Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

Beolab 50 & 90: Technical Sound Guides updated

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 25 Replies | 0 Followers

Geoff Martin
Top 150 Contributor
Struer, Denmark
643 Posts
Bronze Member
Geoff Martin posted on Wed, Aug 12 2020 6:48 AM

Hi everyone,

I've just finished bringing the Technical Sound Guides for Beolab 50 & 90 up to date.

They're now available at

https://bang-olufsen.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360041571412-Beolab-90

https://bang-olufsen.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360042003591-Beolab-50

Cheers
-geoff 

All Replies

Mr 10Percent
Top 150 Contributor
So West, Its Now East
509 Posts
Bronze Member

Razlaw:

Are you saying you can control the volume of the 90s directly with Essence Remote? I have tried to find a way to do that with my 50s but have not been able to get it to work. Currently I control the volume either using the BL50 controls in the app or a BR1 through an ir eye connected to the 50s.

There is a specific Beolink “eye” (late model?) that can be connected to one of the LAN / IR ports and it is typically sold with a 3 - 5m CAT 5 cable pre-wired (re-wiring shorter/longer is easy). 

There is an Essence instruction page on the inter web where you can configure the Essence remote to IR mode. I will PM that over shortly.

It works for volume only and is a tad clunky (but less clunky than the BR1 in IR mode with the same “eye”.

I use the Auralic App for selecting tracks, the Essence for vol control 

Rgds 10

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
4,206 Posts
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Fri, Aug 14 2020 9:23 PM
Thank you so much! I have the eye connected. Works great with the BR1 for volume. I thought I had tried all possible settings on the Essence remote, from the chart you posted, and none worked. I will try again. Do you know which of the settings/options you have yours in?

Beolab 50s Beolab 9s Beolab 12-3s Beolab 1s Beolab 6000s 2 pairs Beolab 4000s Beovision 7-55 Beovision 10-40 Beoplay V1 32 inch Beovision Avant 32 inch Beosound 1 (CD player) Beosound 3000 Beosound 5 Core Essence MKII Beoplay M5

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
4,206 Posts
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Fri, Aug 14 2020 9:28 PM
I am going to have to attribute this to “operator error”. I picked up my unused Essence Remote to try again with the various settings. Turned it and it was in the right setting as the volume immediately began changing. Mute also works. I wonder how long I had it set up right without realizing it worked. 😂

Beolab 50s Beolab 9s Beolab 12-3s Beolab 1s Beolab 6000s 2 pairs Beolab 4000s Beovision 7-55 Beovision 10-40 Beoplay V1 32 inch Beovision Avant 32 inch Beosound 1 (CD player) Beosound 3000 Beosound 5 Core Essence MKII Beoplay M5

Mr 10Percent
Top 150 Contributor
So West, Its Now East
509 Posts
Bronze Member

Razlaw:
I am going to have to attribute this to “operator error”. I picked up my unused Essence Remote to try again with the various settings. Turned it and it was in the right setting as the volume immediately began changing. Mute also works. I wonder how long I had it set up right without realizing it worked. 😂

Good to hear. I was researching and was going to suggest Mode 2 then Mode 4. IIRC it was a Beo4 command set up.

Enjoy

Mr 10Percent
Top 150 Contributor
So West, Its Now East
509 Posts
Bronze Member

Razlaw:

Good to hear. I was researching and was going to suggest Mode 2 then Mode 4. IIRC it was a Beo4 command set up.

Enjoy

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
4,206 Posts
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Sat, Aug 15 2020 1:35 AM
I am looking forward to seeing how the Halo might work to control the volume.

Mr 10Percent
Top 150 Contributor
So West, Its Now East
509 Posts
Bronze Member

Razlaw:
I am looking forward to seeing how the Halo might work to control the volume.

Whatever that does/does not, the IR Eye needs to be replaced with a BT one and also the BV Firmware. I dont understand why this one in particular has not been implemented - using Powerlink control in the BV to control the BL90 output volume - even if running 3rd party sources?

The BV10/11/14/Avants could all control the BeoSound 5 volume (in Option 2) when the SPDif is connected directly to the Beolab 5s.

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
3,903 Posts
Founder

Last weekend I had the priviledge to repair a faulty Beolab 50 for the first time. Always nice to experience something new.

But I have the make a compliment about how easy it is to service and change modules with its service positions.Well thought positions to get easy acces and ways to measure without taking the complete loudspeaker apart (like other BL's)

It made me think about the older devices like the Beovion LX/MX, Avant, etc where these positions were possible to get a nice and clean acces to all the modules.

Well done!

AdamS
Top 200 Contributor
343 Posts
Gold Member
AdamS replied on Wed, Aug 19 2020 1:14 PM

Geoff Martin:

For your information: We're in the final stages of testing a software update that will include a feature that will fix your problem. With the next update, you will be able to select a source manually, which will turn on the Beolab 90s (or 50s)

Geoff,

This is good news as I have suffered similar issues whern trying to switch between analogue inputs on our BL90s. One question though - will the update also make the BL90s switch OFF when you use the B&O App to put them into standby? Currently the App merrily informs you that it has done this, but the BL90s stay on until the timeout has elapsed.

Adam.

Martin
Top 200 Contributor
Sweden
343 Posts
Bronze Member
Martin replied on Mon, Aug 24 2020 3:10 PM

Hi guys, 

I also have problems sometimes with my Beolab 50 which going full tilt (vol 90) sometimes. 

I have an Auralic Aries G1 connected with Coax digital cable directly to the Lab 50. 

If I start up the Auralic with Lightning APP and start a track then the speakers wakes up and start playing. For most of the time the choosen "start-up volume" will be in use. BUT sometimes the volume slider go to full volume and a panick attack reach me and other people in the house. 

Does anyone else except for me and mr 10percent experienced this problem (software issue) with the Labs 50/90?

Why will this happen? I am not using XLR (Beloab 50 dont have that input) but I use Coax-digital input from the Auralic device. 

Best Regards
Martin

SWEDEN

Beovision Eclipse 65 with floorstand (from STB Brackets), Beolab 50 front, Beolab 3 rear, 2 x Beoplay A6 linkrooms, 2xBeoremote one BT, Beosound 9000 Mark III (sw 3.4), Beosound 5, Philips Hue (all lights in the home), Oppo UDP-203, Apple TV 4K. Beoremote HALO (new), 3xBeoplay Charging pad, Beoplay M5 (new)

Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL