Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

Beolab 50 & 90: Technical Sound Guides updated

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 25 Replies | 0 Followers

Geoff Martin
Top 150 Contributor
Struer, Denmark
603 Posts
Bronze Member
Geoff Martin posted on Wed, Aug 12 2020 6:48 AM

Hi everyone,

I've just finished bringing the Technical Sound Guides for Beolab 50 & 90 up to date.

They're now available at

https://bang-olufsen.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360041571412-Beolab-90

https://bang-olufsen.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360042003591-Beolab-50

Cheers
-geoff 

All Replies

Fansastic
Top 150 Contributor
The Netherlands
524 Posts
Gold Member
Suggested by AnalogPlanet
Hi Geoff, you are busy these days with all sound guides, nice te see more and more detailed and up to date information from B&O (and you).

Are you planning to do more youtube episodes as well? As a complete audio dummy I find myself well educated by you.

Thanks

BV Eclipse 55 Brass - BL 18 Brass - BL 19 Brass - BL 3 White - BS Moment - BS 2 Brass - BV Horizon 48 - BS3000 - BS 3200 - BS Essence - BL 4000 - V1 40 Black - V1 40 White - BLC NL/ML - H6 -  H4 - E8 Motion - A8 Earphone - Beolit 12 - Beolit 15 - Beoplay A1 Green - Beoplay A3 White

Martin
Top 500 Contributor
Sweden
289 Posts
Bronze Member
Martin replied on Wed, Aug 12 2020 12:44 PM

Hi Geoff, 

In the sound guide for Beolab 50 I think there is some technical spec for Beolab 90 instead of Beolab 50:

10.2.3 DigitalSignalProcessor
Model AnalogDevicesADSP-21489 Number 2 InstructionRate 400MHz Samplingrate 192kHz(fixed) Notes 32-bitfloatingpoint

Here it should be ONE Digital signal processor for Beolab 50. 

10.2.4 DigitaltoAnalogueConverters
NotethatthesespecificationsincludetheanaloguestagesthatfollowtheDACoutputs. Model TexasInstruments/Burr-BrownPCM1798 AudioChannels 18 Samplingrate 192kHz(fixed) Wordlength 24bits FrequencyResponse 0Hzto40kHz(+0dB,-1dB) FrequencyRange 0Hzto75kHz(+0dB,-3dB) THD+N 0.004%(997Hz,-1dBFS,22Hz–20kHz) DynamicRange 122dB(A)(997Hz,-60dBFS,20Hz–20kHz,AES17) ChannelSeparation 110dB(20Hz–20kHz,AES17) LevelLinearity ±1dB(at-120dBFS)

For Beolab 50 it is not 18 audiochannels, it should be 7 instead. 

Im I right?

Best Regards
Martin Ström

Beovision Eclipse 65 with floorstand (from STB Brackets), New! Beolab 50 front, Beolab 3 rear, 2 x Beoplay A6 linkrooms, 2xBeoremote one BT, Beosound 9000 Mark III (sw 3.4), Philips Hue (all lights in the home), Oppo UDP-203, Apple TV 4K. AURALIC Aries G1 (new)

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
4,023 Posts
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Wed, Aug 12 2020 1:43 PM
Thanks for both the update and letting us know about it!

Beolab 50s Beolab 9s Beolab 12-3s Beolab 1s Beolab 6000s 2 pairs Beolab 4000s Beovision 7-55 Beovision 10-40 Beoplay V1 32 inch Beovision Avant 32 inch Beosound 1 (CD player) Beosound 3000 Beosound 5 Core Essence MKII Beoplay M5

Geoff Martin
Top 150 Contributor
Struer, Denmark
603 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi Martin,

You're right... One of the problems with being my own editor is that it's difficult to see my own mistakes.  Thanks for spotting these!

Cheers
-geoff

Geoff Martin
Top 150 Contributor
Struer, Denmark
603 Posts
Bronze Member

Fansastic:

Are you planning to do more youtube episodes as well? As a complete audio dummy I find myself well educated by you.

"Planning" and "Doing" are so far from each other these days...

The acoustic tutorial videos are a hobby thing, not a work thing - and the weather's been too good here lately... so my weekends are filled up with dog walking and grass mowing and standing around with a high-pressure washer instead of traipsing around with a camera, making funny noises... :-)

So, to answer your question, yes. I'm planning on it. But I make no promises on WHEN it will happen...

cheers
-geoff

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
3,747 Posts
Founder
Beobuddy replied on Thu, Aug 13 2020 10:31 AM

Geoff Martin:

The acoustic tutorial videos are a hobby thing, 

I've watched these videos and found it a nice visible way to see what happens with the acoustics in different rooms. Much more easy way to understand than years ago where you needed to draw and calculate yourself on a piece of paper. Call it the advantage of nowadays simulation programs. I've pointed others in this YouTube direction if they want more insight/understanding of what happens in different rooms. 

Just wondering whether you still have your "home loudspeaker" (looks like an inflated Beolab 1/Beolab Penta) or whether it is replaced by a nice pair of BL50/90

Geoff Martin:

Isn't there a word for this? Procrastination..Stick out tongue   Something I always have due to the pile of things I want to do and learn.

Mr 10Percent
Top 150 Contributor
So West, Its Now East
478 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi Geoff, 

One for the plan and do (unless im doing something incorrect) is to overcome a bug on start-up volumes. (as opposed to default volume).

My BL90s love going to full tilt (Vol 90) when I play via an Auralic Vega G2 DAC and XLR. 

You have to be very tentative on the B&O App that the slider does not move all the way to max.

Another "Bug" is the trigger sensitivity of XLR - I have this on at -76db but usually I get 20-30 seconds into a track before the BL90s fire up. This may be the processing time, it may be the noise floor - which will be very low on the Auralic.

Any thoughts?

Geoff Martin
Top 150 Contributor
Struer, Denmark
603 Posts
Bronze Member

Beobuddy:

Just wondering whether you still have your "home loudspeaker" (looks like an inflated Beolab 1/Beolab Penta) or whether it is replaced by a nice pair of BL50/90

I still have the "homemade" speakers - although they're disconnected.

My wife told me that I was not allowed to NOT buy a pair of 90's. I promised to love and obey. ;-) 

Beobuddy:

Geoff Martin:

Isn't there a word for this? Procrastination..Stick out tongue   Something I always have due to the pile of things I want to do and learn.

I prefer to think of it as "prioritisation" instead. This is a form of rationalisation...

Or, as Bernard Williams said "I like the word indolence. It makes my laziness seem classy."

Cheers

-geoff

Geoff Martin
Top 150 Contributor
Struer, Denmark
603 Posts
Bronze Member

Mr 10Percent:

One for the plan and do (unless im doing something incorrect) is to overcome a bug on start-up volumes. (as opposed to default volume).

My BL90s love going to full tilt (Vol 90) when I play via an Auralic Vega G2 DAC and XLR. 

You have to be very tentative on the B&O App that the slider does not move all the way to max.

Hi,
This is a new one for me... But I can't quite figure out whether it's a bug in the 90s (which I doubt). the "default volume" in the 90s is the startup volume. But it appears that you're saying that it's the slider in the app that jumps...
Does this only happen with the app? Does it happen with any other products? What software versions do you have in the app and in the 90's?
If you're prefer to take this one off-line, feel free to email me at geoff.martin@tonmeister.ca with the info.

Mr 10Percent:

Another "Bug" is the trigger sensitivity of XLR - I have this on at -76db but usually I get 20-30 seconds into a track before the BL90s fire up. This may be the processing time, it may be the noise floor - which will be very low on the Auralic.

This sounds like the start-up time of the 90s - currently, it takes some time for the front-end processing to boot up after the input signal is detected.
One possible way around this is to use the digital out of your Auralic - but I'm assuming that there is a digital signal coming from it, even when you're not playing anything (different devices behave differently in this respect). The disadvantage of this is that, if this wakes your loudspeakers, and you never turn off the Auralic, the 90s will always be on, which is a stupid way to heat your house.... 
Cheers
-geoff
Mikipidia
Top 75 Contributor
1,472 Posts
Gold Member
Geoff Martin:

The disadvantage of this is that, if this wakes your loudspeakers, and you never turn off the Auralic, the 90s will always be on, which is a stupid way to heat your house.... Cheers -geoff

I agree, get a Harmony 77/88”, it gives you a much more uniform heat source Stick out tongue

New: Beovision Harmony, Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beolab 17's, Beolab 3's, Beosound 9000 mk3, Beosound Stage & LG, Beosound 2, Beoplay M3, Beoplay A1, Beoplay H4 gen 2, Beoplay E8 3.0

Mikipedia on YouTube (finally Stick out tongue )

https://www.youtube.com/c/Mikipedia

Old: Beovision Eclipse, Beolab 1's, Beolab 2, Beovision 10-46, Overture 2300, beolab 8000's, Beolab 4000's, Beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

Geoff Martin
Top 150 Contributor
Struer, Denmark
603 Posts
Bronze Member

Mr 10Percent:

Hi again,

For your information: We're in the final stages of testing a software update that will include a feature that will fix your problem. With the next update, you will be able to select a source manually, which will turn on the Beolab 90s (or 50s) before you press play on the Auralic. This means that you don't have to wait for the loudspeakers to detect a signal and boot up. Of course, the boot up time is the same, but the "trigger" is you, not the incoming signal.

Remember that the default mode will remain the same - automatic detection of the incoming signal to wake the loudspeakers. The manual selection is only for people like you (and me...) who use non-B&O sources for active listening. 

Sorry I couldn't reveal that yesterday (which is why I used the word "currently" in my answer). I just got permission to make that small piece of information public, since we're so close to releasing it anyway. (Don't bother asking "when" - we're still testing it, so I can't answer because I don't know.)

Of course, this also means that there'll be an update of the Technical Sound Guides coming along as well. (which will include the corrections to the mistakes that Martin found (see above...))

Have a good weekend!
-geoff

politician
Top 500 Contributor
142 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi Geoff

I'm looking forward to the new software update.

Will this bring the time-out for the USB-Audio input in line with the other inputs? As we discussed privately, this currently has a maximum of only 60 rather than 900 seconds, which means that when I'm listening to music on my Auralic Aries I have to restart the Lab 90s and reset the volume after taking a short break between albums.

The other oddity, as we discussed, is my Beogram CD 5500's habit of turning off the Lab 90s after every disc, but as this seems to be a quirk of the player not the speakers it almost certainly isn't fixable.

All the best, Richard.

Mr 10Percent
Top 150 Contributor
So West, Its Now East
478 Posts
Bronze Member

Good Day Geoff, 

I saw your previous post late last night - thank you for the reply. 

1. I have tried to replicate the issue I experience regularly and have been working to proceduralise them in my mind. The issue is associated with a cold start (out of standby) on both systems and I think it is because the Auralic DAC is configured to output without its own volume control at 4v. (DAC - not the Streamer, which unlike the streamer has no digital outputs). The BL90 has also been configured for this voltage too and I keep the volume control strictly with the BL90/Essence remote.

What I see is that rather than adhere to the B&O App "Default" volume, the B&O App, (though not exclusively and assuming the App is only a collator of information), blasts through directly to 90/90 and what I assume is taking an unconstrained DAC output at 4v, to an expected input max of 4v XLR in to the BL90, i.e. 90/90 rather than constrain itself to say 37/90 until a new user command is entered. 

2. I find the Auralic Lightning system a bit of a mixed bag. In many ways so good but it is dependent (at I find) on a very fast router. The Auralic quite often takes a "nap" and that sometimes ruins the experience. I guess like yourself, this is often the price we pay for have an effortless ecosystem like the B&Os NL and we bolt on 3rd party gear. 

I would like to thank you for the possible "incorporation" of these issues into the the BL90/B&O App software. There cant be many people wanting/needing this and Im sure there are lots of other more pressing priorities you can be working on instead.

Rgds

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
4,023 Posts
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Fri, Aug 14 2020 3:09 PM
Mr 10Percent:

The BL90 has also been configured for this voltage too and I keep the volume control strictly with the BL90/Essence remote.

Are you saying you can control the volume of the 90s directly with Essence Remote? I have tried to find a way to do that with my 50s but have not been able to get it to work. Currently I control the volume either using the BL50 controls in the app or a BR1 through an ir eye connected to the 50s.

Thanks!

Beolab 50s Beolab 9s Beolab 12-3s Beolab 1s Beolab 6000s 2 pairs Beolab 4000s Beovision 7-55 Beovision 10-40 Beoplay V1 32 inch Beovision Avant 32 inch Beosound 1 (CD player) Beosound 3000 Beosound 5 Core Essence MKII Beoplay M5

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL