Beomaster 3000 - seeking recommendation for small vintage speakers

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 5 Replies | 0 Followers

mojofml
Not Ranked
1 Posts
Bronze Member
mojofml posted on Sun, Aug 9 2020 1:21 PM

Previously I had the Sansui SP 35, but I'm looking for something smaller like a bookshelf speaker with a vintage look just like the Sansui.

Small apartment around 300-400sqft, only use it for music.

Appreciate any advice/recommendation, thank you.

All Replies

trackbeo
Top 200 Contributor
380 Posts
Bronze Member

Vintage look, good sound: 3D Acoustics 3D6-10B (but drivers, esp. the 10B unit may need re-foaming by now)

Small: Canton was making "hideable" speakers in the 1980s (but vintage looks more like Raymond Loewy, not furniture-makers)

Easy to find, but not woodgrain: Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble (the original one (only!); needs placement care to overcome odd freq. curve)

Notice a theme here?  Bookshelf speakers which used some of the earliest separate-woofer designs -- they allow you to get full-frequency sound without cubic volume in the mini speakers.  The 3D's 10" bass unit looks like a fine wood-grain dehumidifier!  But its size keeps the crossover frequency low, so it isn't obvious where it's hidden. The CSW had 2 woofer boxes, allowing asymmetric placement -- may be useful for overcoming standing waves in your small space.

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
11,958 Posts
Founder

Why not some of the models, your Beomaster was sold with originally?

Martin

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
7,143 Posts
Founder
9 LEE replied on Sun, Aug 9 2020 8:20 PM

Dillen:

Why not some of the models, your Beomaster was sold with originally?

Martin

Always a good suggestion.  At the factory they made the speakers of the time sound perfect with the Beomasters' of the time.

trackbeo
Top 200 Contributor
380 Posts
Bronze Member

Kindly make some actual model name/number suggestions for the Original Poster?

Because the BeoVox 3700/3800/4700 of the time were all 23" tall.  Even a 2700 was 16" tall.  The largest of my suggestions, the 3D6 is still "too large" by my estimation, 14" high.  CX50 & CX100 are smaller, but only sounded mostly-OK -- Beocreate up-cycle to fix the flaws, anyone? -- and they didn't look the teak&rosewood part either.

[Edit Hmm.  I was thinking the Beomaster 3000 of the 1970's, because those Sansui speakers were big wood boxes.  (With outstandingly ugly grilles, cool!) If he means Beomaster 3000 of the 1980's then of course the CX & RL match.  But you two still should suggest specific models, because not everybody nowadays "just-knows" what the B&O catalogs & showrooms were pairing at the time...]

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
11,958 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Mon, Aug 10 2020 6:37 AM

OP doesn't state which model Beomaster 3000 he has, so it's difficult to point to what was originally suggested or recommended.
And if the OP wants something looking like those Sansui speakers (1930s art deco style or something like that), perhaps he shouldn't be asking the question in a B&O forum in the first place. B&O never made anything looking anywhere close to that since almost a hundred years.

I will move this thread, it doesn't belong in the Beosound 5 section.

Martin

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL