Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

Beovision Eclipse in late 2020, New version coming?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 102 Replies | 4 Followers

MikkelMumbles
Not Ranked
7 Posts
Bronze Member
MikkelMumbles posted on Mon, Sep 28 2020 9:08 AM

Hi all,

I'm torn between buying a LG CX 65" with a Stage and buying an Eclipse. I'd much rather have a Beovision Eclipse standing around with the possibilities it gives me, and I could even keep using my Beolab 3's.

My main problem is, that I don't really wanna buy and 'old' Oled panel and be stuck with HDMI 2.0.

I already own a Loewe Bild 4, a TV that has only caused trouble and disappointment, since I bought the damn thing, so I need an upgrade that can last me for many years to come and be better than the Loewe. I do own a PS4 and will indeed get a PS5 (maybe even an xbox) and own a AppleTV. Will also need to hook up my turntable.

A B&O store in Denmark told me, that a new-updated Eclipse would surface later this year, however, can I be sure, that it'll happen? And if so, with HDMI 2.1 and maybe even a new panel?

Will appreciate any thoughts on the subject.

All Replies

Emil Jensen
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
589 Posts
Bronze Member

It have been rumored the whole year so it will hopefully come very soon.

The rumors indicate that it will receive a GX panel/tv so there you will have 3 HDMI 2.1 available.

So just wait a bit longer.

Beovision Eclipse, Beolab 5, Beolab 17, Beosound 1 Google assist, Beoplay M3, Beoplay H6, Beoplay Earset 

MikkelMumbles
Not Ranked
7 Posts
Bronze Member

Tak Emil.

Exciting, maybe it's just my inner lack of patience... 

Loewe was just a huge disappointment, so need a change albeit it'll cost me :-/

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
5,159 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Mon, Sep 28 2020 9:45 AM

Emil Jensen:

Probably the fourth 'when is the new Eclipse coming?' thread.

The latest I heard was that B&O was still trying to figure how they can produce an Eclipse using a standard off-the-shelf CX, with the sound bar, plus stand and convince people like us it's really an Eclipse and not just stand + CX + remote.

As the new Eclipse is rumoured to include a non-custom off-the-shelf panel, which will enable an owner or dealer to swap it out for an updated panel in a year or two, this approach is more problematic.

Frankly, although my GX + Stage + BeoRemote is a decent setup, in terms of integration, it's no way near the level of an Eclipse. I'd still prefer an updated Eclipse, but refuse to spend £8K on a 2017 panel.

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
1,066 Posts
Bronze Member
Carolpa replied on Mon, Sep 28 2020 10:19 AM

moxxey:
Emil Jensen:

But then why would the B&o app mention the Eclipse-family? To my knowledge until now there has only be one type!

(click on the picture to see it clearly)

Mikipidia
Top 75 Contributor
1,594 Posts
Gold Member
Very keen eye 😉

New: Beovision Harmony, Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beolab 17's, Beolab 3's, Beosound 9000 mk3, Beosound Stage & LG, Beosound 2, Beoplay M3, Beoplay A1, Beoplay H4 gen 2, Beoplay E8 3.0

Mikipedia on YouTube (finally Stick out tongue )

https://www.youtube.com/c/Mikipedia

Old: Beovision Eclipse, Beolab 1's, Beolab 2, Beovision 10-46, Overture 2300, beolab 8000's, Beolab 4000's, Beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,425 Posts
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Mon, Sep 28 2020 11:10 AM
moxxey:

The latest I heard was that B&O was still trying to figure how they can produce an Eclipse using a standard off-the-shelf CX, with the sound bar, plus stand and convince people like us it's really an Eclipse and not just stand + CX + remote.

As the new Eclipse is rumoured to include a non-custom off-the-shelf panel, which will enable an owner or dealer to swap it out for an updated panel in a year or two, this approach is more problematic.

Frankly, although my GX + Stage + BeoRemote is a decent setup, in terms of integration, it's no way near the level of an Eclipse. I'd still prefer an updated Eclipse, but refuse to spend £8K on a 2017 panel.

I don’t understand why it’s so problematic though.

It’s a sound bar with a pre amp for surround built in. You can buy any Sony, pioneer, Yamaha etc receiver with arc and get the same outputs and integration more or less with hdmi Cec.

B&O has the custom app and implementation between stage as well so the issue should be non existing really. The only thing is puc control and stand control but as this can be programmed in the stand itself through an app this is also already solved.

As far as I can see there should be no problems, rather bigger problem that everyone is waiting and/or have to buy a three year old outdated technology and stick with that for five years or so.

Beolab 50, Beolab 20, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9i, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Avant 55, BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
5,159 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Mon, Sep 28 2020 2:27 PM

Michael:

I don’t understand why it’s so problematic though.

The Eclipse has far more functionality and custom parts than a stand + LG + Stage combination. For example, the screen is designed to sit in the soundbar so it looks like the bottom of the panel goes through the bar and out the bottom.

This kind of design is virtually impossible to create using an 'off the shelf' panel and incorporating future panel changes, so you can drop in a brand new panel in 2-3 years and keep the same design.

I'd love to explain how this is so 'easy' (using the reverse of 'so problematic') to build? The only way around this is to lose the Eclipse shape and simply have a panel, separate bar, affixed to a stand.

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,425 Posts
Bronze Member

moxxey:

The Eclipse has far more functionality and custom parts than a stand + LG + Stage combination. For example, the screen is designed to sit in the soundbar so it looks like the bottom of the panel goes through the bar and out the bottom.

This kind of design is virtually impossible to create using an 'off the shelf' panel and incorporating future panel changes, so you can drop in a brand new panel in 2-3 years and keep the same design.

I'd love to explain how this is so 'easy' (using the reverse of 'so problematic') to build? The only way around this is to lose the Eclipse shape and simply have a panel, separate bar, affixed to a stand.

As a creative myself I never see things as problems really, I just work on solving them :). I honestly think they will find a way and I don't see thinking one out taking three years. We've been discussing this forever as well. Anyway, its up to B&O to come up with something. Not being able to update their own product line in so many years is devastating and honestly pretty weird. 

Emil Jensen
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
589 Posts
Bronze Member

Devastating?!

Name one thing missing from the Eclipse, that you would get in a 2020 tv from Samsung,Philips,Sony or Panasonic?

Beovision Eclipse, Beolab 5, Beolab 17, Beosound 1 Google assist, Beoplay M3, Beoplay H6, Beoplay Earset 

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,425 Posts
Bronze Member
Emil Jensen:

Devastating?!

Name one thing missing from the Eclipse, that you would get in a 2020 tv from Samsung,Philips,Sony or Panasonic?

Uhm?

Airplay 2, apple HomeKit or better processing and everything else that has evolved. Just to name a few. It’s a tv using a three year old panel that is worse than the cheaper newer Lg Oleds.

I am sorry you feel so offended.

andy_js
Top 500 Contributor
The country formerly known as the United Kingdom
181 Posts
Gold Member

The Eclipse has Airplay 2 and basic integration with HomeKit, as do all Airplay 2 compatible speakers.

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
5,159 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Mon, Sep 28 2020 4:47 PM

Michael:

I am sorry you feel so offended.

To be fair, so far you've said you don't believe B&O stockpiled old LG panels (when we said they were custom parts), casually said you 'solve problems :)' and then a lack of updates from B&O with the Eclipse is 'devastating' (as if it's easier for you to do this than B&O) and now claim the Eclipse doesn't have features it has always had :)

Michael, I suggest dropping out of these Eclipse discussions as they will offend as you keep putting your foot in it.

As I said from the start, it's actually not easy to take the idea of the Eclipse - which is fantastic - and then replace it with a more 'off the shelf' part, yet keep a design which looks like a custom design and user-updatable in the future.

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,425 Posts
Bronze Member
andy_js:

The Eclipse has Airplay 2 and basic integration with HomeKit, as do all Airplay 2 compatible speakers.

Actually only for sound, and it’s not the tv it’s just the beocentre.

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
5,159 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Mon, Sep 28 2020 4:48 PM

Michael:

Actually only for sound, and it’s not the tv it’s just the beocentre.

These replies are becoming more and more bizarre!

AirPlay is primarily for streaming audio and the sound center component is the only one B&O controls. If you really need to stream from your iPhone to your TV, just get an Apple TV or similar. Like most people own. They are under £200.

Alternatively, just use the apps on the TV, such as YouTube or BBC iPlayer etc etc.

And if you wait for an updated panel, you'll get the Apple TV app. Obviously the fact B&O uses an older 2017 panel does restrict what they can support via the panel itself (ie. no Apple TV app).

Page 1 of 7 (103 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL