rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 22 Replies | 3 Followers

LuffeDK
Not Ranked
11 Posts
Bronze Member
LuffeDK posted on Mon, Sep 14 2020 10:16 PM

Hi all,

I am a first time poster who have enjoyed and learnt a lot from this forum for a while.

I have recently placed an order for a Harmony, 2xBL50, and 4xBL17.

I am also close to getting my hands on an OPPO udp-205 in good condition.

The equipment will soon arrive and I have a few questions related to the “recommended setup” for music and surround sound:

Music

I have ripped my CD collection (FLAC) and thousands of cd’s are on my NAS. I have a few high-res files on my NAS but I will mostly be listening to actual cd’s in the OPPO and ripped Flac files from my NAS (via DLNA).

I am also subscribing to Deezer Hifi.

How good is the DAC in the Harmony compared to the DAC in the OPPO? - do you recommend I use the dedicated audio out from the OPPO and connect it directly to the BL50 versus using the sound center in the Harmony ?

I have other B&O speakers in other rooms and I am using the Deezer/B&O app for the multi room ”experience”. The above mentioned questions are not related to multi-room - I would like to understand how I get the “best” audio quality when listening to music on the BL50 only.

Video/Surround

For video I will connect the OPPO to the Harmony via HDMI - I will be watching movies/concerts on the Harmony only.

Initially, I planned for a 7.0 type setup but I have seen posts where some of you recommend other setups.

My plan is of course to use the BL50 for front left/right.

Due to cosmetic reasons I plan to position the 4xBL17 above the listening position (angled down towards the listening position):

- one set at the “junction/corner” between the side wall/ceiling (side ceiling left/right)

- one set at the “junction/corner” between the back wall/ceiling behind the listening position (back ceiling left/right)

The living room/TV room is approximately 35sqm and the listening position is located in the centre of the room (almost optimal)

Due to the room layout it is difficult to add additional left/right wall speakers (ear level) but I could add another set of speakers on the back wall (left/right ear level). It could be an additional set of BL17 (I need to buy them before they are discontinued) or 2x Balance if they will support this type of setup in the future. Shape is another option....

Will an additional set of back speakers improve the surround experience noticeably?

I apologise in advance for the long first post! 

PS. After having heard the BL90 I would have liked to go for those but they could not fit into the room. Furthermore, I don’t think they match up with the BL17 for surround.

All Replies

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,304 Posts
Bronze Member

Hej Luffe,

seems to be a nearly perfect setup you’ll have there.

I would not worry too much about additional speakers for that layout.

As long as the surround and the rear speakers are configured as such and angled proper downwards towards your main listening position, you should be good to go.

First get that 7.0 setup up and running - later on you could make some experiments with more speakers, if you feel like wanting more....although I am not sure that you would benefit much from that. You will be able to buy the 17’s further on for quite a long time (if not new, then secondhand).

Please consult the Technical Sound Guide (on the B&O website) for how to set up the speakers, how to configure etc.

With the OPPO 205 you will have a perfect companion for both movie and music listening.

As for pure (2 channel) music listening , I would use the seperate inputs of the BL50’s.

Please have a look on this post from Geoff Martin Sat, Aug 22 2020 9:56 AM here: https://forum.beoworld.org/forums/t/37467.aspx?PageIndex=2

where he is describing how he uses his BL90’s with the OPPO 105 and his BV.

Plenty of options there. Take your time to get it right.

And keep on posting your questions as you go along with the setup - there are several users here, who have similar setups and who definitely would like to share their experiences.

And....you don’t have to apologize for a long post.

It is that sort of posting, that makes it interesting to comment - with a lot of postings here, you often first have to guess, what the real concerns of the writers are.

And welcome to the Beoworld forum :-)

P.S. Don’t forget....the forumusers love pictures of other users setups! 

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

LuffeDK
Not Ranked
11 Posts
Bronze Member
LuffeDK replied on Tue, Sep 15 2020 11:10 AM

Thank you for the information. 
Do you also suggest using the OPPO connected directly to the BL50 when playing FLAC files from the NAS versus using the DAC in the harmony?

I know it is subjective but do you consider the OPPO DAC to be superior to the DAC in the Harmony sound center? 

LuffeDK
Not Ranked
11 Posts
Bronze Member
LuffeDK replied on Tue, Sep 15 2020 11:10 AM

Do you also suggest using the OPPO connected directly to the BL50 when playing FLAC files from the NAS versus using the DAC in the harmony?

I know it is subjective but do you consider the OPPO DAC to be superior to the DAC in the Harmony sound center? 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,304 Posts
Bronze Member

LuffeDK:

Yes, all these things are subjective.

The DAC in the OPPO might be different (due to different filters used), but that does not say anything about being better or worse.

If you have the option (like with the 50’s and the 90’s) you’d better go the direct way - the sound will be processed in the 50’s anyway.

With the direct connection you will skip a couple of conversion steps (D->A, A->D....)

If you would go via the Harmony (using the HDMI connection), you also might have to choose a 2 channel Speaker Group each time you want to listen to a CD/the FLAC files from the OPPO, when the default Group (for video-viewing/listening) is set to a 7.0 Speaker Group.

I am pretty sure, that the way Geoff Martin describes his use case is well thought-out - after all he knows his stuff and his gear.

N.B There is no problem in creating different Speaker Groups with different setups for the OPPO outputs.

Listen for a while....and choose what you prefer.

MM

LuffeDK
Not Ranked
11 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks a lot - that makes sense 

Mikipidia
Top 75 Contributor
1,472 Posts
Gold Member
Depending on how much other gear is attached and integration, you could also always attach the oppo to the harmony and set it all (with 2 channel preset) under a “my button” and have the regualar source in the list default to 7.0.0

Where and how are you placing the 17’s? If you could hang a pair up higher (5.0.2) that in my mind/experience would be even better than 7.0.0. The TrueImage processor does magical things with surround heightsBig Smile

New: Beovision Harmony, Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beolab 17's, Beolab 3's, Beosound 9000 mk3, Beosound Stage & LG, Beosound 2, Beoplay M3, Beoplay A1, Beoplay H4 gen 2, Beoplay E8 3.0

Mikipedia on YouTube (finally Stick out tongue )

https://www.youtube.com/c/Mikipedia

Old: Beovision Eclipse, Beolab 1's, Beolab 2, Beovision 10-46, Overture 2300, beolab 8000's, Beolab 4000's, Beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

Jaffrey2230
Top 200 Contributor
Washington DC
413 Posts
Silver Member

I used to own an Oppo Sonica DAC. I believe it uses the same DAC chip as what is one the 205. If it is, I would be surprised if it outperforms the DAC on the BL 50 for audio played through the BL 50. I sold the Sonica before I got my Core, but in my comparison it was Sonos Connect < Oppo Sonica = Apple AirPort Express 2 (yes!) = Bluesound Node 2i < Beosound Core. So given that, I would be really surprised if the Oppo's DAC was better than on the BL 50. My 2 cents worth. 

B&O products I use by zones in my home: 

Platform: Apple Home  (iOS/Mac, with Google Wi-fi (3x mesh), 100% streaming audio (Sirius XM, Apple Music, TuneIn Radio); TV/Office: Beolab 8002 (Red) + Beolab 2 [Sony OLED (65 inch), Apple TV 4K]; Living: Beoplay A9 (MK2), Bedroom: Beolab 6000 (Red) + Beolab 11 + Beosound Core w/ Essence Remote [LG UST Projector directly to wall (85 inch), Apple TV 4K]; Guest Rooms: Apple HomePod x 2  Dining: Beoplay M5 [previously Beosound Stage] ; Portable in-house: Beosound 1 with dock; Travel/bluetooth: Beoplay P6, BeoPlay H9 (3rd Gen) [H95 any day now!], Apple AirPod Pro. 

LuffeDK
Not Ranked
11 Posts
Bronze Member
LuffeDK replied on Tue, Sep 15 2020 11:58 PM

My intention is that both side left/right as well as rear left/right will be positioned where the wall meets the ceiling (my ceiling is flat and there is approximately 2,5 m from the floor to the ceiling in the TV room.

Hereby, all four BL17’s will be positioned above the listening position.

I am not sure if what your saying will work when all 4 speakers are positioned in the same level?

However, I could lower the 17’s on the back wall (bring them down to ear level but they will still be approx 2meters behind the listening position) or as mentioned in my initial post add a third set of BL17 speakers (or e.g. shape) in that specific position and them keep the initial 4 pcs BL17 where the wall meets the ceiling...

I am not sure if that will improve the experience 

LuffeDK
Not Ranked
11 Posts
Bronze Member
LuffeDK replied on Wed, Sep 16 2020 12:04 AM

Thank you for the information. MM mentioned that passing through several AD converters might reduce SQ but I will definitely compare it once the setup is complete.

Thanks again

LuffeDK
Not Ranked
11 Posts
Bronze Member
LuffeDK replied on Wed, Sep 16 2020 12:04 AM

Thank you for the information. MM mentioned that passing through several AD converters might reduce SQ but I will definitely compare it once the setup is complete.

Thanks again

LuffeDK
Not Ranked
11 Posts
Bronze Member

Do you recommend the 5.0.2 or the 7.0.0 setup for my specific setup?

As mentioned earlier, the 4xBL17’a are positioned in the following way:

-Same height & higher than the listening position
-All speakers angled down towards the listening position

seethroughyou
Top 100 Contributor
UK
804 Posts
Bronze Member
I’m also looking to transition to multichannel and would like to play my multichannel SACDs so trying to find a good used Oppo 205. There are some Oppo 203s and not sure if I should go for 203 or 205. 205 has ability to act as a DAC on USB input, so I could play DFF files on a memory stick.
Carolpa
Top 100 Contributor
1,024 Posts
Bronze Member

seethroughyou:
so I could play DFF files on a memory stick.
Both are capable to play dsf/dff files on a memory stick

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,304 Posts
Bronze Member

LuffeDK:

Do you recommend the 5.0.2 or the 7.0.0 setup for my specific setup?

As mentioned earlier, the 4xBL17’a are positioned in the following way:

-Same height & higher than the listening position
-All speakers angled down towards the listening position

Probably the native 7.0.0.

However, there is nothing wrong in creating a 5.0.2 Speaker Group as well - you speaker locations should allow for that as I see it.

Then try both out with different material....in order to see, what fits you best.

There is absolutely nothing wrong in having both layouts in 2 different Speaker Groups.

It is one of the wonderfull things with the BSys4/TrueImage processing that you can test a lot of configurations and choose these with a couple of clicks on the remote.

MM

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL