Beocord 9000 motor working as soon the device comes out of standby

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 14 Replies | 0 Followers

wiresnwires
Not Ranked
26 Posts
Bronze Member
wiresnwires posted on Tue, Sep 15 2020 1:38 PM

I got a Beocord 9000 and wanted to restore it as there are very useful tutorials here and all so from Beolover.

I got the belt kit from Martin and the rubber O rings. Thanks to Beolover's tutorial applying the parts was somewhat easy. 

When that was done (no recap jet) I stated the unit up with a cassette in it. everything works fine exept the motor is working all the time when the device is out from standby.

Is there recap job to be done here? Or is there some other solution?

E.

All Replies

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
11,950 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Tue, Sep 15 2020 1:47 PM

It's normal for the motor to run at all times when not in standby.

Martin

wiresnwires
Not Ranked
26 Posts
Bronze Member

Ok. That's nice news!

Thank you!

wiresnwires
Not Ranked
26 Posts
Bronze Member

Ok. That's nice news!

Thank you!

wiresnwires
Not Ranked
26 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi,

after replacing the motor O rings and cleaning the cassette mechanism there is still one problem. When doing fast forward or fast backward, near the end when the cassette tape is gathered to one side the device stops and goes to standby. When I hold the FFW or FBW switch then it does work till all the tape is in one side. 

It seams that the motor does not have enough power  when the tape is almost on one side. Is this a cap problem? When playing the tape everything is fine. fault only present when doing FFW or FBW

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
11,950 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Wed, Sep 16 2020 1:43 PM

Could be that the motor is running rough in old lubricants, thus trigging the overload circuitry. 

Martin

wiresnwires
Not Ranked
26 Posts
Bronze Member

Hm. I have seen Beolovers videos how he re-lubricates recordplayer motor beari ngs. Its very delicate work. Im not up to it. I think i will leave the motor as is. As the Beocord 9000 wil not be used a lot and performes well exept the end of FFW/FFB.

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
11,950 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Wed, Sep 16 2020 4:41 PM

A partly seized tape reel spindle could also cause this.

Martin

wiresnwires
Not Ranked
26 Posts
Bronze Member

Ok. I have to look into it. If its easier to take apart then i would try it.

Egon

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
11,950 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Wed, Sep 16 2020 6:01 PM

There's a bit of way in there...

Martin

wiresnwires
Not Ranked
26 Posts
Bronze Member

Understood. By now i know to stay away from stuff out of my abilities. I just make things worse.

Egon.

wiresnwires
Not Ranked
26 Posts
Bronze Member

Martin, you are right. It was the tape reel spindles. 

Egon

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,381 Posts
Gold Member

wiresnwires:

Hm. I have seen Beolovers videos how he re-lubricates recordplayer motor beari ngs. Its very delicate work. Im not up to it. I think i will leave the motor as is. As the Beocord 9000 wil not be used a lot and performes well exept the end of FFW/FFB.

Yes, the Beocord 800x-9000 decks have a similar motor and will need their bearings re-infused with oil. The procedure for the bearings is the same but the Beocord motors have a few key differences that make them more difficult.

1. The Beocord motors are housed inside an outer shell that is riveted shut. So the rivets must be cut. A Dremel tool will easily do this and small screws can be used later to replace the rivets. Obviously the holes for the screws will need to be tapped.

2. There is a small circuit board inside the outer housing that has components for the motor control. One of these is a small variable resistor for adjusting the motor speed. If that variable resistor is to be replaced I have not really found a suitable substitute...due to the physical size needed for the space.

3. Once the motor is apart the procedure is the same as Beolover does on the Beogram 400x motors. A big difference here is how to test that the restored motor is back to 100%. With the Beogram 400x motors we can quickly try them out in a Beogram and monitor the speed for many hours as Beolover shows on his graphs. You can't really do that (easily) with the Beocord motors. They will have to be reassembled, put back in a Beocord and the service manual motor speed adjustment run. That works but doesn't give the nice long running speed test to check the stability.

I think it is worth looking into ... restoring the Beocord motors. There are a number of us out here that would get a lot of use out of a fully functional Beocord 800x-9000 cassette deck. 

-sonavor

wiresnwires
Not Ranked
26 Posts
Bronze Member

Thank you Sanovar for that detailed description, I hope that Beolover will soon upload a tutorial how to disassemble the motor. For now I'm just not gonna risk it as Martin said the motor is just for the Boecord 9000 and not interchangeable with other motors if the restaurateur will not be successful. 

But new interesting fault has presented itself. I did not test the beocord prior the LED change on display, so I do not know if this fault was there or not.

I will use Beolovers foto here:

So the last 3 (2,3,4) digits lower segment (d) is dimly lit all the time, all so on standby. I checked the traces , i'I even replaced the according resister for the pin 14. So now I'm thinking that the IC 7  (7-segment decoder) has gone bad.

Unusual for me is that when usually similar fault develops on the 7 segment 4 digit LED watch, all the 4 numbers same digit is off or on. But now there is only 3 last digits segment dimly lit. This is my 3 beocord 9000 display restoration but first fault like this.

Other than that the display works as it should. All the led's are with the same brightness when lit.

If the device is unplugged for a while and then re plugged the fault is not present. Usually it will come back after 10 - 60 seconds after the device has been operational.

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,381 Posts
Gold Member

I think I would suspect the replacement LED devices or their soldering.  Do you have a test jig to verify the segments like I used on the Beolover Blog? 

The reason I suspect the LED devices or their mounting on the display board is because the "d" segment of all four display numbers are tied together for a shared cathode connection.

The numbers have their own separate +5V connection to the anode so if a few individual LEDs are dimmer that the others on the same circuit I would look at those LED components.

-sonavor

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL