rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 7 Replies | 1 Follower

kimhav
Top 500 Contributor
Malmo, Sweden
300 Posts
Gold Member
kimhav posted on Sun, Oct 11 2020 9:34 AM

What is the latest and current version of the webOS for the Eclipse and is the webOS the exact same version which LG provided to their units or is the BnO version a special version?

All Replies

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,723 Posts
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Sun, Oct 11 2020 11:17 AM

Its pretty standard as I understand. However, the soundsettings part is special to B&O.

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Homeoffice: M3, Beocom 2  Library: A6, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5, Essence remote  Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay P2, Beoplay Earset

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,568 Posts
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Sun, Oct 11 2020 11:41 AM
Hiort:

Its pretty standard as I understand. However, the soundsettings part is special to B&O.

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen : Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom : M3 Library : A6, Beocom 6000 Bedroom : M5 Office : Beocom 2 Travel : Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay P2

Are you sure? Some people argue that the eclipse monitor has a custom firmware with the B&O app implemented into the OS and not an added app as in stage and harmony versions where a regular monitor is used. I also want to know :).

Beolab 50, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9 3rd Gen, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Eclipse Gen 2 55", BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

mawheele
Top 500 Contributor
258 Posts
Bronze Member

Michael:
Are you sure? Some people argue that the eclipse monitor has a custom firmware with the B&O app implemented into the OS and not an added app as in stage and harmony versions where a regular monitor is used. I also want to know :).

You are correct. B&O is using an older rev of the LG firmware, currently at 3.6 when the LG variant is at 5.8. To answer your question though, WebOS is identical minus the revisions made in the latest firmware. Unfortunately, LG only updates WebOS with each new year of TVs and does not update previous versions with the latest annual hardware releases.
I also have a C9 Panel and to be honest, there is nothing noticeable in the later WebOS, other than Disney+. And with the CX, again there is nothing really new as the platform has mostly been enhanced for gaming, whilst in other areas for movies its gone backwards (brightness) in compromise to the gaming enhancements. 

This is what we're missing out on - I'm personally most concerned about the Security updates:

[04.70.06]  
For 2017 OLED TVs (W7, G7, E7, C7, B7)  
1. Support TrueHD audio format through HDMI  
2. Technicolor Expert mode  

For 2017 Super UHD 4K TVs (SJ)  
1. Technicolor Expert mode  

For 2017 Ultra HD 4K TVs (UJ)  
1. Add an Apply to all input feature in Color Management Setting  
2. Improving HDD detection speed  
3. Add function for maintaining compatibility of remote controller  

[04.70.10]  
1. To improve Store mode OLED afterimage issue in Europe  

[04.70.30]  
1. To improve Youtube VP9 HDR Contents SDR processing issue  
2. To improve Smart Retune Deleted Reservations issue  
3. To improve OLED Model Screen Saver occurrence issue  
4. To improve issue of canceling favorite setting channel in European Standby Channel Update  

[04.70.65]  
1. Bug Fixes – Playing Dolby Vision contents over HDMI  

[04.70.85]  
1. Apply the GDPR terms.  

[04.70.95]  
1. Support BBC iPlayer 4K DASH Live  
2. Italy TivuSat Wrong channels positioning  

[05.80.04]  
1. Improvement regarding Netflix usability have been applied.  
2. Addition of satellite channels and feature updates in certain countries. (Russia/CIS country)  
3. IPv6 connection feature on/off can be selected from Network/Wired Connection settings.  
4. also, minor bugs are fixed.  

[05.80.10]  
1. To improve that the subtitle is not displayed when HbbTV app in on.  

[05.80.15]  
1. To improve Intermittent no audio issue during watching LiveTV.  

[05.80.25]  
1. To Improve color issues at HDMI 2160p 50Hz input  

[05.80.35]  
1. Security Update. 

[05.80.55] 
1. Add HEVC logo to user guide 
2. fix unknown device toast pop-up issue by Galvanic Corrosion 

[05.80.60] 
1. Fix the failure of access to certain website in the browser

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,568 Posts
Bronze Member
mawheele:

You are correct. B&O is using an older rev of the LG firmware, currently at 3.6 when the LG variant is at 5.8. To answer your question though, WebOS is identical minus the revisions made in the latest firmware. Unfortunately, LG only updates WebOS with each new year of TVs and does not update previous versions with the latest annual hardware releases. I also have a C9 Panel and to be honest, there is nothing noticeable in the later WebOS, other than Disney+. And with the CX, again there is nothing really new as the platform has mostly been enhanced for gaming, whilst in other areas for movies its gone backwards (brightness) in compromise to the gaming enhancements.

This is what we're missing out on - I'm personally most concerned about the Security updates:

[04.70.06] For 2017 OLED TVs (W7, G7, E7, C7, B7) 1. Support TrueHD audio format through HDMI 2. Technicolor Expert mode For 2017 Super UHD 4K TVs (SJ) 1. Technicolor Expert mode For 2017 Ultra HD 4K TVs (UJ) 1. Add an Apply to all input feature in Color Management Setting 2. Improving HDD detection speed 3. Add function for maintaining compatibility of remote controller [04.70.10] 1. To improve Store mode OLED afterimage issue in Europe [04.70.30] 1. To improve Youtube VP9 HDR Contents SDR processing issue 2. To improve Smart Retune Deleted Reservations issue 3. To improve OLED Model Screen Saver occurrence issue 4. To improve issue of canceling favorite setting channel in European Standby Channel Update [04.70.65] 1. Bug Fixes – Playing Dolby Vision contents over HDMI [04.70.85] 1. Apply the GDPR terms. [04.70.95] 1. Support BBC iPlayer 4K DASH Live 2. Italy TivuSat Wrong channels positioning [05.80.04] 1. Improvement regarding Netflix usability have been applied. 2. Addition of satellite channels and feature updates in certain countries. (Russia/CIS country) 3. IPv6 connection feature on/off can be selected from Network/Wired Connection settings. 4. also, minor bugs are fixed. [05.80.10] 1. To improve that the subtitle is not displayed when HbbTV app in on. [05.80.15] 1. To improve Intermittent no audio issue during watching LiveTV. [05.80.25] 1. To Improve color issues at HDMI 2160p 50Hz input [05.80.35] 1. Security Update. [05.80.55] 1. Add HEVC logo to user guide 2. fix unknown device toast pop-up issue by Galvanic Corrosion [05.80.60] 1. Fix the failure of access to certain website in the browser

Interesting and very worrisome as it seems B&O have given up on software for the Tv they still promote as a current model. Scary.

Could one load a real firmware on it and instead load the B&O app? I guess it could work as I believe the hardware is only different in the plastic and chassis design, not the chips and boards. I imagine they realized it’s better to stick with native firmware and load an app instead of a custom firmware image.

As Lg also made their own sound bar (similar to the stage) I believe that the partnership has sunken from the level at which it might have been at from the beginning.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,996 Posts
Bronze Member

Reading this, I could easily use the Eclipse.....if I had to change my tv..

Using only my ATV4K, the OPPO Bluray player and the DVB-T2 tuner of the tv, a version 2017 probably would not make a dufference to the current C/GX model/OS.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,568 Posts
Bronze Member
Millemissen:

Reading this, I could easily use the Eclipse.....if I had to change my tv..

Using only my ATV4K, the OPPO Bluray player and the DVB-T2 tuner of the tv, a version 2017 probably would not make a dufference to the current C/GX model/OS.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Well, as it seemingly lacks security updates since several years and updates to make it work as good as possible I’d say yes you can but why would you accept it not having the updates the manufacturer made for it?

Stan
Top 150 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
798 Posts
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Mon, Oct 12 2020 9:01 PM

mawheele:
Unfortunately, LG only updates WebOS with each new year of TVs and does not update previous versions with the latest annual hardware releases.

Michael:
Interesting and very worrisome as it seems B&O have given up on software for the Tv they still promote as a current model.

Hmm...  Whistle

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL