rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 5 Replies | 0 Followers

rob100961
Not Ranked
2 Posts
Bronze Member
rob100961 posted on Tue, Sep 22 2020 11:07 PM

Hi,

I recently bought a pair of Bang & Olufsen S45 Speakers along with a Beovox 500 music system.
The cases of the speakers were cracked and the veneer had lifted and stained, also the bass drivers were in a bad way, so I decided to try and sell the separate parts.
I sold the bass units, but my buyer is saying they're not the originals/genuine Bang and Olufsen speakers. I don't have any reason to think they aren't the originals that were fitted, but if they are I need to apologise and send a refund.

My speakers are marked "X821103" and are marked 6.4ohms on the back of the cone, but my buyer says they should be 4 ohms, and B&O never used 6.4 ohms speakers.

The model of s45 speaker I'm talking about has a split front grill. I would post some pics but they seem to be too large to upload here.

Hopefully you can view my pics on the DIYAUDIO.COM forum at the link below

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/360544-genuine-bang-olufsen-s45-bass-units-x821103.html

You can see from the state of the speakers that they could be old enough to be the originals, and nothing looked like it had been disturbed on the casings, or inside the speaker.

On the other hand I suppose they've been around long enough that someone "may have" had to (or wanted to) swap them out.

Thanks, Rob

All Replies

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
12,075 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Wed, Sep 23 2020 6:13 AM

I cannot see any photos in that link - I would have to sign up.
But make sure you get the terms, types and names right and clear.
You speak about a Beovox 500 system; Beovox 500 was a very small 1960s speaker - doesn't make a system together with more speakers.

Anyway;

There are no less than three versions of Beovox S45;

Beovox S45 (Type 6302) and Beovox S45-2 (Type 6312) - both 1970s three-way with single-part front grill - used 4 Ohms woofers from Peerless.
Beovox S45 (type 6427, which is the newer 1980s two-way with two-part front grills) used 6,4 Ohms woofers. These speakers may not be what people usually refer to when talking about Beovox S45 and repairing/replacing woofers damaged in shipping etc.

So the answer is; YES, they are original woofers.
- But not for the Beovox S45 versions most commonly discussed.

Martin

rob100961
Not Ranked
2 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks Martin, 

They didn't seem like they'd been swapped out, but it's really hard to tell.

I'll contact my buyer, and see what sort of compromise we can come to if he's not happy.

I don't suppose anyone knows what make and model of bass speaker they are?

Thanks, Rob

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
12,075 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Wed, Sep 23 2020 9:06 AM

The brand is unknown.
They were custom produced to B&O for use in Beovox S45 (Type 6427 only) and Beovox S55.
They won't be any good as replacements for the Peerless version used in types 6302 and 6312..

Martin

Neil Ackroyd
Not Ranked
Norwich , UK
6 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi Rob,

I have exactly the same speakers and am looking for the woofer exactly as you are describing as per my avatar.. If your buyer still  isnt interested I would be !

Thanks 

Neil

Neil Ackroyd
Not Ranked
Norwich , UK
6 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi Rob,

I have exactly the same models as you described so they are correct for the S45 (6427). I need a replacement woofer so if you’re buyer isn’t interested I would ! 

Cheers

Neil. 

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL