Aftermarket Drivers

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 5 Replies | 1 Follower

bwest1000
Not Ranked
51 Posts
Gold Member
bwest1000 posted on Thu, Aug 27 2020 1:10 PM

Does anyone have any success with aftermarket drivers being placed into B&O active loudspeakers? I would like to replace the woofers in pair of BeoLab 6000s, and I was just wondering if it was possible to use aftermarket woofers rather than B&O woofers.

All Replies

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
12,988 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Thu, Aug 27 2020 3:41 PM

In most cases it's impossible to find modern replacements for the original drivers, many of which were custom produced to B&Os specs.
The T/S parameters are often way wrong, even if the size and fitting looks the same.

Talking about fitting; Have you seen what the Beolab 6000 woofers look like and how they are mounted?
Did you ever see any other driver looking like this?

BTW, Why not just use original woofers? The speakers were constructed for them and they are fairly cheap.
If the cone surrounds break (they are known to do that), the surrounds can be replaced. 

Martin  

bwest1000
Not Ranked
51 Posts
Gold Member

Just thought I’d ask since I need to change one. I see them online for about $75 each. Anyone know if there’s a place to find them cheaper than this?  My surround looks intact without cracks. I’ve done enough diagnostic work to isolate it to the speaker, I know it’s not the amp. 

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
12,988 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Thu, Aug 27 2020 4:31 PM

If it sounds distorted, the surround has cracked.
Look closer.

USD 75 doesn't sound too bad, I think, but there are others (I don't know the seller, it was merely part of the result of a 10-second search on Ebay):

https://www.ebay.de/itm/1x-Beolab-6000-refoamed-woofer-Bang-Olufsen-8480239-Tracked-Shipping/283956764146?hash=item421d245df2:g:dWEAAOSwvWVfNDSH

Martin

bwest1000
Not Ranked
51 Posts
Gold Member

It does have that crackly distorted sound classic to a blown woofer. I guess I’ve got nothing to lose by trying to change the surround rubber first.  Thanks. 

Beofrank
Not Ranked
79 Posts
Bronze Member

https://www.marktplaats.nl/a/audio-tv-en-foto/luidsprekers/m1339398316-woofers-bang-olufsen-beolab-6000.html?c=a2384ef0ece270f44503df9f8598c624&previousPage=lr

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL