rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 65 Replies | 1 Follower

dahiyas
Top 500 Contributor
United States
145 Posts
Bronze Member
dahiyas posted on Tue, Oct 13 2020 5:47 AM

This weekend I started on trying to restore a Beomaster 8000. 

Couple of issues before I started -

1. Three buttons missing on the panel - Martin found the replacement buttons in his dungeon and sent over the same.

2. The system has the standby light on but does not come out of standby.

3. The volume dial makes a scratching sound when turned. Looks like something is out of alignment.

So last 2 weeks were spent reading all Beomaster 8000 related messages to prep for the project. Rudy's (Belover) detailed blog was really helpful to get started.

I will also do a complete recap while trying to fix the above issues.

All Replies

dahiyas
Top 500 Contributor
United States
145 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi Martin,

I had a spare LF353N. Replaced 2IC3 and no change. 

btw - The symptoms seems to be consistent with the issue documented by you earlier. I have not seen the MPX light come on and silence on Auto Tune.

Anything else I can check before trying to source 1IC2 (CA3189E) ?

Thanks

dahiyas
Top 500 Contributor
United States
145 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks Martin. Finally !! The problem was 1IC2 (CA3189E). FM works fine now. I also got to see the MPX light :-).  

Last issue - With volume at 0, I can still hear music from the speakers. Any suggestions ?

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,701 Posts
Gold Member

That is normal with the Beomaster 8000 volume control.  If the input source is coming in at a higher than average signal level then the Beomaster 8000 zero volume level will not stop the signal from continuing on.  The sound should be faint.  You can adjust down the input source levels for Phono, Tape 1 and Tape 2 using the trimmers on the left side of the Beomaster 8000 if those are the sources you are hearing.  There is no adjustment for FM sources. The signal level for FM appears to be much higher than in the 70's and 80's as you can't match the FM level with the other sources anymore.

-sonavor

dahiyas
Top 500 Contributor
United States
145 Posts
Bronze Member
dahiyas replied on Thu, May 20 2021 12:18 AM

Thank you for the information John. That's helpful. With this I can mark this project as closed (Better half will be as pleased I am Big Smile). It took 8 months but well worth the effort. Learnt a lot of new things on the way.

John/Martin - Once again THANK YOU for your guidance/pointers in helping resolve the issues.

dahiyas
Top 500 Contributor
United States
145 Posts
Bronze Member

oh oh...I closed this early...

This morning I tried to use FM and am back to same situation as before with minor changes -

1. In both AUTO TUNE and MANUAL mode, only 1 station is being picked up. In auto tune mode that is also inconsistent.

2. I do see the MPX light coming on for some frequencies. Similarly the signal strength meter does go up on some stations. But there is no sound. In auto mode all is silent, in manual mode just white noise.

Everything was ok when I replaced 1IC2-CA8139E 2 days back.

I did check some voltages - Pin 11 - 11.9V, Pin 12 - 2.8V, Pin 13 - .6V..seem close to expected values.

So problem is somewhere else and it's causing the IC issue ?

dahiyas
Top 500 Contributor
United States
145 Posts
Bronze Member

All good again. Cable Connector on 9P84 had come off. I assume when I was closing the keyboard it must have got pulled. I had to reroute the cables and problem fixed. Hopefully don't have to open the beast again.

Thanks !!

Page 5 of 5 (66 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL