rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 67 Replies | 3 Followers

LuffeDK
Not Ranked
76 Posts
Bronze Member
LuffeDK posted on Mon, Sep 14 2020 10:16 PM

Hi all,

I am a first time poster who have enjoyed and learnt a lot from this forum for a while.

I have recently placed an order for a Harmony, 2xBL50, and 4xBL17.

I am also close to getting my hands on an OPPO udp-205 in good condition.

The equipment will soon arrive and I have a few questions related to the “recommended setup” for music and surround sound:

Music

I have ripped my CD collection (FLAC) and thousands of cd’s are on my NAS. I have a few high-res files on my NAS but I will mostly be listening to actual cd’s in the OPPO and ripped Flac files from my NAS (via DLNA).

I am also subscribing to Deezer Hifi.

How good is the DAC in the Harmony compared to the DAC in the OPPO? - do you recommend I use the dedicated audio out from the OPPO and connect it directly to the BL50 versus using the sound center in the Harmony ?

I have other B&O speakers in other rooms and I am using the Deezer/B&O app for the multi room ”experience”. The above mentioned questions are not related to multi-room - I would like to understand how I get the “best” audio quality when listening to music on the BL50 only.

Video/Surround

For video I will connect the OPPO to the Harmony via HDMI - I will be watching movies/concerts on the Harmony only.

Initially, I planned for a 7.0 type setup but I have seen posts where some of you recommend other setups.

My plan is of course to use the BL50 for front left/right.

Due to cosmetic reasons I plan to position the 4xBL17 above the listening position (angled down towards the listening position):

- one set at the “junction/corner” between the side wall/ceiling (side ceiling left/right)

- one set at the “junction/corner” between the back wall/ceiling behind the listening position (back ceiling left/right)

The living room/TV room is approximately 35sqm and the listening position is located in the centre of the room (almost optimal)

Due to the room layout it is difficult to add additional left/right wall speakers (ear level) but I could add another set of speakers on the back wall (left/right ear level). It could be an additional set of BL17 (I need to buy them before they are discontinued) or 2x Balance if they will support this type of setup in the future. Shape is another option....

Will an additional set of back speakers improve the surround experience noticeably?

I apologise in advance for the long first post! 

PS. After having heard the BL90 I would have liked to go for those but they could not fit into the room. Furthermore, I don’t think they match up with the BL17 for surround.

All Replies

LuffeDK
Not Ranked
76 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks again,

I have seen the video but I must have misunderstood. 
I thought left and right speaker in my case was the two BL50’s. 
I reduced them (the 2xBL50) with 2dB and boosted the Harmony with 1db. I “moved” the Harmony centre channel 20cm further away from the BL50. 

I will definitely check out the sound guide - I have lots to learn. 

thanks again!! 

LuffeDK
Not Ranked
76 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks - I need to find a 205 in order to listen to it. 
I haven’t tried the Panasonic for audio/cd yet.

Currently, I am streaming everything from Deezer hifi.
I have tried to stream via the B&O app and from the LG Deezer app.
I have also tried to airplay Deezer Hifi from my iPhone to the Harmony.
- out of the three options it seems like the later has a few dB higher input - it is a bit louder when the Harmony is set at same volume. In the beginning I thought it sounded better...

I know I can increase the dB in the settings (on the B&O app on the Harmony itself) but I haven’t played with that as I guess I can introduce added distortion.

Mikipidia
Top 50 Contributor
2,082 Posts
Bronze Member
LuffeDK:

Thanks again,

I have seen the video but I must have misunderstood. I thought left and right speaker in my case was the two BL50’s. I reduced them (the 2xBL50) with 2dB and boosted the Harmony with 1db. I “moved” the Harmony centre channel 20cm further away from the BL50.

I will definitely check out the sound guide - I have lots to learn.

thanks again!!

No, geoff was talking about the left and right of the speakers inside the harmony/eclipse/avant. They are labeled as bv harmony L and bv harmony R. So you set the bv harmony C to the correct distance and at 0(if that is desired/confirmed with db meter in refference to the other speakers in the speakergroup) you then you check the same for distance and output for the bv harmony L qnd bv harmony R (both of those are also set to center). You then bump the bv harmony C by +1db and the bv harmony L & R bump those down -3db. Then you ad an additional 20cm to the bv harmony C channel for distance.

That is what Geoff said to try, just doing the Harmony C channel for center speaker channel only isn’t “wrong” or “bad” just default and a different way of doing it.

New: Beovision Harmony, Beolab 50's, Beolab 28's, Beolab 18's, Beolab 17's, Beosound Stage & LG, Beosound 2, Beoplay M3, Beoplay A1, Beoplay Portal, Beoplay H4 gen 2, Beoplay E8 3.0

Mikipedia on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Mikipedia

Mikipedi4 on Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/mikipedi4

Mikipedia on Intagram: https://www.instagram.com/mikipedi4/

Old: Beosound 9000 mk3, Beolab 3's, Beovision Eclipse, Beolab 1's, Beolab 2, Beovision 10-46, Overture 2300, beolab 8000's, Beolab 4000's, Beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

LuffeDK
Not Ranked
76 Posts
Bronze Member

Millemissen:

Hej Luffe,

seems to be a nearly perfect setup you’ll have there.

I would not worry too much about additional speakers for that layout.

As long as the surround and the rear speakers are configured as such and angled proper downwards towards your main listening position, you should be good to go.

First get that 7.0 setup up and running - later on you could make some experiments with more speakers, if you feel like wanting more....although I am not sure that you would benefit much from that. You will be able to buy the 17’s further on for quite a long time (if not new, then secondhand).

Please consult the Technical Sound Guide (on the B&O website) for how to set up the speakers, how to configure etc.

With the OPPO 205 you will have a perfect companion for both movie and music listening.

As for pure (2 channel) music listening , I would use the seperate inputs of the BL50’s.

Please have a look on this post from Geoff Martin Sat, Aug 22 2020 9:56 AM here: https://forum.beoworld.org/forums/t/37467.aspx?PageIndex=2

where he is describing how he uses his BL90’s with the OPPO 105 and his BV.

Plenty of options there. Take your time to get it right.

And keep on posting your questions as you go along with the setup - there are several users here, who have similar setups and who definitely would like to share their experiences.

And....you don’t have to apologize for a long post.

It is that sort of posting, that makes it interesting to comment - with a lot of postings here, you often first have to guess, what the real concerns of the writers are.

And welcome to the Beoworld forum :-)

P.S. Don’t forget....the forumusers love pictures of other users setups! 

MM

The BL50,BL17 & Harmony have now been installed and I promised to send a photos

LuffeDK
Not Ranked
76 Posts
Bronze Member

Millemissen:

Hej Luffe,

seems to be a nearly perfect setup you’ll have there.

I would not worry too much about additional speakers for that layout.

As long as the surround and the rear speakers are configured as such and angled proper downwards towards your main listening position, you should be good to go.

First get that 7.0 setup up and running - later on you could make some experiments with more speakers, if you feel like wanting more....although I am not sure that you would benefit much from that. You will be able to buy the 17’s further on for quite a long time (if not new, then secondhand).

Please consult the Technical Sound Guide (on the B&O website) for how to set up the speakers, how to configure etc.

With the OPPO 205 you will have a perfect companion for both movie and music listening.

As for pure (2 channel) music listening , I would use the seperate inputs of the BL50’s.

Please have a look on this post from Geoff Martin Sat, Aug 22 2020 9:56 AM here: https://forum.beoworld.org/forums/t/37467.aspx?PageIndex=2

where he is describing how he uses his BL90’s with the OPPO 105 and his BV.

Plenty of options there. Take your time to get it right.

And keep on posting your questions as you go along with the setup - there are several users here, who have similar setups and who definitely would like to share their experiences.

And....you don’t have to apologize for a long post.

It is that sort of posting, that makes it interesting to comment - with a lot of postings here, you often first have to guess, what the real concerns of the writers are.

And welcome to the Beoworld forum :-)

P.S. Don’t forget....the forumusers love pictures of other users setups! 

MM

The BL50,BL17 & Harmony have now been installed and I promised to send a photos

LuffeDK
Not Ranked
76 Posts
Bronze Member

LuffeDK
Not Ranked
76 Posts
Bronze Member
LuffeDK replied on Thu, Jan 14 2021 10:46 PM

1) I will not comment on the sound quality as the whole system has not been calibrated yet.

2) The Panasonic udp 9000 is connected and I am now able to answer the questions I asked originally in this post. Despite the Panasonic manual clearly states otherwise, it is possible to change the settings in the player settings menu so that video automatically is output via HDMI (to Harmony) and the blu ray player will automatically switch to spdif (directly to BL50) when I am playing a cd. That is an awesome feature.

3) However, I have still not figured out how/if I can use my beoremote one to change the volume when I am connected directly to the BL50 via spdif. Currently, I am using the app to change the volume and I would prefer to use my beoremote one.

4) everything in my system is wired - this also applies to my other rooms with BL18’s, Beosound 35, A9, etc. However, I was not aware that the BL50 had to be connected to the internet and I don’t have an Ethernet plug near the speaker. I am not satisfied with the WiFi performance of the BL50. I have a new UniFi system but the BL50 “jumps” off the 2.4ghz again and again. As per point no. 3 above I need to use the IOS app to change volume and settings on the speaker but that is not possible if the BL50 is unreachable. 
I don’t have this problem when the BL50 is plugged in to LAN.... I would like to have known this when I renovated the house and I am not sure how I will solve this issue now.

5) I am using IR cables to control my ATV4K and the Panasonic. Is this recommended for the ATV or is it better to use BT fir my setup?

6) the Panasonic and my sons Xbox One X is placed behind the wall you see on the last picture. 

7) I am streaming music via Deezer Hifi, I am playing cd’s on the Panasonic, and I am also playing music/flac files stored on my Symology NAS

8) all in all I am happy with the setup but it needs calibration and I need to solve the issue mentioned above.

Thank you for your answering all my previous questions  

PS. I really like the Halo’s - they are really Awesome!!!

Mikipidia
Top 50 Contributor
2,082 Posts
Bronze Member
Looks amazing! Great job!

3. You can use an IR cable with an IR eye attached to the bl50’s and then switch the remote to IR mode and do it that way.

The puc cable gives you the best/most control over the aptv4k.

And yes, the wifi on the 50’s is not great.

Another thought is to play the cd’s through the harmony and make a stereo speaker group for music. That way you never have to switch the remote settings etc.

New: Beovision Harmony, Beolab 50's, Beolab 28's, Beolab 18's, Beolab 17's, Beosound Stage & LG, Beosound 2, Beoplay M3, Beoplay A1, Beoplay Portal, Beoplay H4 gen 2, Beoplay E8 3.0

Old: Beosound 9000 mk3, Beolab 3's, Beovision Eclipse, Beolab 1's, Beolab 2, Beovision 10-46, Overture 2300, beolab 8000's, Beolab 4000's, Beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

LuffeDK
Not Ranked
76 Posts
Bronze Member

Mikipidia:

3. You can use an IR cable with an IR eye attached to the bl50’s and then switch the remote to IR mode and do it that way.

Another thought is to play the cd’s through the harmony and make a stereo speaker group for music. That way you never have to switch the remote settings etc.

I am now playing around with the 2.4ghz channels on the UniFi AP to see if that can improve the WiFi performance of the BL50. I hope I will manage to find a solution where they will remain connected in order to avoid running a LAN-cable to the master.

I was not aware I could use IR for the BL50. Are you saying I need to connect a third IR cable from Harmony to the BL50 then?

Is it correct understood that some beoremote one are BT only and some have IR? How do I know if mine has IR - I did not specify this to the dealer?

I guess it could not control the ATV and Panasonic if it wasn’t an IR version?

Apologies for all the “newbie” questions....

As per my previous post I am running the spdif from the Panasonic to the BL50 in order to prioritise SQ and reduce D/A conversions. I have priorities the spdif input over the powerlink on the BL50 and that works well after I found out how to do it...

I have not tested if I can hear a difference - I will look into this after the setup has been calibrated.

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
3,704 Posts
Gold Member

Luffe, i think this is the first time i have seen this thread, and wow, congrats on a nice set up.  I particularly like how they have set up the 17's in your house.  They blend in perfectly. 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
14,489 Posts
Bronze Member

LuffeDK:

Mikipidia:

I am now playing around with the 2.4ghz channels on the UniFi AP to see if that can improve the WiFi performance of the BL50. I hope I will manage to find a solution where they will remain connected in order to avoid running a LAN-cable to the master.

I was not aware I could use IR for the BL50. Are you saying I need to connect a third IR cable from Harmony to the BL50 then?

Is it correct understood that some beoremote one are BT only and some have IR? How do I know if mine has IR - I did not specify this to the dealer?

I guess it could not control the ATV and Panasonic if it wasn’t an IR version?

Apologies for all the “newbie” questions....

As per my previous post I am running the spdif from the Panasonic to the BL50 in order to prioritise SQ and reduce D/A conversions. I have priorities the spdif input over the powerlink on the BL50 and that works well after I found out how to do it...

I have not tested if I can hear a difference - I will look into this after the setup has been calibrated.

Hi Luffe,

in order to use ‘ir for the BL50’s’ you’d need to attach an ir-eye/-receiver dieectly to the BL-master using the ir-port there.

Means: NOT via ‘a third IR cable from the Harmony’!

This would also mean, that you’d have to use an ir-remote like the Beo4 or the BROne in ir-mode e.g to control the volume.

The very first BROne’s were ir-only - all other are both and you’d have to change mode each time, when you’d use that for the BL50’s only and for the Harmony.

The reason why your BROne (which is one of the newer) can control the ATV and the BDP is that these are setup with PUC control - the Harmony simply converts all needed commands to the appropriate ir-formats for the devices.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Mikipidia
Top 50 Contributor
2,082 Posts
Bronze Member
What MM said, you can attach an IR eye to the master 50 for volume control and the remote you get with a harmony is capable of both bluetooth and ir, you just need to change the mode it’s in.

LuffeDK
Not Ranked
76 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks a lot - great forum. I will keep you updated on the progress.

I will need to play around with the beoremote one in order to learn how to change form BT to IR.

I would also like to remove some of all the menus that I don’t use - e.g. lighting, etc etc.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
14,489 Posts
Bronze Member

LuffeDK:

I would also like to remove some of all the menus that I don’t use - e.g. lighting, etc etc.

Don’t worry about this anymore or spend time finding a solution.....you can’t do that!

The Beoremote One is - when it uses its bluetooth part - a two-way remote.

This means that it gets its informations directly from the tv/the Harmony - it mirrors the settings in the tv.

This is something, that has annoyed a lot of users (and still does)  - so far there is no remedy.

The two-way function is great for those, who can’t or don’t want to configure a remote in addition to configuring the actual tv (or other B&O device) and it allows e.g. for mirroring the names of the radio stations in a B&O audio system in order to have quick access to these from the remote.

Unfortunately this has the drawback that you can’t edit the entries of the remote seperately.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

LuffeDK
Not Ranked
76 Posts
Bronze Member

Millemissen:

LuffeDK:

Don’t worry about this anymore or spend time finding a solution.....you can’t do that!

The Beoremote One is - when it uses its bluetooth part - a two-way remote.

This means that it gets its informations directly from the tv/the Harmony - it mirrors the settings in the tv.

This is something, that has annoyed a lot of users (and still does)  - so far there is no remedy.

The two-way function is great for those, who can’t or don’t want to configure a remote in addition to configuring the actual tv (or other B&O device) and it allows e.g. for mirroring the names of the radio stations in a B&O audio system in order to have quick access to these from the remote.

Unfortunately this has the drawback that you can’t edit the entries of the remote seperately.

MM

Good to know!!

Page 4 of 5 (68 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL