control / search functions. No app required, bomb proof reliable machines (hard- and software), digital output, multiple source options.
The Denon machines feature dual layer configuration, which means that you can feed your Beolab 50/90 with Digital output 1 and feed another B&O system with Digital or analog output 2 to allow multiroom usage. Of course both layers can play different tracks at the same time.
And the Denon players can stream from Tidal, Beatport, Soundcloud and Beatsource.

Denon SC6000
https://www.denondj.com/sc6000-prime

Denon SC6000m (identical to the SC6000 but with motorized platter)
https://www.denondj.com/sc6000m-prime

Denon SC5000:
https://www.denondj.com/sc5000%20prime-sc5000primexus

Denon SC5000m: (identical to the SC5000 but with motorized platter)
https://www.denondj.com/sc5000m-prime-sc5000mprimexus

Pioneer CDJ3000:
https://www.pioneerdj.com/en-gb/product/player/cdj-3000/black/overview/#info

After playing with some of these there are only very few hifi digital playback sources that comes close to such an easy and fast local operation:
- Sony HAP-Z1es
- Hermstedt Hifidelio (old and maybe very unknown)

MichaelFrilund
Not Ranked
14 Posts
Bronze Member

Interesting idea, thank you! Would not have thought of this myself.

At first I said to myself it will not work, but I would not mind giving it a try.

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
1,511 Posts
Gold Member
TWG replied on Sat, Oct 17 2020 3:29 PM

Sorry I forgot:

You can install a SSD into Denon SC6000 and SC6000m to have your music ready on the device. There's a cover underneath the unit.
That way you would have something like a Beosound 5 in a space ship outfit. Smile

MichaelFrilund
Not Ranked
14 Posts
Bronze Member

I was suppose to edit, but clicked something about verifying... anyways, ignore that if it comes as a notification. Sorry.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,424 Posts
Bronze Member

TWG:

That way you would have something like a Beosound 5 in a space ship outfit. Smile

However, you should know that the 50’s/90’s - due to the processing of the ‘sound’ - will add a delay to the music.....especially if you want to use these in the best sound settings (narrow mode....).

This will be annoying, if not unbearable, because of the gap between you operating these DJ devices and you hearing the music.

Teo sorts of audio gear that simply don’t work together.

(You can find these things asked and answered i different threads on the forum).

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

MichaelFrilund
Not Ranked
14 Posts
Bronze Member

Nej, går icke!

Only for stereo music, possibly with a Beovision if I must have a TV in that room.

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
1,511 Posts
Gold Member
TWG replied on Sun, Oct 18 2020 7:44 AM

Millemissen:

TWG:

However, you should know that the 50’s/90’s - due to the processing of the ‘sound’ - will add a delay to the music.....especially if you want to use these in the best sound settings (narrow mode....).

This will be annoying, if not unbearable, because of the gap between you operating these DJ devices and you hearing the music.

Teo sorts of audio gear that simply don’t work together.

(You can find these things asked and answered i different threads on the forum).

MM

If you plan to DJ I agree with you partly (as you would use headphones in combinations with the speakers). These sorts of audio gear maybe don't work good together if you plan to DJ... BUT this ISN'T the case in this thread:

Michael wants a digital music source for his Beolabs and by choosing one of those Denon or Pioneer players you'll get simply one of the best sources you could use as they are easy to operate directly on the device, very reliable and don't require apps for control. If he just listens to music the delay of the Beolabs is no problem as he will have the same delay / latency with EVERY other device he feeds the Beolabs with.

All talking aside: if you can live with such a device at home it is worth trying out for yourself. Afterwards you can decide whether it's usable and fits your specific needs.

After playing with such a device I'm wondering why nobody puts this user interface and operating style in a standard hifi / rack form for home use.
The only device I know was the Sony HAP-Z1es. Beats every other device in terms of usability but can not stream (except internet radio).

btw: I think that B&O could do something like that, too and in a very attractive package as you won't need 80% of the DJ features. But please with reliable software (Imagine a Pioneer DJ player acting up on the software side on a concert with 100000 people...). Wink

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,424 Posts
Bronze Member

The thread already at page 3...

If you (still) want to hear my take on this, you jow can see my post - that went into moderation and was delayed - at the end of Page 1 - Oct 16 2020 12:19 PM.

As an addition to this: 

If you however, want things like MQA or playback of files in e.g. a 24/352 container (for whatever reason) or if you want to flavour what you send to the 50’s/90’s with the characteristics of a certain DAC, you can not go the Core route.
You will have to use the analog input taking in count that you - this way - might get a higher noice floor than by using a pure digital connection.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Page 3 of 4 (47 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL