rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 127 Replies | 2 Followers

BeoBoy68
Top 75 Contributor
FRANCE
1,234 Posts
Bronze Member
BeoBoy68 posted on Wed, Jan 16 2013 1:39 AM

http://www.devialet.com/index.php                                                                                                                                                                                           The French audio-revolution

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

mbee
Top 75 Contributor
Paris, France
1,741 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Verified) mbee replied on Sat, Jul 22 2017 6:23 PM
Verified by Mr 10Percent

For me, all the hype about the Phantom is about getting a very high sound level out of something very small. But to my Ears, b&o is far better, for instance a set of BL3 s far more accurate, has less distorsion, but of course can't make as much noise as a pair of phantom.

All Replies

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
7,344 Posts
Gold Member

Could you please elaborate on this a little in your own words, especially from the angle in your topic, so we wouldn't need to delete this as another advertisement?

--mika

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Badsey, UK
3,429 Posts
Gold Member
Looks fascinating, but £12,000 for an amplifier!

Beovision 10, Beolab 2, Beosound 2(old Skool) Beolit 15, Beoplay A2 Active

BeoBoy68
Top 75 Contributor
FRANCE
1,234 Posts
Bronze Member
BeoBoy68 replied on Wed, Jan 16 2013 11:37 AM

Agree Chris but join a nice pair of speakers and it cost same price as BeoLab 5 ! I like the Devialet D-Premier design. It is a digital versatil / DAC amplifier. Read articles in their website. Devialet have planned to launch a system for 1.000 €uros only. We will see !

BeoBoy68
Top 75 Contributor
FRANCE
1,234 Posts
Bronze Member
BeoBoy68 replied on Wed, Jan 16 2013 11:42 AM

Tournedos is not an ad just a simply information that they are audio companies that have find new technical options.  Bang & Olufsen is sleeping with their ICEpower technology - 12 years old now. 

wonderfulelectric
Top 150 Contributor
563 Posts
Bronze Member

Why the double thread? Nobody is going to read my previous post now. lol... 

Yes Icepower may be 12 years old but I think it is now in it's third incarnation. But the B&O marketing department is not doing a very good job in telling the public about it. Like we know there is Icepower but what kind and what yr? What's the difference? 

Hypex PWM amplifiers are now considered so much more superior now. 

Will not get the Devialet simply because I find the technology not too elegant nor is it remotely good in measurement terms. And for the price that is completely not acceptable. 

wonderfulelectric
Top 150 Contributor
563 Posts
Bronze Member

Like I said B&O cannot just be a lifestyle brand now that other brands with higher HiFi credentials are charging into the market as well. I mean since audio technology moves at a relatively slow pace as compared to vision then it makes sense to offer upgrades to the audio line to boost profit margins instead of offering new loudspeakers that is more of the same or worse - uglier looking. 

BeoBoy68
Top 75 Contributor
FRANCE
1,234 Posts
Bronze Member

Completely agree that Beo should launch new products in audio line. They have enough loudspeakers but I read they will continue to launch speakers. BeoLab 14 will be show soon. 

olvisab
Top 75 Contributor
1,362 Posts
Bronze Member

Just another alumium box without soul that plays music.

Probably in a perfect manner but my eyes won't see the difference.

B&o is more than that.

Something that you feel with your eyes, ears and finally heart.

Unfortunately, b&o lacks of great audio attractiv player.

Not easy to make something eye catching, easy to use and efficient.

I am sure that they will solve this issue by finding a great designer.

When I take a look on the shareholders of Devialet (french billionaires in fashion and telecoms), and I see their kind of marketing policy, I don't believe they will produce any product that won't generate high margin.

So, at 1000 euros, I don't expect a b&o killer product.

Icepower is great but this is not only this technology in question.The DAC is a part that surely will make the difference.

I read a very long thread about Devialet on a french forum and its efficiency depend a lot of the type of connection/cable used, the quality of the music played and the quality of the speakers.

So, nothing new, just another option, simplier solution (dac, preamp, amp) that help to reach a high level of audio quality.

At 12000 euros, I find this just ... normal.

beolab 5, beolab 9, beolab 3, beolab 10, beolab 5000, beolab 8000, beolab 3500, IWS 2000, beovision 7 55 mk2,  beotime, beogram 7000 white mmc2, beosound ouverture, beosound essence, beomaster 900 RG de luxe and the collection continues...

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Badsey, UK
3,429 Posts
Gold Member
I must admit, après CES I'm a bit impatient about some new high end B&O products. I think a revised media player in the Beosound range would be current and market leading.

A music and video player, which also includes a marketplace of not only the finest digital music(lossless), but BluRay quality films with their matching sound quality all under one roof. Obviously enough terabytes to sink a ship for future 4K films. Maybe a detachable and upgradable hard drive unit that can grow not only with your library, but as necessary for the inevitable increase in demand.

Essentially a high quality iTunes type of service, married to their finest processing within a body that can reawaken that B&O magic.

BeoBoy68
Top 75 Contributor
FRANCE
1,234 Posts
Bronze Member

I am impatient too !  :-))  I want a new elegant aluminium media player for audio & video.  B&O wake up !! 

beocool
Top 25 Contributor
Alankomaat
6,141 Posts
Gold Member

This doesn't float my boat... But a new B&O media player for audio and video... There's a thought. Smile

Vähintään yhdeksänkymmentä prosenttia suomalainen! 

wonderfulelectric
Top 150 Contributor
563 Posts
Bronze Member

( I have decided to put my previous post in the duplicate thread here just in case it is getting lost. lol ) 

Oh the Devialet has been around for a couple of years. I like that it is all in one though. I will much prefer a Direct digital amplifier/ power DAC than a PWM amplifier just because it is a much more elegant solution. The Devialet is very innovative in terms of having a traditional Class A 1 watt amplifier drive the voltage part and letting the class D do the heavy lifting in the current delivery.  Didn't measure all that well in the Stereophile review as compared to the either NAD M2 power DAC or the NAD M51 direct digital DAC though despite costing a lot more than either of them. I wonder whether that is why Devialet is now dropped by the many demonstrators at this year's CES. 

Here is a link to the measurements taken by Stereophile. Horrible! Compared to modern state of the art. 

http://www.stereophile.com/content/devialet-d-premier-da-integrated-amplifier-measurements

Here are the links to the measurements ( insanely over-performing considering the price! ) taken from the Nad offerings. They are enough to make me doubt of my extravagance on my high end setup purchase. PS. The M2 amplifier is older than the Devialet by a yr or two. 

http://www.stereophile.com/content/nad-m51-direct-digital-da-converter-measurements

http://www.stereophile.com/content/nad-m2-direct-digital-integrated-amplifier-measurements

Actually Icepower had put plans on creating a direct digital amplifier nearly a decade ago. Whatever happened to that plan? It's true that direct digital amplifiers are not at all that efficient as compared with traditional switching amplifiers but they are definitely applicable for high end hifi. Direct digital amplifiers are basically digital signals upsampled very precisely to match the switching frequency of a switching amplifier like Icepower but without the whole process of D/A conversion and converted to PWM. Icepower is considered as cheap amplification now so.... why not create a upmarket division of Icepower? 

I really hope B&O will one day make its foray into true high end hifi. High end all in one and not separates because that's where the whole hifi industry is heading to anyway. I think a 5-6 figure B&O loudspeaker is a more worthwhile investment than a 5-6 figure TV. Plus it is so much easier to upgrade HiFi than TV - Linn managed to offer costly upgrades to their reference active loudspeaker line with new drive units, crossover and power supplies.

On second thought it is actually quite impossible to upgrade TV. 

StUrrock
Top 100 Contributor
991 Posts
Bronze Member

Chris Townsend:
I must admit, après CES I'm a bit impatient about some new high end B&O products. I think a revised media player in the Beosound range would be current and market leading.

A music and video player, which also includes a marketplace of not only the finest digital music(lossless), but BluRay quality films with their matching sound quality all under one roof. Obviously enough terabytes to sink a ship for future 4K films. Maybe a detachable and upgradable hard drive unit that can grow not only with your library, but as necessary for the inevitable increase in demand.

Essentially a high quality iTunes type of service, married to their finest processing within a body that can reawaken that B&O magic.

Chris this would be brilliant, B&O products deliver the best sound & video quality for sure.

However Struer seem to be so far behind in their thinking with regards to the delivery and accessability of content from the consumer's point of view;

LP gave way to CD

CD gave way to the Hard drive

Hard Drive gives way to streaming

and so on................

Each time quality seems to give way to the end users' desire for convenience.

B&O Play has accepted the new concept to a point. However, the core brand is WAY off the mark, and at the moment has no real idendtity or cohesion as a coordinated system.

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Badsey, UK
3,429 Posts
Gold Member
I know there will be the usual doom mungers saying it can't be done/will cost too much etc. These were the same folk who said airbags weren't commercially viable for the general public or music downloads would take too long and therefore never take off. Technology and industry always find a way.

I now rarely buy a bluray movie simply because its far easier to download a slightly lesser quality HD movie from Sky/Sony/ITunes etc. I just want to pay more for a better quality product including music, and nobody does a one stop device.

Page 1 of 9 (128 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL