Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

B & O Moment drops network connection (I think)

rated by 0 users
This post has 15 Replies | 1 Follower

delboyuk2508
Not Ranked
Posts 18
Bronze Member
delboyuk2508 Posted: Sat, Sep 26 2020 10:03 AM

Hi

Every so often I turn on our Moment and whatever I want to listen to keeps "pulsing" and no sound comes from speakers, I remove the back and reconnect to the network, sometimes this works and we are back to normal. Sometimes it doesn't work and I have to turm the power off and back on again, it then asks to be reconnected to the network or re-establish a connection to the network, sometimes this works. Worst case senario is I have to do a factory reset to get it to work again.

We are currently using "Powerline Adaptors" I will try swapping them with the ones we use for our TV Youview box and see what happens, I will post back after testing.

If anyone else has had this fault I would be interested to hear what you did to cure it.

Cheers

Seanie_230
Top 50 Contributor
UK
Posts 2,273
Bronze Member
Seanie_230 replied on Sat, Sep 26 2020 11:47 AM
Good morning

Perhaps for a test you could connect it with an ethernet cable directly to your Router and see if you have the same problems.

Or try resetting your Router or WiFi devices sometimes the network can be buggy

Eclipse 65
V1-32
Beosound M5
Essence MK2
BLI

delboyuk2508
Not Ranked
Posts 18
Bronze Member

Unfortunately thats not practical hence the powerline adaptors, I have swapped them for now will wait and see what happens.

mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
Posts 2,026
Bronze Member
mbolo01 replied on Sat, Sep 26 2020 5:06 PM
delboyuk2508:

Unfortunately thats not practical hence the powerline adaptors, I have swapped them for now will wait and see what happens.

By experience, Powerline adapters require regular restart to gain full bandwidth back. Don’t yo have a software to check your PL status and errors?

What you describe looks like quality or bandwidth issues.

BS Moment, BS Core, BG 4002, BC 4500, BS1, BL18, BL19, BL8000 + RCV1, A6, M5, M3, A1, P6 (tks Botty), H5, TR1

laseralex
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 238
Bronze Member
laseralex replied on Sun, Sep 27 2020 5:49 AM

Try the BeoTool app to see what it reports for Network quality:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/beotool/id1068472522

Sources: 2x Beosound Moment • 4x Beosound Essence Mk II
Speakers: 3x Beolab 8000 • 2x Beolab 6000 • 2x Beolab 3 • 3x Beolab 2
Integrated:  1x Beosound 2 • 1x Beosound Level • 4x BeoPlay M5 • 1x BeoPlay A6
Control:  16x* Essence Remote  • 1x Beoremote Halo

* Yes, really! 🤦‍♂️

delboyuk2508
Not Ranked
Posts 18
Bronze Member

Unfortunately we don't do Apple products here its either Android or PC, is there another tool I can try?

mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
Posts 2,026
Bronze Member
mbolo01 replied on Sun, Sep 27 2020 11:47 AM
delboyuk2508:

Unfortunately we don't do Apple products here its either Android or PC, is there another tool I can try?

So I understand your PL adapters don’t have an associated software to configure and control them?

BS Moment, BS Core, BG 4002, BC 4500, BS1, BL18, BL19, BL8000 + RCV1, A6, M5, M3, A1, P6 (tks Botty), H5, TR1

delboyuk2508
Not Ranked
Posts 18
Bronze Member

Nah they are just plug n play. Since swapping them over everything seems to be behaving at the moment, it could be that they have reset themslves when I unplugged them and plugged them back in.

I will post back in a couple of weeks with my update or sooner if it starts playing up again.

Cheers

delboyuk2508
Not Ranked
Posts 18
Bronze Member

Well thought it was ok but it is still playing up I have tried various ways to get it to work and it is only after reconnecting the network does it start working again it seems like the jukebox is not communicating with the sound heart or vise versa.

I swapped the powerline adaptors with our tv Youview box and they are still swapped, the tv works fine.

anybody had the same fault

mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
Posts 2,026
Bronze Member
mbolo01 replied on Fri, Oct 2 2020 8:03 PM
delboyuk2508:

it seems like the jukebox is not communicating with the sound heart or vise versa.

Without details about your network setup, I guess the JukeBox communication path to the SoundHeart is:

Jukebox — WiFi Access point — Ethernet switch/router — Powerline adapter — mains circuit — Powerline adapter — SoundHeart

Which can be erratic if (1) WiFi communication is not good, (2) Powerline communication is not good, (3) both.

If you don’t have a software to manage the Powerline adapters, or to analyze your network, you could use ping tests to check if the network has some weaknesses.

I would place a laptop computer in the same room than the Moment, WiFi 2.4 gHz connected to the same WiFi access point than the JukeBox and I would ping the SoundHeart IP address.

If you see big variance in timings, packet drops, over a 60s text, then you may have network issues impacting your Moment music experience.

You could also do the same kind of test by connecting the laptop computer where the SoundHeart is and ping your default router (usually the ISP box)

Just ideas

delboyuk2508
Not Ranked
Posts 18
Bronze Member

did a ping test this morning and all seems fine, when the problem is there I will do it again and see which one is not communicating.

Thanks for the advice.

delboyuk2508
Not Ranked
Posts 18
Bronze Member

It just dropped the connection again, I logged into my router and saw that the jukebox was not connected wirelessly to our wifi. Once I had reconnected it refreshed the router page it then appeared in the wireless section.

So it appears it is not the powerline adaptors but the jukebox dropping the connection every so often.

Anyone else had the same?

Cheers

mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
Posts 2,026
Bronze Member
mbolo01 replied on Fri, Oct 9 2020 3:58 PM
A Jukebox loosing the connection to the router/switch should not impact the SoundHeart.

If music drops too, it means that the SoundHeart had a connection issue to the music source. You need to identify the common denominator here. Could be the device that acts as the WiFi access point and the Ethernet switch for your network, usually the ISP box or another box if you have installed different kits for different roles

delboyuk2508
Not Ranked
Posts 18
Bronze Member

I'm sorry I don't understand what you are saying.

here is what I think is the signal route:

Jukebox connected by wifi to router, soundheart connected by ethernet cable to powerline adaptor downstairs in living room, powerline adaptor upstairs in office connected by ethernet cable to router.

I assume as the jukebox is connected to the same network as the soundheart, that is how they communicate. When it wouldn't work yesterday the jukebox had dropped its wifi connection to the router, when it started working again it was showing as connected to the router.

Cheers

mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
Posts 2,026
Bronze Member
mbolo01 replied on Sat, Oct 10 2020 2:01 PM

Sorry if that was not clear, I may have wrongly anticipated that you also had sound streaming issues, like sound cuts, on top of JukeBox not being able to properly control the SoundHeart (pulsing) so you are not able to start/control music for example (no sound comes), reason why I was trying to identify to which box they could both connect to. You answered anyway, and you assumed it well, both your JB and SH are connected to your router.

If you don't have music streaming issues, and as you have identified that the JB was disconnecting from the router, it is obvious that either the WiFi signal is not good enough for your JB to sustain the connectivity, or you have hardware issues with one wifi module. As an example, my ISP router WiFi drops all connections every now and then, for some WiFi clients such iPad, reconnection is not as automatic as for others, requiring manual intervention to reconnect.

But to start with, I would try to use an Android or PC WiFi scan tool to identify the quality of the WiFi signal where the JB sits, and, If you are living in a crowded wifi environnent, I would identify the less busy channel and change the router accordingly.

delboyuk2508
Not Ranked
Posts 18
Bronze Member

Thanks for the detailed reply.

I did what you said, downloaded a wifi analyzer, ran it by the Moment and all seemed OK, I have rebooted the router which has changed the channel, I will monitor it and see what happens.

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL