rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 127 Replies | 2 Followers

BeoBoy68
Top 75 Contributor
Alsace 🇨🇵
1,246 Posts
Bronze Member
BeoBoy68 posted on Wed, Jan 16 2013 1:39 AM

http://www.devialet.com/index.php                                                                                                                                                                                           The French audio-revolution

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

mbee
Top 75 Contributor
Paris, France
1,815 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Verified) mbee replied on Sat, Jul 22 2017 6:23 PM
Verified by Mr 10Percent

For me, all the hype about the Phantom is about getting a very high sound level out of something very small. But to my Ears, b&o is far better, for instance a set of BL3 s far more accurate, has less distorsion, but of course can't make as much noise as a pair of phantom.

All Replies

beoinbuff
Not Ranked
20 Posts
Bronze Member

Audiophiles.  Laughing

I recently had a Mcintosh Men220 at home to demo.  It's a 2 channel room correction system.  I have a system in my living room where placing acoustic panels, bass traps, etc is not ideal. The room is an acoustical nightmare with hardwood floors and floor to ceiling windows without treatments.  The Men220 was unbelievable, the sound completely transformed and my living room system sounded truly hi end with nice, tight bass and spacious soundstage. 

Now I have to credit my local audio dealer because they first had me demo a DAC which is far cheaper in the hopes that it would improve my sound.  It didn't make a lick of difference. 

In any case, I went to a well known audiophile forum to ask about the Mcintosh's competitors.  The Mcintosh is 4500 USD and there are 2 channel alternatives that are much cheaper. 

So what do these imbeciles have to say?  Well, most frown upon room correction in general because it upsets the "purity" of the signal.  They mention extra ADA conversions and other such nonsense forgetting that most of what they listen to has likely been through thousands of such conversions in the studio.

They talk about swapping cables, changing preamps, changing DACS, adding tubes, moving components, changing speakers, changing amps, and other ridiculous crap.  Purity of the signal my ass.  These are the same people who will use an upsampling CD player, pass the signal to a preamp, then pass it along to an upsampling DAC, then to some distortion ridden tube amp and then finally to their speakers.  They are so full of ****.

Electrified
Top 500 Contributor
212 Posts
Bronze Member

beoinbuff:
forgetting that most of what they listen to has likely been through thousands of such conversions in the studio.

Although I agree completely with the rest of your post, this sentence isn't quite true. When it has arrived digitally, I don't make it analogue, and then record that to digital again.  Especially not "thousands" of times.  With that said, and if I did, it would happen with 24 bit resolution on the digital end, so not the same problem as with a 16 bit cd/flac (or whatever) track.

As for purity, you're so right I could cry. Going through tube amps and usually ending up using passive speakers is not exactly "pure".

As for bass-traps, I prefer to do without them, if I can otherwise fix the problem (at home). I really don't want my home look like a studio.

beoinbuff
Not Ranked
20 Posts
Bronze Member

Electrified,

I stand corrected re studio DA conversions.  I'm glad you agree with the other parts, though

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,793 Posts
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sun, Jan 20 2013 5:24 PM

I definitely agree, the speaker, the room, and their interaction are where most problems occur. The high end crowd by and large obsess over minutiae while ignoring the elephant that is the room. Signal purity! Whata hoot, but it's the same mentality that eschews tone controls and will spend lots of time listening to music they may not really like much because it's so well recorded. That's one thing I really enjoyed about the Beosound 9000 when I got it, remote control of tone controls that seemed to be smartly designed to allow small but significant improvements to real world recordings. CD mastered a bit bright? One click down on treble fixes most of them. 

DSP room correction and multichannel audio are the areas where real improvement will come from, not another wire or tweako amp topology. But these are also areas where most of the audiophile favored small cottage industry types of firms will have little chance of doing, it'll be the larger firms many of them seem to love to hate. 

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

wonderfulelectric
Top 150 Contributor
563 Posts
Bronze Member

Puncher:

wonderfulelectric:
What I am trying to say is that if B&O took my advices way back when..... it might not have been too late. I suggested finishes other than flashy aluminum way before they introduced the Lab5s.

As the Lab 5's were introduced in 2003 that would make it "way before" you were ~15 years old!! That's either very, very impressive or complete and utter bollocks!

Puncher:

wonderfulelectric:
What I am trying to say is that if B&O took my advices way back when..... it might not have been too late. I suggested finishes other than flashy aluminum way before they introduced the Lab5s.

As the Lab 5's were introduced in 2003 that would make it "way before" you were ~15 years old!! That's either very, very impressive or complete and utter bollocks!

Ewww.... I was just revisiting this post to see whether you guys would "leave" "my posts" alone.... Yes I posted my suggestions way before Lab5s were introduced in their IDEA land/ forum when they had it then... Do they still have it now?.... I remember B&O celebrating an anniversary of sorts around the time when I bought my own first B&O product  ( the hook earphones). And I remember purchasing the Beosound 2 that wasn't compatible with the AIFF files I have on my mac so I converted my files into WAV. How many years ago was that? OMG I was 16 cos I remember bringing it to school to show it off. lol...  I found out about www.nacsound.it and thought they looked fantastic and thought that speakers can be ceramic or even resin as used in the original Apple Hifi to great effect both acoustically and aesthetically so I suggested other materials than just those aluminum used in the column range.Back then there was another brand from Denmark that was making columnar aluminum loudspeakers with designs akin to the Lab8000s so.... I thought it was a good idea to introduce designs that are not so widely imitated.... Funny thing I remember the moderator from B&O's forum actually responded by saying that the feedbacks will be taken into consideration etc... Way back when I was 8 when my mom had a Beosound 2300 with matching lab2500s later the lab 6000s then 9000s with 8000s and Beosound 1..... I grew up with B&O in a way. 

And Electrified I have never dismissed you not knowing anything about sound etc.... So what's with the defensiveness? Why so personal? So I presume you are the authority in accurate music production? And why is your argument against people being 'audiophiles" surround only in areas pertaining "passive driven loudspeakers" and "cables". Why do professionals mainly require balanced amplification/termination/ cabling then? BTW as of now no B&O active speakers I know accept balanced inputs. It is the most cost effective way to shield signal from interference and yet... 

So I know nothing? Well thanks for that implication.... because I am sure you know what "nothing" also means. 

What's with the attacks? They are unbelievable... And Electrified... Again many not  all audiophiles can simply be dismissed as believers in " snake oil" most of them active drive their loudspeakers in full digital mode with DSP etc.You might not be way off about how some audiophiles prefer the euphony of tube amps and passive loudspeakers but not all are....

I remember following the thread of one audiophile's venture to find the right system for him... He contemplated between the Lab5s and B&W 800 diamonds back and forth even went for extended auditions but he went for the B&Ws with Classe amplification instead. And yes B&W's midrange is depressed and voiced in a certain way and so are the Lab5s... The treble is obviously hot and the dispersion characteristic will not work for many rooms. In the previous posts It's like you were trying to implicate that all audiophiles are into passive speakers?huh? I know tons who are into active loudspeakers who consider themselves as audiophiles too.

We are in obviously in different wavelengths. 

What I like in the audiophile forum is that they are open to suggestions and are even aware to their own individual preferences that might be away from the absolute reference which non and I should repeat non of the B&O active loudspeakers represent. And I am not saying nobody should not like B&O loudspeakers just because they are not references. I own quite a bit of B&O gear FYI and I am certain that most of them are very voiced and have a smiley response and yet do possess their own charms. 

I am sure that it is because you guys felt so sure of yourself and that was why you started with the "attacks". 

And Butch1. You don't have the Klimax 350p you claimed in another thread but instead you have the 242s so..... I am sure you can extrapolate what I am trying to put across from here. 

wonderfulelectric
Top 150 Contributor
563 Posts
Bronze Member

beoinbuff:

Audiophiles.  Laughing

I recently had a Mcintosh Men220 at home to demo.  It's a 2 channel room correction system.  I have a system in my living room where placing acoustic panels, bass traps, etc is not ideal. The room is an acoustical nightmare with hardwood floors and floor to ceiling windows without treatments.  The Men220 was unbelievable, the sound completely transformed and my living room system sounded truly hi end with nice, tight bass and spacious soundstage. 

Now I have to credit my local audio dealer because they first had me demo a DAC which is far cheaper in the hopes that it would improve my sound.  It didn't make a lick of difference. 

In any case, I went to a well known audiophile forum to ask about the Mcintosh's competitors.  The Mcintosh is 4500 USD and there are 2 channel alternatives that are much cheaper. 

So what do these imbeciles have to say?  Well, most frown upon room correction in general because it upsets the "purity" of the signal.  They mention extra ADA conversions and other such nonsense forgetting that most of what they listen to has likely been through thousands of such conversions in the studio.

They talk about swapping cables, changing preamps, changing DACS, adding tubes, moving components, changing speakers, changing amps, and other ridiculous crap.  Purity of the signal my ass.  These are the same people who will use an upsampling CD player, pass the signal to a preamp, then pass it along to an upsampling DAC, then to some distortion ridden tube amp and then finally to their speakers.  They are so full of ****.

DSP is all the rage nowadays. Check out Dspeaker. But you have a point - I still have my reservations on converting my signal from D/A back to Digital and then back to analog again. I know the losses might be very minimal and with digital crossover the gains might be more than the losses but I have too much anxiety for that. I was planning on purchasing active loudspeakers from Salagar (a company now defunct) but because Salagar only accepts analogue inputs and do DSP internally it was definitely a no go for me so I went with ATCs instead. 

So beoinbuff do you mainly have analogue sources? I don't so I'd rather go for DSP prior to D/A conversion. I have not found an automated purely digital in and out processor as of yet , most of them throw in D/A and A/D which are features I do not require and so far only 24bit/96khz output only . And the DsPeaker only offers correction up to 500hz I think? Do you know of any component that function only as an automated room DSP? 

To each his own... Some are purist and some admittedly are not.... They would post in forums saying out loud that they prefer inserting and extra stage of tube pre-amplification for some added distortion in between their high end D/A and power amplifiers. 

I am more of the purist type thus direct from DAC to active loudspeaker. According to the designer of the TotalDac who I asked the question why he limited his digital crossover to a maximum 18db (extremely gentle) crossovers instead of the steep 48db - 68db slope that most digital crossover modules are capable of doing ( I was planning of building a custom pair os DSP speakers based on TAD drivers which are used in the studios) he mentioned about digital ringing.... the steeper the filter the more the ringing which made sense since he is all about minimizing that in his DAC. It's a little off topic but apparently maybe sometimes active crossovers combined with DSP room correction is abetter way to go. And that is actually the design that the Lab5s are based upon. I used to think that the Lab5s used digital crossovers like Meridian loudspeakers but I was wrong. 

So just in case if anybody is wondering I did not go ahead and built the TAD based active speakers. I am way too much an amateur to execute own active crossovers etc...... And one TAD compression driver might cost as much as $4500 and that is excluding the required horn! Too major for an amateur to take on. So Electrified if you are an expert like you claimed I bet you can easily  aid me in the design or perhaps it is too lowly a project with too lowly a person for you? 

wonderfulelectric
Top 150 Contributor
563 Posts
Bronze Member

To Electrified, Butch1 and Puncher

I am sure I rubbed off on you guys the wrong way for a valid reason. I am sorry things got this way. 

wonderfulelectric
Top 150 Contributor
563 Posts
Bronze Member

Duplicate post

wonderfulelectric
Top 150 Contributor
563 Posts
Bronze Member

BeoBoy68:

Sirs, The subject is Devialet vs B&O. Tks

LOL indeed. I think Icepower has more potential than Devialet. Devialet can't even deliver to its promised power rating without shutting down and the resolution and wifi interference... What a joke for an amplifier so expensive and hyped up. I do admire the luxurious take on the finnish on the all in one amplifier though. 

If IcePower can elevate its standard up to the latest Hypex Ncore standard then I would say its a slam dunk. 

wonderfulelectric
Top 150 Contributor
563 Posts
Bronze Member

Electrified:

wonderfulelectric:
BTW you can't really properly compare the Lab5s with other reference active speakers

LOL, of course you can. It's called measurements. No wonder you buy into snake oil.

What I meant is in-room response. Some reference speakers are meant to measure very well in anechoic chambers and some in-room. And some like the ridiculously expensive Cabasse is supposed to emulate point source albeit you will have to put up with the horrible ringing DSP filters that is... 

Again no offends but I know where you are coming from most reference speakers will measure worse than the B&O off axis and B&O's built-in bass correction is a welcomed add-on. Then again it is no point source and the bass enclosure is known to vibrate. So in terms of cabinet resonance suppression..... 

And PS... when the Lab5s were first released I praised them for their excellent polar response amongst other things such as polar response and distortion ratings. I even posted a clipping of the measurements taken by Hifi News of the Lab5s for goodness sake. 

That was before I found out about the recent BMR drivers which is way more ideal than the acoustic lenses featured on the Lab 5s that is.... but lets not go down that path again.... Obviously you are a big fan of the Lab 5s and have great passion for them. 

butch1
Top 200 Contributor
384 Posts
Bronze Member
butch1 replied on Mon, Jan 21 2013 10:50 PM

And Butch1. You don't have the Klimax 350p you claimed in another thread but instead you have the 242s so..... I am sure you can extrapolate what I am trying to put across from here. 

Quick Reply
READ YOU IDIOT,WHAT DOES IT SAY.IT WAS A PHOTO WITH MY 242 BEFORE I CHANGED THEM TO 350P.WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO GET THE HINT.HERES A CLUE ITS A MICHAEL JACKSON SONG?

butch1
Top 200 Contributor
384 Posts
Bronze Member
butch1 replied on Mon, Jan 21 2013 10:53 PM

this was before I changed my speakers to klimax 350p from black gloss 242 and 226 sub,the solos are in my old bv5 cabinet below the 7-40 mk5.This is my music room.Obviously you dont know english well,Read what I said IF I EVER changed my music set-up I would have meridian over b&O,in my music room only.I have B&o setups everywhere else in my house.I dont want to get into money anymore,but I would honestly be embarassed,if at 25 I had to live of my parents and for them to pay for my expensive tastes.

read the first sentence,from my thread with picture.You need glasses aswell.

wonderfulelectric
Top 150 Contributor
563 Posts
Bronze Member

butch1:

this was before I changed my speakers to klimax 350p from black gloss 242 and 226 sub,the solos are in my old bv5 cabinet below the 7-40 mk5.This is my music room.Obviously you dont know english well,Read what I said IF I EVER changed my music set-up I would have meridian over b&O,in my music room only.I have B&o setups everywhere else in my house.I dont want to get into money anymore,but I would honestly be embarassed,if at 25 I had to live of my parents and for them to pay for my expensive tastes.

read the first sentence,from my thread with picture.You need glasses aswell.

Thanks for getting personal yet again. Oh never mind... Good for you that you are getting the kick out of it !

You insisted that I take a look at your system so shouldn't you be glad that I was? 

I second that you are "self-made". 

I must admit I do feel a little ashamed with living off them. I do have a 5 yr plan for myself. Thanks for making me more aware of that fact. But sometimes I do wonder what is there to be "ashamed" off? The parasitic nature of my mere existence?  

Again Newton's law of conservation of energy applies to all of this dimension. This is veering way off topic but I just had to let this one bit out.

Perhaps its because you remind me of the many that I struggled to have a balanced relationship with. 

Electrified
Top 500 Contributor
212 Posts
Bronze Member

You must be kidding!? Do you expect working people to write a response to each and every nonsensical claim you got wrong in your extremely long and many posts?

One could, of course, select only one sentence from each, as you have done with my post, where you ignored everything else where you had been shown wrong. But that would most likely make you accuse me of being "selective".

In any case, you're a tosser, a troll, who knows nothing, and at the same time suffers from delusions of grandeur. Crawl back into the hole of audiophiles. You yourself claimed they were so welcoming of you.

Oh, and as for "getting personal". It's because you have made a fool of yourself, yet maintain the delusions of grandeur. Of course people don't suffer such things with a smile. So, as for getting personal: You're most welcome. It is deserved.

wonderfulelectric
Top 150 Contributor
563 Posts
Bronze Member

Electrified:
You must be kidding!? Do you expect working people to write a response to each and every nonsensical claim you got wrong in your extremely long and many posts?

Well you certainly are aren't you? Case in point. You responded my post on the other thread with lightning speed. What's this some love hate thing? 

Page 6 of 9 (128 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL