Powerlink for Beomaster 5500

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 8 Replies | 2 Followers

BillNieder
Not Ranked
12 Posts
Bronze Member
BillNieder posted on Sun, Sep 27 2020 12:01 PM

I have a Beomaster 5500 with defective not repairable power amplifier, How can I modify the BM to create a powerlink output to connect to MCL 2p?

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

solderon29
Top 150 Contributor
U.K.West Midlands
728 Posts
Gold Member
Verified by BillNieder

If you look at the circuit diagram of the Beomaster 6500 ,you will see that it's essentially the same output stage as the '5500,but it has powerlink outputs too.

If you adapt your '5500 accordingly,you can run the signal and trigger cables out of the Beomaster and on to the input of the MCL2p via a  5x pin plug.The connections for the Din plug can be found in the MCL2p manual,but if it's not on site here,I have a copy somewhere.

The MCL2P amp will switch on and off in tandem with the BM5500,and although it's not as powerfull as the original output stage in the BM5500,it will be a neat solution to the problem?

Nick

All Replies

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
1,893 Posts
Gold Member

Hi 

No need for any modifications, you can use the RCA Pre Out sockets of the Beomaster 5500 to eitherBeolab speakers or to Beolink Passive/MCL2P via a trigger cable.

Please feel free to get in touch via my sponsor link below if you would like details of the cables required.

Kind regards Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Founder of Sounds Heavenly Cables and Brand Ambassador for Bang & Olufsen

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

BillNieder
Not Ranked
12 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi Steve,

thanks for your response.

However your suggestion does not help as there is no signal at the preamp out because the power amplifier is not working.

Kind regards

Hartmut

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
1,893 Posts
Gold Member

Hi Hartmut

Thanks for your reply. The pre amp outputs should still work if the power amp

fails, so this sounds like something more serious is wrong with the Beomaster.

Kind regards Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Founder of Sounds Heavenly Cables and Brand Ambassador for Bang & Olufsen

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

solderon29
Top 150 Contributor
U.K.West Midlands
728 Posts
Gold Member

The pre-amp outputs on the Beomaster 5500 are in fact tapped off the speaker output Steve,and stepped down in level.

It is possible to modify the internal circuitry of the BM5500 to provide powerlink output's,including providing a "trigger" voltage to power up say a MCL/2P or similar,dare I say "other brand" power amp!

First option surely is to repair the existing power amp?

What has become of it?

Nick

BillNieder
Not Ranked
12 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi Nick,

unfortunately the power amp is not repairable, the printed circuit board itself is damaged. Can yoe provide a scheme how to modify the master circuitry to connect to a MCL2P? So far I connected the input to the power amplifier to earphone voltage splitter. So I can hear with earphones but only at rather low volume.

Kind regards

Hartmut

solderon29
Top 150 Contributor
U.K.West Midlands
728 Posts
Gold Member
Verified by BillNieder

If you look at the circuit diagram of the Beomaster 6500 ,you will see that it's essentially the same output stage as the '5500,but it has powerlink outputs too.

If you adapt your '5500 accordingly,you can run the signal and trigger cables out of the Beomaster and on to the input of the MCL2p via a  5x pin plug.The connections for the Din plug can be found in the MCL2p manual,but if it's not on site here,I have a copy somewhere.

The MCL2P amp will switch on and off in tandem with the BM5500,and although it's not as powerfull as the original output stage in the BM5500,it will be a neat solution to the problem?

Nick

BillNieder
Not Ranked
12 Posts
Bronze Member

Nick, you put me on the right way. I used the powerlink output board of a spare BM6500 and connected it to the BM5500 R253,R453 and ground as well as the trigger wire with R15 (all on PCB3). So I can use the BM5500 now wtith active speakers.

solderon29
Top 150 Contributor
U.K.West Midlands
728 Posts
Gold Member

Goodo,thanks for sharing the info.

Nick

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL